Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > Health & Education > All about the Science

Old 02-08-2007, 06:45 AM
Maverynthia

i would have to say that I agree that being too clean is a detriment. Every since I had the flu as a kid, I haven't had the flu as an adult, same way with chicken pox. Thus I feel my system has built up an immunity to all types of flu (or I just haven't been exposed to the virus..) while the people that rush out and get flu shot of the day are only really protected against that one strain since they were so clean as to not get it.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverynthia
i would have to say that I agree that being too clean is a detriment. Every since I had the flu as a kid, I haven't had the flu as an adult, same way with chicken pox. Thus I feel my system has built up an immunity to all types of flu (or I just haven't been exposed to the virus..) while the people that rush out and get flu shot of the day are only really protected against that one strain since they were so clean as to not get it.
The flu vaccination is not even close to the same thing. The flu vaccine exposes your body to several strains (3 per shot) of the flu virus that were identified as the most dangerous or most common. As with all vaccinations your immune system then mounts a response against that agent and you are thus immune to it, sometimes a vaccine will also give you partial immunity to a related agent(s), as is sometimes the case with the flu vaccine. It is highly unlikely you are immune to all types of flu as there are so many and they are so different, you are likely just lucky that you have not gotten it. Microbiologists in general, myself included, are strong advocates of vaccinations, they save millions of lives every year. The over cleanliness hypothesis applies to overuse of antimicrobials and not being exposed to organisms like worms, bacteria and such when you are young and the immune system is developing and needs stimulation and not being properly stimulated can lead to autoimmune disorders such as allergies. With chicken pox it is normal to not get it again once you have had it, it is not like the cold or flu viruses where there are so many different versions. Though from what I have heard you can have shingles later in life as the virus lays dormant in your system indefinitely, not sure but that vaccination could possibly prevent that.
Old 02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
crivit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
. Though from what I have heard you can have shingles later in life as the virus lays dormant in your system indefinitely, not sure but that vaccination could possibly prevent that.
Actually I've know a couple of children who got shingles from the chicken pox vaccine. From what I've read it's not common, but it does happen occasionally.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:14 PM

Smile

I use hand sanatizers and wipes. Thats all I use.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:33 PM
mazuac

I've tried to tell my parents to buy more non-anti-bacterial handsoap, but... they don't! I don't know why XD I wish they would, though...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Talking I didn't know!

Lol! I've always been using regular hand soap or regular bars of it! Nothing Anti-Bacterial! I always thought these Anti-Bacterial soaps were good, till I read this thread though! And I'm very glad I did!

-Stomach Ache*Special *Terrified with a smile! * ;D
Old 09-06-2008, 10:34 AM
mazuac

Hah! Lucky~ Yeah, normal handsoap is much better!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 06:18 PM

Lol! It was blind "luck" if you ask me ! And I wish I had more hand soaps around the house, because I barely get to use any of those things! Just bars ...

Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 PM

We have mostly just regular hand soap YAY!
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM

Talking

I like your new Avatar Supergerm!!!!

Where did you get it?