Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Tuburculosis

WOW!has anyone been posting and it sais:the information you have posted...iin a pop up?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Icky oozy, bloody wounds for me, it was truely hideous, thank goodness I don't have a roommate!!! I wore long sleeves everywhere except home and the doc office and it was about 90 degrees out (during the heat wave), always wear long pants since I work in a lab. Since I have this other condition it made them turn purple and blue, it was attractive, bleck!!! To say the least I am extremely paranoid whenever I see anything even close to resembling poison ivy now.

Here's a good way to tell: lay your right hand over your left hand and stick your thumbs out. See how both sides of the "leaf" have little "thumbs"? That's what the top leaf of poison ivy looks like. Then the 2 leaves that come down on the bottom (sort of like a radioactive sign) have their "thumbs" on the outside. Put your left wrist over your right wrist, palm down. The "thumbs" make the bottom leaves look like mittens.

So the top leave has two "thumbs" and the bottm leaves each have one "thumb" on the outside edge. Leaves of three, let it be.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
Tuburculosis

ive never had it!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
Here's a good way to tell: lay your right hand over your left hand and stick your thumbs out. See how both sides of the "leaf" have little "thumbs"? That's what the top leaf of poison ivy looks like. Then the 2 leaves that come down on the bottom (sort of like a radioactive sign) have their "thumbs" on the outside. Put your left wrist over your right wrist, palm down. The "thumbs" make the bottom leaves look like mittens.

So the top leave has two "thumbs" and the bottm leaves each have one "thumb" on the outside edge. Leaves of three, let it be.
I am pretty good at spotting it, did much research on the internet looking at different leaf morphologies and such, the bad thing is that there are so many different forms of it, we seem to have them all here! I have seen the bush form, the ivy form, it growing as short weeds, red leaves, green leaves, jagged or smooth, shiny or matte... It is a truely evil plant!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
mazuac

lol, is it possible to be immune to Poison Ivy???
Old 09-20-2006, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazuac
lol, is it possible to be immune to Poison Ivy???
Yes to a point but that "immunity" can come and go so if you are exposed one time and do not get the reaction that does not mean you will not the next or even years later after countless exposures.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:28 PM
mazuac

oh, b/c i have touched and fell into poisin ivy... but it never effected me
Old 09-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Tuburculosis

im immune to it.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:49 PM

Either of you could get it at any time in the future, best to avoid it and if you do come into contact with it wash the area with cold soay water as soon as possibe (studies vary one how soon, some say within 30 minutes some say 1-2 hours). Especially given how allergies work, and it is an allergic reaction, generally first exposure causes what is called "priming" where the immune system sees and figures out what it is and what it should do about it and future exposures have the strong allergic reaction.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuburculosis
ok.but ive touchd it all over.
It has been known to cause people that did not react in the past to react, you never know, if you want to tempt fate be my guest, having experienced it I would not recommend it... Also who knows, perhaps you were touching something that was a look alike and not actual poison ivy, there are many imposters. If someone else touched it as well and got a reaction...