Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-16-2006, 11:58 AM
Tuburculosis

wat?1 i dont use those.ok?
Old 09-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Pollock II

Then use the private message function that this forum offers, because we're all sick of telling you and Alex to stop. I came on this forum to have fun, not babysit.
Old 09-16-2006, 01:33 PM

I agree with Pollock (but then we all know where I stand). They did bring up an important issue though, the recent muli-state E. coli epidemic. So far there are 19 states known to be infected, they are: California, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. There have been at least 94 cases in this outbreak according to the CDC, 1 death was an elderly lady in Wisconsin. This outbreak is being caused by the 0157:H7 strain, as most are. They have linked it bagged spinach and to at least one grower in California and a recall has been issued for several brands. The advice of the CDC is to toss or boil all bagged spinach, do NOT eat it uncooked.

E. coli has been found on apples before, there have been research studies at my institution about that. If the apples are going into pie then they will be baked and therefore the pie should be safe. A person eating the raw apples or the person baking the pie would be most at risk.
Old 09-16-2006, 02:00 PM
mazuac

i am starting to un-clog... and NO, it hads spread 2 michigan... thats horrible :O
Old 09-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Tuburculosis

e coli?it did?
Old 09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
mazuac

thats what kskerr said...
Old 09-16-2006, 02:11 PM
Tuburculosis

o no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:51 PM

It is cause for concern but I think they have it under control at this point, there could end up being more cases since it takes time to get them reported but it sounds like they have found and are containing the source (the spinach) so this one is likely over unless there is another source as well or people who already bought it do not get the message in time.
Old 09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
mazuac

i went to google news and it said that all stores have removed begged spininch from the shelves hurray!
Old 09-16-2006, 08:31 PM

That is what recall means, you take it off the shelves and try to get people who bought it to bring or send it back.