Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Tuburculosis

the squid i did was weird,it was like a plate of jelly and some melty chesses on top,weird...
Old 09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Mmm formadehyde and fish, sounds delightful... Here is a link to a sculpture I made back in the day, http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39767193/, I labeled it and such, might help, might not. Do you have the cool kind that has the two colors of latex injected through the umbilical cord to show which are veins and arteries?

Yes, there are bright blue and red lines all over the pig; they don't look natural at all. He stinks all to hell though, and because we got one of the smaller pigs, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find and label everything. The group next to us was blessed with the largest fetal pig (about the size of a normal one year old piglet) and it's so easy to see things inside of it. Of course they're all screaming whining "ewwwww I don't wanna touch it" sort of girls.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Tuburculosis

you dicected a pig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Pollock II

Yes, I *disected* a piglet. I'm in college, that's what college biology classes are about. Learning things on a more invloved and advanced level.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:18 PM

I did my fetal pig in high school even, it was so cool, I loved my "Eww I don't want to touch it girl" lab partner, let me do all the cool hands on stuff. Though she would help if needed and she was strangely fascinated by the chicken wing dissection, was very hands on for that one, I thought that one was boring so let her play. My pig was a smaller one, it was cute, loved the colored latex, the kidney was so cool because of it, we had done a full sized pig kidney the week before and it was no where near as good as the tiny one because the tiny one showed how it works with the blood vessels highlighted like that. I did not have too much trouble until I got to the brain, the smaller pig's brains were like jelly and so when you went to try to section it they would just disintigrate pretty much. Many of the lab groups didn't actually get to see the intact ones because they were so delicate that they did not make it through opening the skull, I was very gentle and so mine was unscathed until I tried to remove it, that was just not possible. The bigger pigs had much more solid brains. All around it was a great, albeit smelly, experience!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:31 AM
Giardia

My dad was also suprised when I told him we were doing eyeball dissection in grade 8 biology...He said the same thing...he didn't dissect until high school. I'm quite pleased and exited...I've been waiting for dissection since I became fascinated with biology (about grade 5).
Old 09-15-2006, 01:41 AM
Pollock II

In my middle school they saved dissection for the gifted/advanced classes, of which I was never a part. In high school it was required for all biology classes to dissect something; average classes got mud puppies and AP/GT science classesd got sharks I think.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giardia
My dad was also suprised when I told him we were doing eyeball dissection in grade 8 biology...He said the same thing...he didn't dissect until high school. I'm quite pleased and exited...I've been waiting for dissection since I became fascinated with biology (about grade 5).
I always looked forward to the frog, had to wait until 10th grade for it but when it finally came it was awesome! As I remember I had a female frog, somewhat immature. They did not require it, we all did a virtual dissection, those of us geeky enough to want to do the real thing (which really did not compare), had to stay after school to do so. Guess since that class was somewhat required (it was that or earth science to complete the science req) of everyone they did not want the issue of parents going crazy about how awful it is to make their little precious handle a dead thing pickled in a carcinogen... In advanced bio human anatomy the pig was required but the course was entirely elective so you could choose not to take it if cutting up babe disturbed you or your parents. I managed to con my physics teacher into letting me stay in adv bio instead of playing games in his class (there were back to back sections of the bio course) so I could do a more in depth dissection of my pig on the last pig day. I carefully dissected out the entire spinal cord intact, my teacher was very impressed and displayed it during the lab test (called a lab practical).

Never heard of high schools doing mud puppies or sharks, very cool! The frog is an American tradition though...
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 PM

Exclamation

Manners, or whatever you call them, are essential on a forum, the ones that make it have members that respect one another, without that it falls apart. This forum has been around for almost a year, I am one of the original members, I do not want this forum ruined for everyone by people who cannot respect others. I like the fact that we can talk about just about anything from trivia to science (sometimes both at once), I would hate for there to have to be forced structure like in some forums, but at the same time the ridiculous attention seeking crap that has been going on over this past week is beyond uncalled for. Since we have made it clear that it is unacceptable behavior and it has continued I have say it cannot be blamed on ignorance but is being done on purpose. I have made it clear that I am not against young people on this forum, Giardia and I have become great buddies on this thing and she is in the same age group, I never once cared about her age, we talked and had fun. Pollock and I are about the same age, we also get along and talk and have fun on this thing, we even come from somewhat different worlds with her being an english major in Texas and I being a Microbiology major in Iowa.

People have come and gone on this forum but throughout it all there has never been anything like what has gone on this week, the blatant disrespect for everyone on here. I have tried being nice, tried ignoring it, but it is getting to the point where something has to be done. TB has recently shown signs of getting this message, I am very pleased, I like the idea of having more people in our group, especially one that will join in and not just post a few times and drop out. Alex you have been getting worse (as of the last few threads I have read, I see you are on a few others so I am hoping that has changed since I started this reply), and you are the older of the two of you. So once again I am saying this to anyone that it may apply to: If you cannot and will not respect the other members of this forum leave. Anyone is welcome that shows respect, even TB and Alex, if you stop all the nonsense you are very much welcome here and I will be glad to have you both! If not then find other outlets, I am sure there are other forums that are more on your level or would capture your interests better, just do not ruin mine because it does not. Thanks
Old 09-17-2006, 04:09 PM
mazuac

people say that there is still room for an Avian Bird Flu pandeminic... it has already reached canada and i guss it will reach america by winter... from bird migration