Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-29-2006, 06:45 PM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
His parents named him Sean Thomas Decker, and he jokes about being an "STD"...
Yeah I can't decide if I want to do something like that to my potential offspring, though I would use a more obscure acronym than STD, probably be for a kind of microbiological media or something .
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-29-2006, 06:51 PM
Tuburculosis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

as this is non microbes,anyone heard of Club Penguin?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Pollock II
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Yeah I can't decide if I want to do something like that to my potential offspring, though I would use a more obscure acronym than STD, probably be for a kind of microbiological media or something .

I knew a girl who had to have her name legally changed because her parents unknowingly spelled "ASS" with her initials. They had to do it before she entered school so she wouldn't be ridiculed by her classmates.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 AM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
I knew a girl who had to have her name legally changed because her parents unknowingly spelled "ASS" with her initials. They had to do it before she entered school so she wouldn't be ridiculed by her classmates.
That would be so awful ! Glad they caught and were good enough to fix it before she got into school and became a laughstock. It does not take much to become an outcast, children can be so cruel!
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Tuburculosis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

they can, she was A.S.S.?!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-30-2006, 09:59 AM
Pollock II
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
That would be so awful ! Glad they caught and were good enough to fix it before she got into school and became a laughstock. It does not take much to become an outcast, children can be so cruel!
They were trying to please both grandmothers and name her after the both of them, and the order in which the put the names... yeah. I think they just ended up reversing it so she was SAS.


And, kids are terrible. I remember when I was in 2nd grade, and Ronald McDonald came to talk to our school about recycling or some mess like that. He asked for a volunteer to come up on stage, and he picked me. So I get up on stage and he asks "What's your name?" and said "Stephanie" and he shouts "WHAT?! Step on me!?!" in front of the WHOLE school! I was mortified. And then from that day on, everyone ranging from kindergarten to 5th grade at that school called me "Step on me".
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Tuburculosis
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

ha ha!step on you!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-30-2006, 01:29 PM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
They were trying to please both grandmothers and name her after the both of them, and the order in which the put the names... yeah. I think they just ended up reversing it so she was SAS.


And, kids are terrible. I remember when I was in 2nd grade, and Ronald McDonald came to talk to our school about recycling or some mess like that. He asked for a volunteer to come up on stage, and he picked me. So I get up on stage and he asks "What's your name?" and said "Stephanie" and he shouts "WHAT?! Step on me!?!" in front of the WHOLE school! I was mortified. And then from that day on, everyone ranging from kindergarten to 5th grade at that school called me "Step on me".
Now SAS would be funny if she worked in stats since it is a stats program, lol. I had many many horrid names throughout grade school until high school, one was Ann Frank since I resembled the actress who played her in this film we watched in Jr high. The bad thing came about when this one jerk and his sidekick decided to start "joking" about the nazis coming to get me (this was a common theme to that one with those psychos) in PE. They thought they were being hilarious and probably trying to harrass me, well I did not even hear most of it since I was used to ignoring them (they spend copious hours trying to torchure me, I really have no clue why as I never bothered them) and I was not even in ear shot for some of it. The person who did hear them was a Jew whose grandmother had been in a concentration camp from what I had gathered, adn I do not think she knew that it was aimed as me. Needless to say she was extremely upset and left class crying, the story quickly got back to me and I marched over to them and threatened bodily harm if I ever heard that bollocks again, and yes I would have gone through with it too.

Then I became Scout for awhile since I resembled the actress that played her in "To Kill a Mockingbird", but that was in high school and things had gotten more in hand and it was not so much harrassment as amused observation, upperclassmen started it too since they saw the video before my grade, pretty much only the people in my own grade were mean to me, everyone else did not know I existed for the most part. It was so nice at the end of high school when people started to mature or at least become absorbed into their own life and figuring out their future and so either left me alone or were nicer to me. Our 10 year reunion should be in 2011, I should have my degree by then, might be amusing to go there with some letters behind my name and a new title...
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:53 PM
mazuac
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

whats an STD? is it a drug...
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-01-2006, 03:00 PM
kskerr's Avatar
kskerr kskerr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ames, IA/Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazuac
whats an STD? is it a drug...
Sexually Transmitted Disease used to be called VD or Veneral Disease back in the day but STD is now the in term... My Dad calls them VDs.
__________________
~~Nonpathogenic microbes are our friends~~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:11 PM.