The Pox 7 20.00%
Bed Bug 3 8.57%
Giardia 9 25.71%
E. coli 9 25.71%
Salmonella 4 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2006, 10:24 PM

Smile

When I took Cell Biology I discovered that genetics was pretty much all about molecular biology (my undergrad major), which I find rather boring. Microbiology has more options for those of us not so into the molecular stuff, some researchers focus on it, some use it as a tool but do others things as well, and others don't do any at all. I recommend keeping the options open until you get a taste of mo bi (or moly bio as the Iowans call it) and then decide. Good luck with Biochem GERM , I'm taking it for the second time as well. I am finding it less evil as a grad student than I did as an undergrad but that may change as I have a different prof this semester. Oh and I got Salmonella from my sister for Christmas, she labeled it as from her new pet lizzard that I told her not to buy since it could get people sick. I love how it has a flagellum nose ! Now there are only 3 that I do not have, perhaps my birthday will solve that problem .
Old 01-30-2006, 12:43 PM
297hakr

I have to go with hardcore Ebola. The mortality rate and manner of death speak for themselves.
Old 01-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Shark's Protein

Oops, I forgot to press bed bug by accident. Could someone not voting for it please press it to make up for me?
Old 02-07-2006, 09:30 PM

I find viruses kinda boring, bacteria are where its at! I have learned about these subvirus things (viroids) in virology that don't encode for a protein, they just replicate and yet they can cause disease (plants) ? As I recall the theory is that their presence/being replicated does something to the host that causes the symptoms. Two more classes and no more virology, ah the joys of a 5 week course !
Old 02-09-2006, 08:14 PM
297hakr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
I find viruses kinda boring, bacteria are where its at! I have learned about these subvirus things (viroids) in virology that don't encode for a protein, they just replicate and yet they can cause disease (plants) ? As I recall the theory is that their presence/being replicated does something to the host that causes the symptoms. Two more classes and no more virology, ah the joys of a 5 week course !
It's hard to believe that just a little bit of RNA can make up an entire pathogen.

I think the simplicity and functionality of viruses makes them cool, but I am also definitely a bacteria guy.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Doctor Johnny Fever

Ebola has talent, though! It's an undetectable and uncurable new-comer.

Also, Outbreak was a pretty okay movie. Not great, but the casting was decent. I like Wolfgang Petersen, too.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:43 PM

Given that not many things give the symptoms of ebola, I would say that it is rather detectable. Hmm, liquified organs, wonder what it could be... Wouldn't be surprised if they don't have a test for it or are working on one, though since it is so virulent and presents the obvious symptoms after a very short incubabtion they don't really need one. All viruses are incurable, we can treat the symptoms and help the body fight it but the immune system has to beat it off to be totally rid of it. Of course some bacteria are becoming the same way with the antibiotic resistance and all.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:37 PM
Giardia

GIARDIA IS THE COOLEST MICROBE EVER!!!
Old 02-26-2006, 09:36 AM
Askor

I think that Flesh Eating is my favorite

If anyone of you have read Rakkety Tam then you know where the name Askor came from (A flesh eating wolverene)
Old 02-26-2006, 11:04 AM
Giardia

There is a resistance in bacteria nowadays because people immediately turn to antibiotics. Streptococcus pneumoniae, for example, was mentioned in the tag as having new resistant strains. (Everyone I showed him to said he looked like an owl). My favourite is still giardia, though.

Last edited by Giardia; 02-26-2006 at 11:25 AM.