Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
Giardia

i suppose my dad was useful at times...earlier in the year, we studies chemistry, which was ok, because we did some cool labs...next year we're studying human biology...one of my favourites!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:56 AM

Chem lab can be a lot of fun! In high school chem we had one where the teacher "sacrificed" gummy bears, he had something that he heated up and when he added the gummy bears they would start on fire and explode and stuff, it was really neat! Then he had a chunk of elemental sodium (not sodium chloride aka table salt) and he showed us how it reacts explosively in water, it was very cool, we ended up playing with it and paper, I know some oragami so I made some things for him to blow up and it entertained us quite a lot ! The funniest was likely the crane, its head kinda exploded, te he!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
Giardia

exploding origami...sounds like a very serious science class
Old 08-08-2006, 02:41 AM

It was great
Old 09-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Giardia

oh, great. our grade eight science teacher is well known for long, boring science lectures! Luckily, we get to do some serious chemistry labs this year, as well as eyeball dissection.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:02 PM

I didn't do any dissections until high school. Then it was optional for the frog, we had to come after school if we wanted to do it, I of course was one of surprisingly many to go for it. Then fetal pig was for human anatomy and it was not optional, my lab partner wasn't into it so I got to do all the work, she was a great lab partner!!! That was the class we did eyeballs in, it was very cool, wait until you see what I think is called the retina, the back of the inside of the ball, it is beautiful!
Old 09-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Tuburculosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giardia
oh, great. our grade eight science teacher is well known for long, boring science lectures! Luckily, we get to do some serious chemistry labs this year, as well as eyeball dissection.
eww!ive done squid diccection,it was like jelly .
Old 09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
mazuac

kool, i wanna dissect a squid
Old 09-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
I didn't do any dissections until high school. Then it was optional for the frog, we had to come after school if we wanted to do it, I of course was one of surprisingly many to go for it. Then fetal pig was for human anatomy and it was not optional, my lab partner wasn't into it so I got to do all the work, she was a great lab partner!!! That was the class we did eyeballs in, it was very cool, wait until you see what I think is called the retina, the back of the inside of the ball, it is beautiful!

We had to dissect some kind of fish my senior year in high school. It was pretty foul, because not only was the room filled with the smell of fourmeldahyde, but a faint fishy odor as well...

We're currently doing fetal pigs in my Bio Lab class. We startede them on Monday, and we'll finish up next Monday. We're labeling all the organs; the pictures in our lab manual look NOTHING like the inside of the pig, so it's difficult to find the specific organs, and the definitions don't really help much either.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:25 PM

Mmm formadehyde and fish, sounds delightful... Here is a link to a sculpture I made back in the day, http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39767193/, I labeled it and such, might help, might not. Do you have the cool kind that has the two colors of latex injected through the umbilical cord to show which are veins and arteries?