Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > Health & Education > All about the Science

Old 11-18-2005, 09:38 PM

I use body wash and a loof thing, it helps get the dead skin off, plus I think it is cheaper than the shampoo (at least the brand I use might be). Water alone would be somewhat effective from what I have heard, the soap makes it more effective. I think the water is what is doing most of the work as far as washing microbes off, the soap helps cut oils and helps get rid of the potentially stubborn ones. I get dry skin too, I have lotion to solve that problem, I suggest getting a bottle and keeping it by the sink so she can wash her hands and then use the lotion to heal/prevent the dryness . I get the ones that brag about how ultra healing they are and especially ones that do not stink, and the pump top bottles are the best (Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Healing is my current favorite).

Karen
Old 11-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Efogoto

Some of us, having lost our locks, no longer have a need for shampoo and so use only soap.
Old 12-29-2005, 12:39 PM
jack1

Hello All,

This is really the very good discussion regarding the antibactirial soap and medication.We are some times facing the antibactirial disorders which is sometime very serious and important thing is to use tha right medication.iodine dosages are doing some better performance in this field .Is this better and what are the side effects for that and which precautions are needed is necessary.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:49 PM
Vireyda

I use body wash because I have senisitive skin and it doesn't aggravate it as much, plus the loofah is a great exfoliant! Soaps are important for removing dirt and oils even if they aren't good at removing microbes/bacteria. I don't use an antibacterial hand soap though - moisturizing hand soaps only in my home and they HAVE to smell nice.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 PM
GERMan

Another interesting one, on disinfectants and allergies, from wikipedia.org, query: "allergies":

"The hygiene hypothesis
One theory that has been gaining strength is the "hygiene hypothesis". This theory maintains that since children in more affluent countries are leading a cleaner and cleaner life (less exposure to dirt, extra use of disinfectants, etc), their immune systems have less exposure to parasites and other pathogens than children in other countries or in decades past. Their immune systems may, therefore, have many "loaded guns", cells which might have targeted, say, the intestinal worms that no longer cause trouble in affluent neighbourhoods. Having no reasonable target, these cells inadvertently become activated by environmental antigens that might only cause minor reactions in others. It is the symptoms of this exaggerated response that is seen as the allergic reaction.

Many common allergies such as asthma have seen huge increases in the years since the second world war, and many studies appear to show a correlation between this and the increasingly affluent and clean lifestyles in the West. This is supported by studies in less developed countries that do not enjoy western levels of cleanliness, and similarly do not show western levels of incidences of asthma and other allergies. During this same period, air quality, at one time considered the "obvious" cause of asthma, has shown a considerable improvement. This has led some researchers to conclude that it is our "too clean" upbringing that is to blame for the lack of immune system stimulation in early childhood.

So far the evidence to support this theory is limited."

Speaking of soap, it's better than antibiotic-enriched soap but mind that soapbars are known to be mostly high in pH. Meaning, they're mild bases and take away our natural acid protection...

I think antibiotic soap should be left to people dealing with mean shoot, like doctors and nurses or tourists in the tropics.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:41 PM

Lightbulb

The reason poli took off in the US is because of the same thing, kids were not exposed to the virus as infants on their mother's milk which would have protected them while they made their own antibodies to the virus. When the kid was exposed to the virus later in life they had no protection and got sick. Perhaps exposing children to mild parasites so that their immune system has something to play with is the answer. Also not keeping everything psychotically clean all the time, let the kid play in the dirt or something. My siblings and I were raised tough and did not miss much school, my cousins were raised in a more sterile environment and seemed to get sick a lot more.
Old 02-26-2006, 09:13 PM
Giardia

Thumbs down

We use anti-bacterial soap, but I don't like it. Besides killing the good bacteria, which can make you sick, it really dries your hands out. I also accidentally swallowed some, and it was so corrosive that I had a sore throat for 3 days!
Old 03-04-2006, 03:23 PM

Smile

The chemicals they use to make soaps "antimicrobial" are generally not supposed to be taken internally... You might also have knocked out some of your normal throat flora and that might have been part of the problem. The only time I use antimicrobial soap is when I have no choice and have to use soap since rinsing would not be enough. That basically means when I am in lab since the lab I currently work in is a pathogens lab (only a week or so left there and and onto one that does not handle human pathogens), I do refuse to use the secondary antimicrobial hand sanitiser stuff though! Tell your mom (or whomever buys the soap) about the article in this thread and about the dangers that anti-bacterial soap can potentially cause. I got my mom to switch (for the most part) over, she slips sometimes since I don't live there anymore but when I go home to visit I do an inspection and let her know when she buys something that is not on the Your-The-Mother-Of-A-Microbiologist-For-Goodness-Sake approval list (yes I have uttered that phrase on several occasions, there is also a father, sister, and grandparent version of it). Being 10 years older and having a 4-year degree and working on a grad degree in micro gives me a little more persuasive power than you Giardia, but if you explain your postition in a respectfull and informed way you might be surprised. Good luck!
Old 07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
Giardia

i would have to tell my brother...he has microbe-phobia, and insists on the antibacterial...maybe i should get my own little dispenser of non-antimicrobial soap!
Old 08-07-2006, 02:21 AM

I would totally have my own stash of soap if I were in your place! My mommy is breaking my rule, her favorite smelling soap only comes in antimicrobial and she brought it into my apartment, at least it is in a box so I don't have to look at it or have it touching my stuff!