Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-15-2006, 10:58 PM

That is what we were talking about in this or another thread, and I kinda explained how that is possible. Some of my page long posts...
Old 09-16-2006, 07:11 AM
Tuburculosis

im not saying there is anything wrong,just ,its so BIG!
Old 09-16-2006, 11:29 AM
Pollock II

Quote:
I think that 200,000 deaths worldwide estimate sounds pretty low actually, maybe if that were for North America it would be closer

They're assuming that most of the deaths will be in the US my teacher said.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Tuburculosis

oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
Pollock II

It's because people are mean and sneeze on things and dont' cover their mouths and they don't wash their hands after using the restroom... YUCK!

I was watching something on TV the other day where they tested a bowl of mints at a resteraunt (you know, the ones you can pick up on your way out) and they showed all these mints under a blac light, and it showed feces and urine on them!! The guy who did the research said that it's because very few people wash their hands. Not to mention that all the knobs in the bathrooms were covered in germs and stuff. I'll wash my hands after using the restoorm and when I get back to the table, I'll use my hand sanitizer that I keep on my keychain. I don't want to ingest someone else's fecal particles because they were disgusting and didn't wash their hands!
Old 09-16-2006, 02:20 PM
Tuburculosis

THATS GROSS!yuck!urine and feices(spelled wrong,writre)!
Old 09-16-2006, 03:23 PM

Write is when you string words together, Right is when you are correct...

Hand washing is important though I am sure there are other things that fluoresce under a black light and so it might not be as dire as you fear. Most of those studies you have to take with a half a grain of salt because many are not conducted using proper science, they have much bias in them, and they only publish things that sound sensational. That is why I deplore the media so much, they publish crap like, "There are a million bacteria on the toilet seat!!!" and just freak people out. There are likely less bacteria on those seats than their used to be since cleaning solutions are getting better, bacteria are everywhere and on pretty much everything and most are not harmful so who cares. Guess what, I found there are over 1,000,000,000 bacteria per mL in yogurt, ooooo, scarey, better call CNN! Oh they could multiply it out and give the total number in the whole container, that would be an even bigger number, and I could be listed as a "lead investigater" in my field or something when I am just a lowly grad student.

For those of you who do not know, not Pollock because she knows this already, yogurt is made with bacteria and those bacteria are not harmful and many of them are beneficial even.

Most deaths would occur in third world countries for obvious reasons. It would likely hit us hard but I think that the death rate for us would be much lower than for them given our resouces and our public may be educatable (though thus far I admit that they are largely ignorant masses of uneducated stupidity).
Old 09-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Tuburculosis

i know its made with bactiria.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:51 PM

Not everyone does...
Old 09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
mazuac

i didn't' know that snot was made with urine and fecis...