Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > Announcements > New GIANTmicrobes!

Old 01-02-2008, 05:05 PM
NPK

Default Clostridium bolutinum Giant Microbe

I have an idea for a new Giant microbe - Clostridium botulinum, the bacterium that causes botulism. It is a well known (at least well heard of) infection and the cells can have an interesting shape when forming endospores, a shape that I don't think has been used yet in the Giant Microbes range.
An example false-coloured scanning electron micrograph:

Old 01-03-2008, 07:05 AM
RED TIDE

Smile Awsome

That looks awsome!! I love that idea, it is a very unique shape I think!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:49 PM

Thumbs up

Except for infants and wounds C. botulinum usually does not cause infections. Infections are when the organism grows in the host and causes illness. C. botulinum makes a toxin, which causes an intoxication, a really really nasty one that is thankfully heat labile (aka it is destroyed by heat) so proper cooking of at risk foods renders such foods safe. They do make endospores which are heat tolerant so proper canning is very important for at risk foods (low acid foods mainly) and the canning standards of today are designed specifically to prevent C. botulinum spores from surviving. If there are surviving spores in an at risk food they are in the perfect environment since C. botulinum is an anaerobe (which means it grows without oxygen).

Very cool (but deadly) organism and I would love for them to make a giantmicrobe of it, awesome suggestion and pic of it NPK !