Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 02-02-2007, 05:43 PM

Smile New People Say Hi

OK we have just had a rash of new people starting up "Hi" threads, which is fine, but I thought perhaps it would be easier to have a thread devoted to it to keep it all together and more manageable. Though there is the Welcome Wagon thread in the other section this is the main section people go on so perhaps it would be good to have one here. So welcome new people, you can introduce yourselves here and I hope you have fun and enjoy this forum as much as those of us who frequent it and look forward to getting to know you .
Old 02-03-2007, 06:54 AM
bh518

Default Hullooo

Hi im a new member! just wanted to take part in what is clearly the greatest craze sweeping the world! i own 15 giant microbes at the moment. was wondering if anyone knows when the next batch of new microbes is going to be released, because arn't we now due some more?!! also does anyone else thing a giant T4 Bacteriophage would be a cool one to have?! just a thought....
Old 02-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Giardia

Supposedly, they were going to release T4...it was delayed for some reason
Old 02-20-2007, 10:56 AM
mazuac

hi, i am not new but havent been on in awhile, so i thought i should say HI!
Old 02-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Influenza

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I've known about GIANTmicrobes for a little while; first learned about 'em on ThinkGeek. I thought they were cute, and always planned on ordering one, but never got around to it.

Welp, I finally got around to it! Just yesterday I ordered my first microbes, the flu and syphillis. I've always thought the little green flu was cute. It's my favourite, hence my username. Anyways, after researching these plush microbes some more, I found this site, the people that actually make GIANTmicrobes! I'd never known there were so many! In addition, today I ordered four more, the common cold, mad cow disease, stomach ache, and black death. I just couldn't resist, and I've just received my paycheck, so I had some extra cash to blow. And today I found these forums. Nice little place here! I'm hoping to continue my collection of plush microbes; and now my family will always have an idea of what to get me! Glad I finally got into the microbe spirit! Hopefully I can learn a bit more about microbes and such from all you microbiology majors out there!

Anyways, my name is Shelsea, I'm fifteen years old, and currently reside in upstate New York. I'm not a huge sciene/math fan, I'm more into art and English. In fact, I'm working on my art sequence major and plan to major in some type of art or photography and minor in English literature (creative writing). However, I do find some parts of science to be interesting, especially biology, and these little plushies certainly help my interest grow! It's not that I'm necessarily "bad" at science, I actually know quite a bit about it, next year I'm planning on taking an AP Bio class as well as AP Physics. However, I just find parts of it (especially chemistry and things that involve math, like physics) quit boring, unless the topic is one that really captures my interest or something. I love discussions and labs, don't love write-ups and tests. Bio is definitely my favourite, though. I'm also a big animal advocate and vegetarian. I think that's part of the reason why I don't like science. You know, animal testing, dissection, and all that. But cruelty free science is fine by me! Not my favourite thing in the world, and not what I want to be doing the rest of my life, but parts of it are definitely interesting and fun (microbes, for instance). I'm hoping to do some cool photos/drawings of my microbes once they arrive for my art courses.

Anyhow, I hope to meet some new people on here as well as help my collection grow! I love collecting things. I collect pigs (any kind), Ty Beanie Babies (not avidly, just ones I like), Neopets plushies (have all of them), Webkinz plush, and any animal advocacy things (like PETA stuff, as well as clothes and stuffies). Hopefully in the next few days I'll recieve my first microbes in the mail! I ordered 2 day shipping, haha! I'm trying to find a store that sells them near me; I've gotta check a local museum out. See you around, I hope!

Last edited by Influenza; 02-27-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:38 PM
Influenza

Hi again guys. I just wanted to post again and say that today I returned home to a large box on my stoop! I rushed in and opened it, and found exactly what I've been pining for! Yep, today I received my first ever GIANTmicrobes! The common cold, stomach ache, black death, and mad cow disease arrived in the mail today.

I absolutely love them! I love the cold's vibrant blue colour, stomach ache's cute little cilia, black death's cute kidney bean shape (OF DOOM), and mad cow's lovely spotty pattern. They are a bit smaller than I imagined, and black death's got a wonky piece of hair that makes him look like he's been played with for a few years, but that's alright. He is medieval, after all! I'm absolutely thrilled with my first microbes, and can't wait for my flu and syphilis to arrive.

On that note, I'm waiting rather impatiently for them. I ordered them on Sunday, and it has been three business days and they have not even been shipped from ThinkGeek yet. I ordered the other four on Monday, and with two day shipping they arrived today, a day before schedule (they were shipped yesterday). I certainly hope my other two arrive soon! I can't wait for the flu! I battling myself inside my head and telling myself that I shouldn't order anymore. But I want cough and malaria! Gah. These things have definitely got me hooked.

Sorry if this post was a bit off topic, but I figured it would be okay in the welcome thread since I'm welcoming my first ever microbes! Well, see you all around!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:31 PM

Lol, bit off topic but we often are here, there is a bragging thread somewhere in here, tehe. Welcome to the forum and the obsession with GIANTmicrobes. Not too many of us are micro majors, I am one of the ones who is. We have an english major. Have you ever ordered from the thinkgeek site before? I found the birthday present I want to get for my boyfriend on there, though it is currently out of stock , now I worry that they are slow shippers too. I hope they get it back in time, I will be seeing him in about a week and a half, his birthday is actually in less than a week but I am stuck in Iowa until the 10th of March (assuming I get spring break off, if I don't I will be upset). It is so cute, "rocket launcher" that hooks to the computer and shoots little nerf rockets, lol. I am guaranteed to be shot at if I get it for him, whether he likes it or not, though I think he will get a kick out of it .
Old 02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Influenza

Thanks kskerr! Well, these two orders were the first time I've ordered from them. Actually, I think that they are pretty decent shippers, compared to some other companies. I mean, the one order arrived in two days, and I just checked on the other one. Sure, it took three business days to ship, but it was supposedly shipped today and on the UPS tracker it says it's already in NJ. I'm in NY, and scheduled delivery is supposed to be tomorrow, so with any luck I'll have syphilis and the flu tomorrow afternoon! And that's with UPS Ground, not overnight or even two day shipping. I think the processing part is what takes the longest; once it's shipped it gets here pretty fast.

I saw that rocket launcher! It's funny. I also ordered this gun that shoots "balls" of air. So some non-knowing person is across the room, you shoot a ball of air at them and they wonder what and who they were hit by! I can't wait to get it and try it. Oh, and I'll have to find the bragging thread, too!
Old 03-02-2007, 05:45 PM

Oh cool. I ended up finding another website that sells it, turned out to be cheaper anyway, unfortunately I found a third even cheaper one AFTER I ordered it from the second site ! Oh well, as long as it gets here in time I am fine! The order tracking thing says they shipped it already, hope that is true and it is here soon, I am all excited to get it here. Very much hoping I will not regret having it sent here instead of to my parent's house (I go to school and live year round in Iowa, family and boyfriend live in Chicago).
Old 03-27-2007, 07:27 PM
Lunareve

Hello, I am new I love these GIANTmicrobes . Especially the Common Cold.