Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-16-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazuac
i know kskerr, but i just wanted to no b/c doctors make good money, so i am starting to think of what i want to be when i am older... sholom
It takes about 8-10 years out of high school to become an MD (which I assume is what you mean by doctor, I am getting my doctorate but it is a PhD). The cost of med school is astronomical but then the return is rather good. Given the cost of malpractice insurance though many MD's are quitting and changing fields. It is almost impossible to get into med school and very difficult to get through it. It is not a decision to take lightly, it is a huge commitment, and you have lives that depend on you, one mistake could kill someone. So now you know several reasons why I decided while still in high school why I did not want to go for an MD. I was also not interested in it really, I care more about what bacteria do and how they work than I do about humans. Originally planned to get a PhD in genetics but then while in undergrad that I was not as interested in that field and how theoretical it had gotten and that I was much more interested in microbiology to begin with (I encountered genetics first) so here I am.

My advice, keep learning and keep your options open. If you finish high school and are still thinking you want to get an MD get a job at a hospital or clinic so you can see and experience that world but try to have your undergrad degree in something that is flexable so that if you either change your mind or don't get into med school (for every 1 seat there are generally at least 500 or so applicants, not good odds), you will not be totally screwed and have to start over or have a not so usefull degree (though there are usually options for most degrees if you have good test scores and GPA, could get a law degree or go into journalism and be a sciece writer or something). You have 6 years to think about this before college, chances are you will change your mind before then, especially if money is the only thing you are thinking about right now. Money was the last thing in my decision, I love what I do and the fact that they actually pay me to do it, that is the coolest thing in the world. That is what you want to go for, something that you enjoy doing, who cares how much they pay you if you hate it and are miserable. I think I wanted to be an architect when I was your age, I changed my mind several times in high school the more I learned and discovered what interested me.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:33 PM
mazuac

okay, thank you!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:49 PM

Another thing, do not make a big deal about the idea of becoming an MD to your family, some of them get nutty about it and freak if you want to do something else, to them it can be a huge disappointment. Also I have known people whose parents refused to help them pay for college since they changed their mind, that is awful and sad but it happens.

Oh I am under a tornado watch now , it is our turn to get one, last time it was U of I that got the twister and time before was us at State... Looks like it will be a few hours before the system gets here at least. Sucks that we are finally getting rain and it is when gardening season is pretty much done, mine is mostly dead at least! Stupid droughts! Stupid severe weather coming at night so I can't watch it blow through, only lightning is cooler at night.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:53 PM
mazuac

lol, plz take care of your microbes, they must not be sucked up into the spiraling vortex of doom! okay... but know really, plz take care
Old 09-16-2006, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazuac
lol, plz take care of your microbes, they must not be sucked up into the spiraling vortex of doom! okay... but know really, plz take care

Thanks, I hope my buildings (apartment and lab) do not get hit if we do have a tornado, last ones to hit only damaged trees on campus and destroyed one home in town. If my lab building were leveled I estimate it would make that an F5 tornado since the scale is based on damage and that building and the equipment it contains is worth millions, very possibly up in the billion dollar range. Of course I would mourn my project being lost but of course it is better that than people being killed. Last year one hit during the home football game and people were tailgating and did not seek shelter, lucky for them it touched down on the other side of town but there was a funnel over my apartment complex that I saw out my window (would not be able to see one at night most likely), that is only about 2 miles north of the stadium. If one touched down there there would have been hundreds killed and thousands injured (there were a few thousand tailgaters that did not go inside, over 10,000 that did go inside).
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
mazuac

wow, then i will pray... for you and the equipment...
Old 09-17-2006, 07:07 AM
Tuburculosis

tornados!i hope none of you microbes fall into it!
Old 09-17-2006, 08:36 AM
mazuac

thats what i said, KSKERR... will survive!
Old 09-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Tuburculosis

torado is wat you mebnt by giant vortex of doom?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
mazuac

yes, it is...