Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Tuburculosis

i hate all math,espellily this: write 987,638,359,032 in word form.
Old 09-16-2006, 09:00 AM
mazuac

HOLY CRAP! did you really have to do that??"? that would suk!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:01 AM
mazuac

i know kskerr, but i just wanted to no b/c doctors make good money, so i am starting to think of what i want to be when i am older... sholom
Old 09-16-2006, 09:02 AM
Tuburculosis

i had to do 7 of those!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
Pollock II

I'm terrible at math. I still use my fingers to add things together, and I barely passed my high school algebra class with a C (I got a 75...).

Then in college I took a "Math in Society" class. AWESOME! We learned how to calculate electric bills (like how much does it cost to keep X amout of appliances on for X amout of time), and we learned about fallacies and all kids of useful stuff that I've actually gone back and used outside of class already. I pulled a high B in that class (Like an 88 I think). Our teacher was a jerk, but the material was fun!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:53 AM
Tuburculosis

u still use your fingers?!?!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Pollock II

Sometimes, like for really big numbers.

Sometimes I'll even draw the equation in the air with my fingers (like using your finger as a pencil).
Old 09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Tuburculosis

Red face

well for big one i do to...
Old 09-16-2006, 03:01 PM

I use my finger to punch the keys on a calculator... I also do it on paper or on the whiteboard in lab (I also diagram my experiments on it sometimes and remind myself of that A Beautiful Mind guy a little), capable of doing things in my head but I prefer to see it and make sure I do not skip anything.

Hmm writing out numbers, that brings back ancient memories. Just wait until they make you learn long division...

Ah so you are an applied math person Pollock. The same equation can be used but if it is in terms of something you can relate to it makes more sense. Probably helped that you had some algebra background going into it. I loved algebra and trig, those were the days, calc was simply horrid and my advanced stats is looming over my head for next semester. The one stats thing I had in undergrad was not too bad, this will likely be worse.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:21 PM
mazuac

i... struggle in math... but the lowest grade i have ever had in SS ( social studies) was a B plus