View Single Post
Old 11-12-2005, 08:31 PM
csm_joker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norby
I use antibacterial and regular soap (and rubbing alcohol when soap is not available.) The way I look at things (being raised/indoctrinated by two doctors), if antibacterial soap is creating superbugs, science will come up with a new antibacterial agent. That works until the germs develop an immunity and then a new antibacterial agent... etc. ad naseum.
However, I still prefer regular soap to antibacterial any day.
The fun problem there for us, is to find something that will easily kill even the resistant bacteria without irreparably damaging us in some way.
Even the most mild of the older antibiotics can have some pretty intense side effects.
There is a great idea being discussed at the moment, which is to coat the walls of a hospital in non-pathogenic bacteria. This should limit the possible living space for any dangerous ones (often usually resistant bacteria are less capable of colonising over present bacteria and few bacteria are able to coexist in the same film). Only downside is that in this environment, if a resistance gene was introduced, it is likely that it would spread to all of the bacteria and if the non-pathogenic ones somehow are displaced or mutate into pathogenicity, the entire hospital would be a danger.