Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 12-03-2005, 06:55 AM
Arch0wl

I am a high school student; the ones high school students get a kick out of by far is the STDs. Chlamydia trachomatis, Herpes simplex virus, and Phthirius pubis would definitely be top-sellers. SARS would be great too - even though it's not an STD, most kids are familiar with it.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:24 PM

Thumbs up

I would not be at all surprised if more STDs join syphilis and gonorrhea, herpes would be a great addition, wonderfully educational . Hmm, probably should not let the nongeeky students know that , lol.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:56 AM
aerofine

Red face

Id like to see Malaria, Chicken Pox, Mumps and Whooping Cough! I had mumps and whooping cough as a kid so Id love to see them and then buy them!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Efogoto

Typhoid and Yellow Fever are another couple I haven't seen suggested yet. Unless they were suggested in Latin form, in which case I will sit corrected.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:13 AM

Listed as cough, Bordetella pertussis, the causative agent of whooping cough came out in 2004: (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/health/cough.html).
Must have heard you coming aerofine .

Diphtheria along with my earlier suggestion for Tetanus could join pertussis and make a good trio, being that they are all part of the DPT shot.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:44 AM
aerofine

OK Id also like to see Meningitis, Bird Flu, Rabies, Anthrax (not sure - is it a microbe?) and Shingles!

Old 12-09-2005, 03:41 PM

Thumbs up

Anthrax is caused by a micrbobe , by a bacterium called Bacillus anthracis. I heard that there was an anthrax bomb tested on an english island and they had to fire bomb the whole place to get rid of it, sturdy spore former. Meningitis can be caused by several things, might be cool to have one of each, viral and bacterial, made. Gangrene (Clostridium perfringens) could make a nice addition to the family, eww I just read that maggots are used to treat it sometimes !
Old 12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
TexAg

All I can say is...Ask and ye shall receive! On the survey at the end of every order I have placed since I found this company, I asked for Polio, and they made Polio! =)

I would love to see a bacteriophage!!! Lambda rocks! I agree with you all on the rabies idea. An organelle line would be awesome. They would have to be a bit larger than 1,000,000 X actual size though...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 AM

Default Geekfest '05

Not to be a total nerd or diss one of my favorite products but the 1,000,000X thing is not all that accurate, think it is more for dramatic effect than anything, though some of them might be about that in case of the viruses. Just think about it, viruses are way tiny, you need an electron microscope to see them, way smaller than bacteria and the stuffed microbes are about the same size for each and both are listed as 1,000,000X. Also if you calc it out, using my research organism as an example, it is about 1um long (small for a bacterium but I love it just the way it is ), that is a millionth of a meter. Multiply that by a million and you get 1 meter, and that is using a small example, other bacteria can be more than twice as big. While a meter tall stuffed microbe would be cool, real cool actually , none of them currently are. Based on measuring one (it was about 12cm tall) and using 2um as an guestimate size for the actual organism and dividing I estimate the bacteria to be about 60,000X, or 120,000X if you use 1um. Of course my calcs are based on estimates and I don't know the size of each microbe (real or stuffed) without looking it up so these numbers are just ballparks. OK geekfest over, who cares about a stupid number Giantmicrobes are the best !

Also, lambda rocks but T4 is so much cooler looking . Polio is a great addition to the line, very important organism. Last time I ordered (few years ago, my family got me the last round) there was not a survey, when did that start?
Old 12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
SilverTwilight05

I'd like to see some microbes from the immune system, like RBC and WBC.
I'd also like to see an icosahedral virus, a water bear, and pollen.