Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giardia
AAAAGH! Why didn't Pollock mention that sentence two years earlier? The kingdom, phylum, yada, yada, yada, I mean. We learned that stuff in grade 6 and that scentence would've helped alot on the stupid test Mr. Kilbank gave us...

I'm sorry. *shrug* It will come in handy later in life. Trust me.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
It's funny because I didn't really have a prominent drawl till I started going to school in east Texas. Originally I'm a city kid, but being out in the middle of no where, it's become more obvious.
I actually have a bit of a mix of midwesterner accents (since there are more than one), being from Chicago area but with family in IN and now being in Iowa, though IN is more distinct of them all unless you are in certain regions of Ioway I am told, There are 2-3 or so Iowan accents from what I have heard.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Pollock II

My dad's originally from Detroit, Michigan, and he has a weird accent; he'll say "I'm going to warsh my clothes" or "The first president was George Warshington". He's spent about 30 years in Texas though, so he has a pretty neurtal speech now. The north and the south canceled each other out.

My cousins (most of them) are from Detroit too, so when they come to visit (rarely) they'll ask me for a "pop", and I'm sitting there saying "You mean a Coke?" And they're like "I don't drink Coke, I want a pop."

My mom's from Kentucky, but she grew up in Kansas City, Missouri, so she really doesn't have an accent.

I'm the only one in my entire family born and raised in the same state, so I end up being the one with the prominent accent, and of course whereever I go everyone will hear my slight souther drawl and go "OMGZZZ You're from TEXAS!! Where's your big hat!? Do you own a horse?!"

Hehe, I just realized that school has "accentuated" my "accent". (English Nerd Humor)
Old 09-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Tuburculosis

my mom from new york,dad from new york,grandparents from new york,im from new york...
Old 09-15-2006, 08:38 PM

You are such and english dork lol! We tend to call it soda (though some say pop and occasionally I will) where I am from, my aunt in IN calls it coke, that always weirds me out. When I interviewed in Oklahoma a waitress asked someone I was with what she wanted and she said a coke, and the waitress asked what kind and she did not bat an eye but listed some kind of soda. To us if you ask for a coke you get one of two things, a coke or the waitress telling you they have pepsi products not coke. Not sure how y'all came up with calling all soda coke... I was not sure where that wierd accent your dad has came from, warshing lol! I'll have to pay attention and see if any of my Michigan reletives talk like that.

My favorite undergrad prof was from New York, she had mostly assimilated to our accent but sometimes the New Yorker would come out, and she still had the manner of speaking from NY so people thought she was evil but she was really a total sweetie once you figured out she was from the east coast/NY and they just sound like that.
Old 09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
mazuac

i am from Arizona, and you can rarlelly here an accent. My mom is from Michigan and my dad from kentuky... so i have barelly audible accent. but i could trick you into thinking i was from England, i can make myself ha ve such a pure english and indian accent
Old 09-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Tuburculosis

Red face

i thick my 3rd cousin once removed is from nebraska...
Old 09-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Pollock II

Quote:
Not sure how y'all came up with calling all soda coke...
It's like how all facial tissues are called "Kleenex" (which is a name brand) and how all cotton swabs are called "Q-Tips" (again a name brand).
Old 09-16-2006, 11:54 AM
Tuburculosis

i dont call all soda coke.
Old 09-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Pollock II

Because you're from New York.