Old 09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
mazuac

i agree with you
Old 09-13-2006, 08:24 PM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuburculosis
LI is fin,if you hav the write scooll!

The *right* school... clearly there is one out there lacking in proper spelling education.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
The *right* school... clearly there is one out there lacking in proper spelling education.
Thank you, that grammer is bad even by my standards!!! I worry greatly about that school system, think I learned the difference between write and right before 4th grade (probably before 3rd)! But then my school system was one of the best public in the state of IL, and not in NY...

Last edited by kskerr; 09-13-2006 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Pollock II

My elementary school switched to year-round schooling (since we were one of the best in the area) the semester after I moved out of the district. I then moved overseas and went to an acclaimed international school in Saudi Arabia. Then I came back to the states, went to another incredible elementary school (to finish up 4th and 5th grade). Our middle school won several academic awards, as did my high school. In fact, out of the top 100 high schools in the nation, my school was not only in the top 5, but it was only one of 2 in Texas to be selected.

Not to mention that my parents drilled education into me even before I was entered into the school system. My grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side were teachers, and my mom was constantly volunteering at libraries.

It's one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to being a teacher; the atrocious educational system that children are subjected to today. I'm going to make sure that spelling is an essential lesson, as well as literature, because knowing that there are children who don't like to read is gutwrenching.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:36 AM

Scary are the ones that get their high school diploma and can't read and write!!!! There is something very wrong with that! Too much attention is put on the kiddy's self-esteem, gives them a very unrealistic view of how the world works, bosses don't give a crap if you feel good about yourself, they only care that you do a good job, if it is not good enough you are fired. Terrifying is I hear college students whining about how they should get an A since they paid tuition, how messed up is that!!! I get so mad when I hear stuff like that, without having an incentive to do good laziness prevails and most people do not study and learn the material, then they are screwed later when they need that knowledge, and any institution that adopts such a practice would be worthless on the resume, "They went to U of Whatever, that is a diploma mill, next candidate!" Sounds like you have a very good background and will make an awesome teacher. You should move to and teach in my area if I have offspring !
Old 09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Pollock II

Did you see my post where I mentioned an article that discussed how there are many grad students that don't know the deifnitioin of simple words like "advocate" and "novel"?

Just because you pay about $900 -$1,000 for a single class doesn't mean that you're going to get an A for spending that much money. If anything, you should work harder in more expensive classes to get your money's worth. If you want to screw around and skip class, then find somewhere that lets you take classes for $10 so you don't really lose any money.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Tuburculosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Thank you, that grammer is bad even by my standards!!! I worry greatly about that school system, think I learned the difference between write and right before 4th grade (probably before 3rd)! But then my school system was one of the best public in the state of IL, and not in NY...
i was joking about the spelling,if you are talking about my post,ok?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuburculosis
i was joking about the spelling,if you are talking about my post,ok?
One sentence was joking, the rest...
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
Did you see my post where I mentioned an article that discussed how there are many grad students that don't know the deifnitioin of simple words like "advocate" and "novel"?

Just because you pay about $900 -$1,000 for a single class doesn't mean that you're going to get an A for spending that much money. If anything, you should work harder in more expensive classes to get your money's worth. If you want to screw around and skip class, then find somewhere that lets you take classes for $10 so you don't really lose any money.
I don't remember that one off the top of my head but it is very scarey! Novel is a big bus word in my field, everything is novel. I went to an undergrad that for a summer class I paid $550 per hour, it was about $16,000 a year when I started and up over $19,000 when I finished, I worked my butt off to make sure I got my money's worth and it is a great school with some tough courses to weed out the crap students. One day a jerk sent out an e-mail to everyone and blasted several professors (though gave kudos to one I adored) because they fail students when they do not pass the tests (novel concept I know). Blathered on about how we are paying all this tuition so we should not be failed but get an A. I did not actually read the e-mail, talked about it with my prof and another guy who did since they took it out of the mailboxes as soon as it was discovered (he violated the rules sending it as a bulk I think, only clubs and such were allowed to do so), but I was truely outraged. The whole point of going to that school is that they are respected and the degree you come out with is respected, if they catered to people like him it would turn my beloved undergrad into a diploma mill and the only reason my investment would not be a complete waste at this point is that I will have my doc at a reputable university, my undergrad degree would be worthless! You don't spend thousands of dollars to buy a degree, you pay thousands of dollars to earn a degree, big difference, if you can't pass organic chemistry (a truely evil class used to week out premeds that should not be premeds) then you should not be a doctor and I would not want you as my doctor and you would never make it through medical school (yes the guy was a premed wannabe).

Side note, I do not recommend summer class, it is evil!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Giardia

Our English and Grammar programs probably aren't much better than in the US...I just choose to read the dictionary and plenty of advanced literature to amuse myself...by the age of six I was using the word antidisestablishmentarianism in sentences. Therefore, i am probably ahead of the required ability for Gr. 8 English.