Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > General Discussion > The Microbes

Old 09-22-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollock II
I found out recently that she got fired because of my class. She was a terrible teacher anyways. On our first test, over half of the class failed (30 kids in the class I think about 18 or 20 received Fs), and she said it was because we didn't study hard enough. Not to mention my book for that class cost $135, and then at the end of the semester, she decided not to use it again, so I was out $135 which I had really been counting on.
I lucked out as an undergrad, had great profs for the most part. Small schools tend to hire good ones I think because they tend to be more focused on education since they do not have a huge research program that eats up time and resources, of course the huge research programs benefit the big schools, and society and people like me who work in that area...

I never sold back my books, never plan to on the science texts as they are all reference texts, many I use now while I did not when I was in the class.

If more than half the class failed it is almost always a reflection on the professor or test, not the students, while there is likely always some lazy people who do not try or study hard enough they are generally not 50% or more of the class (unless it is a tiny class of lazys but usually tiny classes are advanced ones and have people who are into the subject). Perhaps this woman never heard of statistics and probabilities and such... I think it is likely almost statistically impossible for 50% of a class of 30 to be that crappy of students. Glad they got rid of her so she can't mess up any more students!
Old 09-22-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I found out recently that she got fired because of my class. She was a terrible teacher anyways. On our first test, over half of the class failed (30 kids in the class I think about 18 or 20 received Fs), and she said it was because we didn't study hard enough. Not to mention my book for that class cost $135, and then at the end of the semester, she decided not to use it again, so I was out $135 which I had really been counting on.
You could try selling it online, I buy most of mine online for cheaper than the bookstore, plus it often is helping out fellow students or at least not giving even more money to the school (like my schools but do not like how many fees they nail me with).
Old 09-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Pollock II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kskerr
I lucked out as an undergrad, had great profs for the most part. Small schools tend to hire good ones I think because they tend to be more focused on education since they do not have a huge research program that eats up time and resources, of course the huge research programs benefit the big schools, and society and people like me who work in that area...

I never sold back my books, never plan to on the science texts as they are all reference texts, many I use now while I did not when I was in the class.

If more than half the class failed it is almost always a reflection on the professor or test, not the students, while there is likely always some lazy people who do not try or study hard enough they are generally not 50% or more of the class (unless it is a tiny class of lazys but usually tiny classes are advanced ones and have people who are into the subject). Perhaps this woman never heard of statistics and probabilities and such... I think it is likely almost statistically impossible for 50% of a class of 30 to be that crappy of students. Glad they got rid of her so she can't mess up any more students!

The one girl who sat next to me said it was her third time to take the class with that woman (since she was the only one who offered it) and she had failed all 3 times!

Part of me wanted to keep it, but I needed the money more. Of course, it didn't end up like that. I try to keep most of my English books, but some of them are just terrible mish mashes of certain authors' works. I'm glad I have it now. I haven't yet made reference to it, but I know that when I become a teacher, it'll be on my desk at all times.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The one girl who sat next to me said it was her third time to take the class with that woman (since she was the only one who offered it) and she had failed all 3 times!

Part of me wanted to keep it, but I needed the money more. Of course, it didn't end up like that. I try to keep most of my English books, but some of them are just terrible mish mashes of certain authors' works. I'm glad I have it now. I haven't yet made reference to it, but I know that when I become a teacher, it'll be on my desk at all times.
Now did she finally pass, quit, or is she taking it with the replacement? Yeah sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to put my micro texts in the bookcase in my room, they always migrate back to the home office! Often they are on the floor around my chair or on a foot stool and I twirl around and grab the one I need and return to facing the computer... I am strongly considering reorganising the office and moving the case into the office, it matches the office furniture anyway, and making room for something to put the books on so they are not on the floor (not that they are where I walk usually, often under the other desk). Perhaps I should have made the bigger room the office (I have a two bedroom aparment, only bugs, plants, and fish as roommates)! Funny thing was when I was figuring out if I wanted one or two bedrooms my Dad told me to go for one since when he had two he never used it so it was a waste, I spend way more time in the office than my room! Plus the closet is invaluable for storing more of my junk (I am a total packrat). Not sure but I am pretty sure I brought my english reference here (if I didn't I plan to), believe mine is the New St. Martin's, but I would have to look for sure. Most of the books I left in Chicago since they are not in my field or even close, brought all the math and science.
Old 09-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Pollock II

She was canned.

I have so many text books and reference books, that I brought only the necessities to school, and the rest are either in my room at home ir in storage at home.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:12 PM

Quote:
She was canned.

I have so many text books and reference books, that I brought only the necessities to school, and the rest are either in my room at home ir in storage at home.
I told my mom she could sell the nonscience ones if she wanted to, not sure if she will get around to it.