Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-18-2006, 06:32 PM

It is an excellent series written by an awesome author, Ann McCaffrey, most of her books are great (in my humble oppinion )! Here is a link to the list of her dragon books: http://www.annemccaffrey.net/books/s...hronology.html. I first encountered them in a short story in a reader in elementary school or jr high, then later found out there are full lenth books and such and think I have read them all by now...
Old 09-19-2006, 04:18 PM
mazuac

my cousin herd of them! he loved it
Old 09-19-2006, 04:48 PM

What's not to love!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:22 PM
Tuburculosis

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-2006, 05:32 PM
mazuac

lol, cornelia funk wrote a book called "Dragon Rider" i loved it!
Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 PM

I'll have to look that one up when I have time.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
Tuburculosis

ive seen it.never read it,but want to!
Old 09-21-2006, 03:03 AM

E. coli O157:H7 is charactarised by its O (outer membrane carbohydrate, 157) and H (flagellar protien, 7) antigens. It is very similar to the nonpathogenic strains of E. coli, the main difference is it has extra genes which cause the disease state in humans. This organism can colonize cattle and not harm them in any way, these animals can shed the organism intermittantly and so it is difficult to detect which animals carry it and which do not. A cow's feces could test positive one day and for the next month consistantly test negative. If this organism caused symptoms in cattle it would be much easier to eliminate or reduce this organism. Most notable symptoms are potentially bloody diarrhea, cramps, and in some individuals, often the very young and old, it can cause acute kidney failure. It produces the same toxin that Shigella does, the causative agent of dysentery. It has a very low infectious dose, only 1-10 cells may be needed to cause infection, that makes detection of this organism even more difficult as many diagnostic tests require the organism to be present in much higher amounts to be detected.

On a positive note most strains of E. coli are nonpathogenic and many peacefully inhabit the human gut as well as other warm blooded animals and bird and provide benefits to their hosts. E. coli is also extensively used as a model organism in research (organism that is studied and other organisms are compared to), it has been enslaved to make insulin for diabetics, and other compounds of medical importance. It is also an excellent indicator of fecal contamination of water and food sources, in these cases they are not determining what kinds of E. coli are present just that they are.