Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 08-30-2006, 10:30 AM
Pollock

Default Microbes on my Mind

I don't know about you guys, but I find myself thinking about my little plush friends randomly throughout the day, like when I'm eating chicken in the school cafeteria, I think of dear little salmonella, and e. coli. Or when I watch the track team run on campus, I think of athelete's foot.

Today I thought of Flu.

We were learning about Bird Flu vs. influenza in my Human Bio class today, and I kept thinking about little Flu sitting comfortably on my bed back in my dorm.

What makes you think of your Microbes?
Old 08-30-2006, 09:58 PM

Smile

I think of microbes pretty much all day long, I am in food microbiology, advanced food microbiology, microbiology seminar, and oh yes I work as a microbiologist ! Of course I am generally not thinking about the plush variety, those I generally think about when I am in my office and they are in front of me or when I visit the building that houses the microbiology office and there are some in the undergrad micro club's display boxes since they sell them as a fundraiser. I usually am not too concerned about microbes in my food, I went all paranoid for awhile when I first learned about the food borne pathogens but have since calmed down and just try not to be stupid but not worry. Sometimes I think people are better off not knowing some things because then they get all nutty and upset and there is really no need to, like there are bacteria on the washed fruit you eat, so what, the likelihood that they are pathogens is rather low, and even if there were there would have to be enough of them to make a healthy adult get sick! The flu is actually a pretty interesting bug for a virus, I enjoyed learning about that one in virology last semester.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
Pollock

I remember I once told someone that you can have good and bad bacteria in your mouth (since the good kind is beneficial) and she flipped out screaming, "There's no such thing!!" and I think she still brushes her teeth 5 times a day because of it.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:17 PM
Tuburculosis

hi,im new to the forum,i have 16 microbes now.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 PM
Tuburculosis

also,how do you get an avatar? i dont have one,but i would if i knew how.
thanks. ohh,and some people have things after their posts,likekskkers is ~~nonpathogontic microbes are our freinds~~,or somthing like that,is that just a thing you type eack time,or what.is it automatic?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:42 PM
Tuburculosis

Smile

i fiugured out how,nevermind
Old 09-02-2006, 02:50 AM

What a freak, more bacteria are good than bad!!! She likely doesn't know that yogurt is made with bacteria and if it is truely yogurt it is supposed to contain live and active cultures!!!
Old 09-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Giardia

active bacterial cultures...yummmm
Old 09-03-2006, 12:50 PM

OK something weird is going on with this forum, this is the second time I have been in a thread that TB has posted on supposedly before me, this time I KNOW it was not there when I saw the thread and responded, even if it were the day I stayed up all night and worked 15 hours the next day (fun times) I still would not have missed three posts!

I love my active bacterial cultures , they come out of the incubator today and I get my results from this insane week's study, I am extremely excited about it, may have made a significant discovery . Hope my beloved PI thinks so!
Old 09-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Tuburculosis

Talking

haha!!!!!!!! i dont know why either,