Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Pollock II
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Let's see, what's it like?

It's like having millions of misquito bites, only when you scratch them, they spread to other parts of your body.

My pediatrician said I had the worse case he'd ever seen. I had 'em inside me mouth and ears, all over the bottom of my feet and in my armpits, between my fingers, on my scalp and even in private areas, not to mention all over the remainder of my body. I was MISERABLE! I had them back when I was about 8 or 9. I got them at day camp from another girl there.

I just laid around my house for 2 weeks itching and taking oatmeal baths and crying and itching and wearing socks on my hands to keep myself from scratching. I still have a couple scars from where I picked at the little scabs.

Once you get them, you can never get them again, unless it's a very mild case the first time around. Most people get them as children, so TB, I'm sure you're bound to get them sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 09-14-2006, 11:29 PM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
Let's see, what's it like?

It's like having millions of misquito bites, only when you scratch them, they spread to other parts of your body.

My pediatrician said I had the worse case he'd ever seen. I had 'em inside me mouth and ears, all over the bottom of my feet and in my armpits, between my fingers, on my scalp and even in private areas, not to mention all over the remainder of my body. I was MISERABLE! I had them back when I was about 8 or 9. I got them at day camp from another girl there.

I just laid around my house for 2 weeks itching and taking oatmeal baths and crying and itching and wearing socks on my hands to keep myself from scratching. I still have a couple scars from where I picked at the little scabs.

Once you get them, you can never get them again, unless it's a very mild case the first time around. Most people get them as children, so TB, I'm sure you're bound to get them sooner or later.
Actually the virus migrates to your nerve endings and can cause shingles later in life, but it is uncommon to get it as chicken pox more than once. My youngest sister had it about as bad as you, it went down her throat and everything. It was not too bad for me, I was a little miserable but only for a few days and then I was bored because I was home with nothing to do. Poison ivy is what made me miserable for a couple weeks, still have red scars from that and discolored skin, the scars will eventually turn white and fade I think, not sure about the discoloration, I am just relieved to no longer be itching. Never wanted to just die before! That is what they should use if they really want to torchure people!
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Giardia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I had chicken pox when i was a baby...I only had about 10 pox!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:19 AM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Well then lets hope you had them enough not have pox again , oh and welcome back!
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Giardia
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

thanks! back to school was taking up my spare time
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Pollock II
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Actually the virus migrates to your nerve endings and can cause shingles later in life, but it is uncommon to get it as chicken pox more than once. My youngest sister had it about as bad as you, it went down her throat and everything. It was not too bad for me, I was a little miserable but only for a few days and then I was bored because I was home with nothing to do. Poison ivy is what made me miserable for a couple weeks, still have red scars from that and discolored skin, the scars will eventually turn white and fade I think, not sure about the discoloration, I am just relieved to no longer be itching. Never wanted to just die before! That is what they should use if they really want to torchure people!
Go to your local health food store and get something called arni-flora gel. It's good for bruises, scars and other minor skin things.

My grandpa has shingles on his face right now, and they're all over his eyelid. They say he could lose his eye. He's had it for about 8-10 weeks now.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
Go to your local health food store and get something called arni-flora gel. It's good for bruises, scars and other minor skin things.

My grandpa has shingles on his face right now, and they're all over his eyelid. They say he could lose his eye. He's had it for about 8-10 weeks now.
Shingles are just awful, hope he gets better soon!!! I am wondering if the vaccine will prevent it, might only if the body has never been exposed to the virus but perhaps it would work after chicken pox infection as well if it causes the immune system to go and weed the dormant viruses out of the nerve endings...

What is in the arni-flora gel? Being a scientist I am extremely skeptical of "natural products" and such, there is pretty much no regulation on them and so many have been proven either ineffective, or the "active ingrediant" is not even in the product or not in the amount they claim. Plus people are lulled into the false sense of security since they figure they are "natural" and that means it is safe, botulinum toxin is natural but I wouldn't want to ingest that... Some potent antimicrobials and drugs have been isolated from nature, as well as a ton of toxins. Also if you go synthetic it is highly regulated, has saftey tests on it, and you have a controlled dose. Too many people are taking too many supplements, some vitamins can cause the body serious damage if too much is taken, like Vitamin A for example. Of course too little can also cause problems, all things in moderation I say, except chocolate, chocolate is yummy !
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 PM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giardia
thanks! back to school was taking up my spare time
I know what you mean!!! I do this when I should be doing something else usually, right now I should be plating yogurt samples and counting plates from a previous sampling...
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
Pollock II
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I was hesitant at first too, but I have a bad habit of pinching my bottom lip (nervous thing) and it gets really badly bruised. I put a little on every day or so and the bruise color and swelling diminishes. It's like some kind of plant goop. I can't really read the tube that well anymore because I've squeezed it all to hell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Shingles are just awful, hope he gets better soon!!! I am wondering if the vaccine will prevent it, might only if the body has never been exposed to the virus but perhaps it would work after chicken pox infection as well if it causes the immune system to go and weed the dormant viruses out of the nerve endings...

What is in the arni-flora gel? Being a scientist I am extremely skeptical of "natural products" and such, there is pretty much no regulation on them and so many have been proven either ineffective, or the "active ingrediant" is not even in the product or not in the amount they claim. Plus people are lulled into the false sense of security since they figure they are "natural" and that means it is safe, botulinum toxin is natural but I wouldn't want to ingest that... Some potent antimicrobials and drugs have been isolated from nature, as well as a ton of toxins. Also if you go synthetic it is highly regulated, has saftey tests on it, and you have a controlled dose. Too many people are taking too many supplements, some vitamins can cause the body serious damage if too much is taken, like Vitamin A for example. Of course too little can also cause problems, all things in moderation I say, except chocolate, chocolate is yummy !
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
Tuburculosis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

i just found out,i had it!as a baby though...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:08 AM.