Giantmicrobes Forum

Giantmicrobes Forum (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/forum/index.php)
-   In the Classroom (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   If I brought GIANTmicrobes to school... (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5)

Emily 10-30-2005 06:11 PM

If I brought GIANTmicrobes to school...

If I brought my GIANTmicrobes to school, they'd probably tell me to not take them anymore. We are not allowed to have stuffed animals at school, no matter how educational or awesome they are.

I think this is uncool. Don't you guys think they should let me bring 'em?

Nichol 11-03-2005 02:11 PM

Microbes in school

I DO bring my GIANTmicrobes to school. But since I am the teacher, I do not get in trouble for it. I show them to my students and let them pass them around while I talk about microbiology.

Try talking to your teacher about sharing your GIANTmicrobes with your classmates. Show him/her the website for the "toys" so they know GIANTmicrobes are not just toys. If he/she gives you permission, then it should be OK.

kskerr 11-13-2005 05:30 PM

I brought one of mine in to class with not problem, but then I was and am a college student... I brought strep throat into lab after we isolated strep from our own throats, no one had pathogenic strep in my class. The year before someone found out that she had it that way, the teacher told her to show the plate to her doctor. It was so cool, educational show and tell!

superbugeyes 11-15-2005 05:19 PM

I'm doing a presentation on bioweapons and wanted to know if there are any pathogenic microbes I can get. I think they would be great visuals.

kskerr 11-16-2005 01:10 PM

I'd go with the plague, that one is cool and I think there is a fear that it will be used as a bioweapon. Many of the stuffed microbes are pathogens but not used (that I know of) as bioweapons. Oh wait I think there was a case of salmonella being used by some religious cult on the west coast. Then you could always see if one is the same shape as a bioweapon and use it instead.

superbugeyes 11-16-2005 04:55 PM

Thanks. I will probably do that. :)

kskerr 11-18-2005 12:18 AM

I used one (strep throat) as a visual aide in my speech class as an undergrad, it was an autobiographical speech and I used it to represent my future career as a microbiologist. I managed to incorporate microbiology into all but one speech, the last (a group debate speech) was only because I did not pick the topic and my group did not see the light. We would so have been better off if we had chosen my topic about controling antimicrobials and not the stupid political science major's topic, the patriot act, how boring can you get! It was the dumbest topic and pretty much everyone was against the bill and so there was a huge debate/fight on who would argue for it, the two that did spent the whole time prefacing their postition with "I'm argueing pro but I am really con", I was about to strangle them. My topic would have been perfect since I was able to make an outline for both sides and none of them knew enough to have an opinion and so could be assigned a side and a particular aspect to argue (the pro control side of course would be right:) ). Oh well, I was able to get all the other speeches on topic and had an option for the last one so technically I met my geeky goal :D .

Ebola Cactus 12-28-2005 01:01 AM

I think if you knew they weren't going to take them, then taking them once wouldn't hurt. Being told not to bring them anymore isn't that bad ^_^ Compared to having them impounded.. poor microbes! aww.. :( I'd bring mine to school with me for health class presentations.

Vireyda 01-08-2006 01:53 PM

I don't take mine to school they aren't really relevant to my majors of Geography and Anthropology, but if I ever had the chance to take them to class, I would.

kskerr 01-11-2006 10:49 PM

Microbes are very relevant to geography and anthropology! Certain diseases are endemic to certain regions (lyme disease, rocky mountain spotted fever, African sleeping sickness, ect), and diseases are important in every culture :D. Perhaps if you talk to your teacher and explain how educational they are she might work them into a lecture (if she teaches any form of science or health) and then you could bring them legit and not have to worry about any trouble :).