Kissing Disease 6 17.14%
The Pox 7 20.00%
Bed Bug 3 8.57%
Giardia 9 25.71%
E. coli 9 25.71%
Salmonella 4 11.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2005, 12:03 AM

There is some evidence that Yersinia pestis did not cause the black death, not proven yet as far as I know but some of it is quite compelling, and there is other evidence supporting it being Y. pestis. It is still a very important organism and does cause what we call plague so either way... This may well be the new unresolvable debate in microbiology, up there with is a virus a living thing.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM
Efogoto

I keep Black Death on top of my cubicle to threaten less than welcome guests. Ebola guards my phone, ready for telemarketers and such. It would be a pity if y. pestis were not so potent as I need. Now I really need smallpox as a backup. Sore Throat just isn't enough, and flu is busy staring over the wall at my neighbor.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:36 PM

Y. pestis is still a killer, even if it did not cause the black death. Either way I would stay away from it!
Old 12-02-2005, 06:01 PM
paperboat917

I particularly enjoy Cold. It has bumps.
Old 12-24-2005, 02:06 PM
Shiggy

Well, since I've only seen two real giantmicrobes (two more are on their way over, and I'm planning on getting yet another two with some of my Christmas Funds ), I'd have to go with Sore Throat. It's adorable. 0.0 Stomach ache is kinda cute, too. ^^

If anyone had any doubts about what I wanted to major in in college, those doubts should be stifled after they see how obsessed I am with the little buggers. XD Unfortunately my dad threatened to fry my microbes (while my step-mom planned on attacking them with antibiotics) if I didn't have my college essays completed by... well, last night, but they're done, so my stuffed friends will survive. Yeesh. </ramble> Microbiology, here I come.

My current favorite microbe is Sore Throat, however. It always regards me with this pleading/terrified/vacuous expression.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:48 AM
Ebola Cactus

EBOLA.. well thats obvious, I think the TB is adorable! and so is the Mad Cow X3
Old 12-30-2005, 12:45 AM

Smile

Welcome to the fold Shiggy, good luck getting accepted into the college you want! My college did not have a micro major, though I was originally into genetics (there was not a genetics major either) when I was an undergrad, did not fall in love with micro until I was a Jr, so it is a good thing otherwise I'd likely have taken forever to get a degree. Microbes are all adorable, real and stuffed !
Old 01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Shiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
Welcome to the fold Shiggy, good luck getting accepted into the college you want! My college did not have a micro major, though I was originally into genetics (there was not a genetics major either) when I was an undergrad, did not fall in love with micro until I was a Jr, so it is a good thing otherwise I'd likely have taken forever to get a degree. Microbes are all adorable, real and stuffed !
Thanks! I've been into the whole biology thing for a while, but I'm still deciding on whether to look more into genetics or microbiology. Both are extremely cool.

Ebola Cactus, after reading The Hot Zone, I've gotten the urge to buy the little Ebola critter as well. But perhaps the one being sold is the Reston strain. Keep the monkeys away!
Old 01-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Vireyda

I voted for Yeast Beer & Bread because it just looks so darn cute, but the two I bought at the Ontario Science Centre yesterday were Fleah Eating Disease and HIV, but they weren't voting options.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:27 PM
GERMan

Cute-wise, the common cold shortly followed by yeast. But when it comes to cuddling, yeast has to make place for my little green flu friend. Flu is currently helping me repeat biochemistry for an exam... looking forward to my masters time, when I can opt for microbiology/virology to add some color to my studies

Last edited by GERMan; 01-10-2006 at 01:31 PM.