Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > Announcements > New GIANTmicrobes!

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 PM

I say nay. Would you spend $50 on a Plush Mitochondrion, Nucleus, Ribosome, Chromosome (Extra $8 for X and Y variations), Golgi, and Endoplasmic Reticulum? I prefer one Microbe to split apart, and on the inside it has the anatomy. Put it together, microbe for toy. Un-Velcro it, and you can see its anatomy! It would be only $20 or so, much less then $50-$60.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes888 View Post
I say nay. Would you spend $50 on a Plush Mitochondrion, Nucleus, Ribosome, Chromosome (Extra $8 for X and Y variations), Golgi, and Endoplasmic Reticulum? I prefer one Microbe to split apart, and on the inside it has the anatomy. Put it together, microbe for toy. Un-Velcro it, and you can see its anatomy! It would be only $20 or so, much less then $50-$60.
for those designs. for the price.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:31 PM

I've spent $64 on GIANTmicrobes already. I think it was worth every penny!
Old 04-28-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
I've spent $64 on GIANTmicrobes already. I think it was worth every penny!
Oh wait is this for just one or lots of them? If lots then thats OK I have done the same.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Cool costume! This year I want to go as 2010's big scare (Like Swine Flu, Anthrax, MRSA, etc.) But Mitochondria is a body part, not an eaten organism. Mitochondria shouldn't be a GIANTmicrobe, it should be part of one.
Originally, the modern-day mitochondrian ("mitochondria" is plural) was an induvidual organism, that had perfected methods of extracting energy from glucose. Some other bacterium nearby "saw" the mitochondrian and thought it might make a good lunch. So the bacterium ate the mitochondrian.

However, the mitochondrian had an indigestible membrane. The bacterium realized he didn't need to digest the mitochondrian, but instead form a partnership between the two: the bacterium provides shelter, the mitochondrian provides energy. This became the first complex cell, which divided over time to form all the cells of plants and animals.

Make sense now?