Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-16-2006, 02:21 PM

First off microbiology is the study of microorganisms, which include fungi, protists, bacteria, viruses, subviral particles, and prions. Fungi should be obvious, mushrooms, molds, and yeast. Protists include things like the amoeba, and giardia, they contain a defined nucleus and organelles are generally single celled but as I recall can also be multicellular. Bacteria are single celled organisms that do not contain a nucleus and pretty much lack organelles. Viruses are intracellular parasites, there is much debate as to whether or not they should be considered living organisms, they only contain genetic material and a shell to store it in. Subviral particles are generally just genetic material, sometimes with a package, they often need viruses to work. Prions are infectious protiens, such as mad cow disease, think of a protein as a sheet of paper that is supposed to be folded, the correct way works fine but then one that is not folded properly comes along and refolds the correctly folded one into the wrong fold and so it does not work right anymore and causes others to be folded wrong as well, that is how it works.

Cell Biology is the study of cells, sometimes it overlaps with microbiology but often it is focused on the cells of higher organisms, such as humans. Human and other higher organisms have cells which contain a nucleus and organelles.

My area of interest and the focus of my study is on bacteria. I have taken coursework in that and general microbiology, virology, genetics, cell biology, molecular biology (which was my undergraduate degree), and some advanced microbiology topics. I am not an expert in any of these areas but I likely know enough for this format as this is not a college class. You said you would like to know about cells. What about them, my cell biology text is the largest of my collection and it contains 1463 pages, this does not include the appendices, table of contents, ect. Do you want to know about animal cells, plant cells, bacteria....
Old 09-17-2006, 04:05 PM
mazuac

my cousin wants to know if anyone here likes harry potter... sorry it's off the topic... and thank you kskerr! i see you didn't get hit byt the tornandoe
Old 09-17-2006, 06:07 PM
Tuburculosis

i dont like it!
Old 09-17-2006, 07:12 PM

Harry Potter is a good series, I tend to like the books better than the movies though the movies are cute and tend to have great graphics.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 PM
mazuac

yes, i agree! the books are quiet good 2. Oh, and kskerr, how did you come up with that name?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 PM

My mom came up with it when I was born, it is a condensed version of my full name. Nothing exciting
Old 09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
mazuac

oh, okay, lol!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:46 PM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Harry Potter is a good series, I tend to like the books better than the movies though the movies are cute and tend to have great graphics.

I love the books, and I love the movies despite their condensed nature.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:57 PM

I also like the movies but as is generally the case the books are better. I heard they are going to do the Dragonriders of Pern soon, I think the graphics are there for it but I hope they can capture at least some of the awesomeness of the books, love that world !
Old 09-18-2006, 03:12 PM
mazuac

dragon riders of pern? never heard.... maybe i will go check it out...