Giantmicrobes Forum  

Go Back   Giantmicrobes Forum > Health & Education > All about the Science

Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Louse

Default Polio is back!

LONG PRAIRIE, Minn. - Polio was pronounced dead in the Western Hemisphere years ago, after one of the most successful public health campaigns in history. But now it is stealing through a tiny Amish community here in central Minnesota, spreading from an 8-month-old girl to four children on two neighboring farms.

So far, no one has been crippled by the disease; only 1 in 200 cases of polio results in paralysis. But worried public health officials say it may be only a matter of time.

Dr. Susan Rutten, a physician, makes house calls in four Amish communities in Central Minnesota.
The story of how polio came to this dairy farming community of 24 families, with 19th-century ways that include a deep-rooted suspicion of vaccination, is both a medical whodunit and a cautionary tale, suggesting that eradicating polio may prove far harder than anyone thought, even in the developed world.

No one expects that the United States will be visited by the kind of outbreaks that recently flared up in Africa and Asia, frustrating the longstanding goal of eliminating polio for good by the end of this year. But the Long Prairie cases highlight a weakness in the worldwide campaign.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/11/08/national/08polio.html
Old 11-13-2005, 05:24 PM

I read about that case. I think that they determined it was a mutated form of the vaccine but I am not sure. I generally prefer the live vaccine to the dead since it has the benefit of potentially exposing an immunised child's adult caregivers again and renewing their immunity, the dead vaccine does not. There are very very few cases of the live vaccine causing problems, when it does happen there is so much publicity it gets blown out of proportion like so many things.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:19 PM
puffazoid

well, let's hope that we can still buy the plushie, even if it IS dead!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:20 PM

Yes, must have polio plush, it is one of the three I currently don't have. Hope the rumored new ones are out by next Christmas (come on it is like 300 or so days away) so I'll know what to ask for...
Old 03-29-2006, 05:18 AM
GERMan

Awww, they don't sell Polio as yet in GERMany! Neither can I get E.coli or Salmonella...

BTW, did you notice that the Professional line got moved so it isn't ever-prominent? And got a special comment?
I suppose somebody without any sense of humour/instructiveness might have complained...
Old 03-30-2006, 02:09 AM

Can't you get them online? Seems odd that you couldn't... I don't notice a change, maybe you see a different page than I do or something living on the other side of the pond...