Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-15-2006, 12:20 AM

Most people think so, I did until my microbiology professor gave that lecture...
Old 09-15-2006, 12:24 AM
Giardia

wow, good to know
Old 09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
Pollock II

A symptom of HPV is genital warts. It's weird that we're talking about HPV and cervical cancer, because today my friend's mom was diagnosed with cervical cancer, but she's going in for an LEEP treatment soon, and they have a really high success rate and they're pretty inexpensive, not to mention that it's a pretty simple proceedure.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:14 PM

Scarey, hope they caught it in time and everything goes great with the treatment! It is very exciting when they discover an organism that is responsible for something like that and can make up a vaccine against it. H. pylori, the stomach ulcer bug, has been linked with stomach cancer risk, no vaccine for that one as of yet, not sure if they are working on one but would not be surprised if they were, it would not be the easiest bug to make one for I don't think, it is an extremely high mutable bacteria, pretty much impossible to get a bunch of identical cells like most bacteria, though last I remember there are only two versions of one of its main proteins, they might target that one...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Pollock II

It's a big step towards ending cancer as a whole.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Tuburculosis

i know,but some flu?some ARE just a bad bad bad cold.some are deadly,but some are just nothing.whick kind are you talking about?
also,kskerr!that is the HUGEST post ive ever seen.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
Pollock II

All influenza strains have the potetial to be deadly. And they are in a lot of cases. Flu also mutates, like I was saying earlier, which makes researchers very worried because the flu that is out this year is only 2 proteins different from the Bird Flu (a deadly disease with a rediculously high mortality rate), and if influenza mutates into bird flu, they're approximating that 200,000 people will die world wide, many in North America, especially if people have not gotten vaccinated.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Tuburculosis

yes,bird flu is deadly.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:29 PM

Nothing wrong with a long post if it has a point, mine was informational. There are many factors involved with the flu and whether or not a particular stain is deadly or not, many have to do with the person. TB and I could get the same exact strain but since I am an overworked grad student that does not get enough sleep or food I might get it worse, or my immune system might partially recognise it from previous infections with similar strains and I might not get is as bad. Also women tend to have stronger immune systems than men (poor defective chromosome bearers). I think Africa would be screwed if the asian bird flu makes the jump (or any super strain of the flu), the AIDS population is so high and they are worse prepared to deal with it than we are. Any immunocompromised individial would be at risk, HIV/AIDS patients, organ transplant recipients (or anyone else taking immunosuppressives), diabetics, pregnant, young and old.

As I learned to do when I was learning lab techniques in micro, it is always best to assume the worst. The bacteria you are working with might be totally safe but it is best to treat it as you would a dangerous pathogen. Same with flu, you never know if a strain might be deadly, or deadly to you, so it is best to treat it as if it is and get the flu shot if at all possible and soon since we are getting close to flu season and it takes a month or two for it to really kick in.

I think that 200,000 deaths worldwide estimate sounds pretty low actually, maybe if that were for North America it would be closer, that last massive killer pandemic killed way more and there were less people back them and they did not have the HIV pandemic going around at the same time. The US currently does not have much in place to combat it, people have gotten too complacent about disease control since antibiotics, vaccines, and such have halted things that would have turned into large epidemics, most times break outs of disease are small and not too deadly like in the days before the new and rapid testing methods came out and there were vaccines et al. Back in the day, when my Dad was growing up, they had quarantines and that is how they stopped the spread of disease, those are pretty much unheard of here. People don't want their freedoms trampled, well I am all for freedom and all but sometimes you have to act in the best interest of society (though I admitt I went to work as a deli clerk with the flu, but I knew how to prevent spreading it to a point).
Old 09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
mazuac

i was reading in the newspaper a while ago that bird flu might muutate into a form that can be transmitted from person to person... scarry...