Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Buboe

Default Ice Skating is Dangerous to Your Health: A Staphylococcus Story.

Ice skating is dangerous to your health. Maybe not directly, maybe through a set of random circumstances, but I will never go again, and I strongly advise all of you not to as well. Here is my story:

It was a Wednesday night like many other. I was sitting around the dorm room, bored, when one of my friends bursts through the door, bearing a grin that stretched from ear to ear.
"Let's go ice skating tonight!"

I thought about this, and somehow, somewhere, I knew this was going to be a regrettable decision. Maybe it was instinct, maybe it was that voice in the back of your head that tells you when you're doing something stupid, but this voice of reason couldn't stop me from bursting out with glee "Sure, sounds good!"

It's 7:00 PM and my friends and I are on the skating rink, flying around the ice. Actually, I'm puttering about slowly and stumbling occasionally, but still having a good time. My skates are somewhat loose, and the rough interior acts like sandpaper against my skin. After a half hour or so, it starts sinking in that my ankles are actually starting to throb. Not a pounding ache, but rather a jagged, scratchy pulse, as if someone was sliding a nail file against my legs. Intelligently deciding to ignore this for the time and continue hobbling majestically across the ice, I continued for another half hour until closing time.

We get back to the room, and after removing my socks I notice that there are two jagged, scarlike marks across the backs of my ankles, as bright red as a sunburn and hurting about ten times as much. I think about this for a while, and come to the conclusion that it's probably just a mild skin burn. I climb into bed and go to sleep, unable to lie on my back because of the pain where my ankles meet the sheets.

I'm showering in the morning, and every time the water splashes against my ankles, it literally burns like fire. Deciding to leave my ankles unwashed for the next few days, I go about my business and stop thinking about my injury.

It's five days later, and my ankles have refused to stop burning. My left leg is starting to hurt, and I begin to wonder if I'd rolled or sprained it. After class one night, I take a closer looks and realize to my horror my foot had swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. The little knob on the side of my foot was literally swallowed up in a whitish-red fleshy ball. It was time to take action.

I walked to our local health clinic after several more days, noticing that every day the pain in my left leg became worse. Sure that I had sprained it, I talked to the nurse, who upon examining my leg ushered me directly to a doctor's office. After several hours of waiting, the doctor was finally able to take a look at the ankle.

It was another day until I get a call from the doctor, a call that completely changed my life from then on.

My foot, according to the doctor, was a festering ball of staphylococcus. Apparently as a leftover "gift" from the skates, the staph had permeated the wound and made the leg its permanent home. The doctor told me to come in immediately the following day.

I was told that the infection was very severe, and that if it wasn't caught in time drastic action would have to be taken. I received a shot of a powerful antibiotic, and I'll just tell you that it wasn't in the arm. I was sitting sideways for the next few days.

The next day, the doctor came in and looked at me gravely. The infection was so severe that a decision had to be made. Either the foot would have to be amputated, or the infection would crawl up into the groin area, possibly infecting the lymph nodes. I was in a state of shock so severe that I had to lie back. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, the true impact of what the doctor was saying. However, the doctor also said that if the antibiotic kicked in the way it was supposed to, the risk would drop dramatically and amputation would not be necessary. I breathed a sigh of relief and felt nothing but helplessness as I was forced to wait.

Luckily, the antibiotic took, and after a few weeks of bandages and repeat doctor visits I was able to get back on my feet, and today my ankles look almost normal.

The moral?

Don't Ice skate.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Stx-2

Exclamation

Revised moral: never leave a festering wound unwashed.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:19 PM

Exclamation

I'm with Stx, never ever leave a festering wound unwashed!!! I was a deli clerk for 4 years to pay for my undergrad and had my share of wounds, one went to the bone, I kept them clean and treated them with rubbing alcohol and none of the major ones (aka ones I needed to go to the ER to get fixed) ever got infected. Also never ice skate with ice skates that don't fit right and keep going until your skin is rubbed off, that would account for the initial swelling...
Old 04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
Giardia

I hate ice skating anyways! The skates hurt waaay to much! (I have size ten feet, and I'm only 12!!)
Old 04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
Giardia

Exclamation Oh, No!

I just found out that there is a new antibiotic-resitent strain of staphylococcus...IN MY PROVINCE! I'm never going ice skating, because if I catch it, antibiotics can't save me...NOT AMPUTATION!!!
Old 04-15-2006, 04:54 PM

Relax Giardia, antibiotic resistant bacteria are everywhere and ice skating is not what caused Buboe's problem, not washing a festering wound did that! Besides the staph might not be resistant to all antibiotics, it is usually susceptable to at least one kind (not always but usually).
Old 04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Giardia

People are testing numerous antibiotics on this bacteria, but have had no luck so far. It's just the matter of finding the right one...
Old 04-17-2006, 01:12 AM

Well if people were more responsible with antibiotics this wouldn't be such an issue, I blame all, docs, media, and companies that pimp antimicrobial products are the worst.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Giardia

totally agree. I still know people who take antibiotics for a cold!!! Sheesh, how dumb can one get?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:34 PM

Ack for a cold, how idiotic!!!!