PDA

View Full Version : Microbes I'd like to see

Louse
11-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Bill Maher just had a show on Real Time with Bill Maher where he talked about how every year there seems to be a new microbial threat...Avian Bird Flu, SARS, Monkey Pox etc. Maybe GiantMicrobes should have a One Hit Wonders series....

Efogoto
11-10-2005, 06:14 PM
I still prefer the big-time heavy hitters. Small Pox is the particular fiend I await.

Norby
11-11-2005, 05:08 PM
I'd like to see a Bacteriophage just because it looks cool. I wouldn't mind seeing a giant Staphylococcus (staph)

kskerr
11-13-2005, 04:19 PM
I would love to see some probiotics, that would be so cool! A phage series would be cool too. Some pathogens would be Bacillus anthracis, Clostridium tetani, C. botulinum, Vibrio cholerae, Listeria monocytogenes, and Borrelia burgdorferi. I better stop, the more that are made the broker I will be!

Louse
11-14-2005, 01:56 PM
And Cryptospiridium...Maybe make it waterproof as a pool toy :)

Abby
11-14-2005, 03:43 PM
I agree Norby!
Can't wait for T4 bacteriophage to come out!
I emailed it as a suggestion and got told its under development and due to come out mid-2006!

:p

Evan
11-14-2005, 11:57 PM
I always thought that Borrelia burgdorferi would be a good one - I noticed a lack of spirochetes until syphillis. I think that Plasmodium is a classic pathogen that shouldn't be overlooked

Cheers !

Evan

Louse
11-15-2005, 02:27 PM
A friend of mine suggested Streptococcus sanguis as a great microbes for Plaque for his dentist friends, but apparently Plaque is actually a lot of different microbes...

Of course, I always thought Plaque microbes looked like this....

http://world.std.com/~mikecap/toothopolis.jpg

"WE MAKE HOLES IN TEETH"

kskerr
11-16-2005, 12:59 PM
That is so cool that they are making T4, it is so cool looking. My prof said they are fragile, if you shake the tube they are in their little legs fall off. Think I might buy one for myself and one for my sister, she loves that phage.

Karen

CorGlacier7
11-16-2005, 05:52 PM
First off, *thank you* to GiantMicrobes for making Mad Cow. I was really hoping for that one--my sister works in Agricultural Econ, so now she can have Mad Cow for Christmas so it can sit on her computer staring menacingly.

Sounds like a lot of the ones I'd like to see have already been mentioned. The T4 should be neat!

* Plasmodium (Malaria) A classic Calamity.
* Vibrio (Cholera)
* Varicella (Chicken Pox) Come on, every kid should have one! :D
* Rubella (German Measles)
* Variola (Smallpox)

I think they've already got a lot of great ones, though.

Aenir
11-17-2005, 07:13 PM
I would like to see (sorry for the lack of scientific names)

the one that causes elephantitis
Malaria would be a good one
Chicken pox

those are the ones i would like to personally see.

kskerr
11-17-2005, 11:34 PM
Mad cow is cool but not really a microbe, it is just a protein and all.... Still it must be added to my collection.

Norby
11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
How about an organelle series fitting in with the endosymbiotic theory? Giant mitochondria, chloroplasts, etc.
Also...
A Giant Microbe DNA Double Helix. (So what if it's not a microbe? Neither are bookworms)

kskerr
11-18-2005, 07:39 PM
The organelles would be cool, as would the helix, perhaps not a linear one like most that are on the market but a loop of DNA. It could be a bacterial chromosome or plasmid and therefore fit into the series/theme quite nicely :).

kskerr
11-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Thought of another one, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, it is found everywhere! It is becoming a more important pathogen being an opportunistic and all. And perhaps one of its siblings that is not a pathogen but a beneficial. According to my pathognesis text P. aeruginosa can be a beneficial bacterium too. Oh P. fluorescens would be cool since it is fluorescent :D.

kskerr
11-27-2005, 02:15 AM
My favorite sibling would like to see the tapeworm and flea, rabies, distemper. I think Histoplasmosis and Legionnaire's would be cool. Perhaps a strep that is longer than two cells, possibly connected individually with velcro and eyes on each coccus :):):):).

Karen

Fotognome
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM
I'd really like to see varicella.. good old chicken pox. A friend of mine has been having problems with shingles the last few months, and i think he'd get a kick out of this (possibly quite literally).

paperboat917
12-02-2005, 06:03 PM
I was thinking it would be kind of fun to have a large plush cell, with all the organelles inside. They could velcro in and out so people could learn about the functions of a eukaryotic cell. The ribosomes might be particularly cute. They would look like peas.

Sanbika
12-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Norby, I totally agree about the double helix! I have always wanted a plush one of those. I also would love to see SARS.

kskerr
12-02-2005, 09:12 PM
The large plush cell with removable organelles would not only be cool but it would be great for a classroom. I am a fan of the mitochondria myself given its origin and how it is the powerhouse of the cell and all. Also cool could be some protists, like a paramecium and or amoeba, and euglena would be cool since it has an eyespot and flagella. So many cool microbes so little time!!!:)

Arch0wl
12-03-2005, 06:55 AM
I am a high school student; the ones high school students get a kick out of by far is the STDs. Chlamydia trachomatis, Herpes simplex virus, and Phthirius pubis would definitely be top-sellers. SARS would be great too - even though it's not an STD, most kids are familiar with it.

kskerr
12-03-2005, 09:24 PM
I would not be at all surprised if more STDs join syphilis and gonorrhea, herpes would be a great addition, wonderfully educational :). Hmm, probably should not let the nongeeky students know that :p, lol.

aerofine
12-07-2005, 07:56 AM
Id like to see Malaria, Chicken Pox, Mumps and Whooping Cough! I had mumps and whooping cough as a kid so Id love to see them and then buy them!

Efogoto
12-07-2005, 10:12 PM
Typhoid and Yellow Fever are another couple I haven't seen suggested yet. Unless they were suggested in Latin form, in which case I will sit corrected.

kskerr
12-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Listed as cough, Bordetella pertussis, the causative agent of whooping cough came out in 2004: (http://www.giantmicrobes.com/health/cough.html).
Must have heard you coming aerofine :).

Diphtheria along with my earlier suggestion for Tetanus could join pertussis and make a good trio, being that they are all part of the DPT shot.

aerofine
12-08-2005, 07:44 AM
OK Id also like to see Meningitis, Bird Flu, Rabies, Anthrax (not sure - is it a microbe?) and Shingles!

:) :p

kskerr
12-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Anthrax is caused by a micrbobe :), by a bacterium called Bacillus anthracis. I heard that there was an anthrax bomb tested on an english island and they had to fire bomb the whole place to get rid of it, sturdy spore former. Meningitis can be caused by several things, might be cool to have one of each, viral and bacterial, made. Gangrene (Clostridium perfringens) could make a nice addition to the family, eww I just read that maggots are used to treat it sometimes :eek:!

TexAg
12-11-2005, 10:32 PM
All I can say is...Ask and ye shall receive! On the survey at the end of every order I have placed since I found this company, I asked for Polio, and they made Polio! =)

I would love to see a bacteriophage!!! Lambda rocks! I agree with you all on the rabies idea. An organelle line would be awesome. They would have to be a bit larger than 1,000,000 X actual size though...

kskerr
12-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Not to be a total nerd or diss one of my favorite products but the 1,000,000X thing is not all that accurate, think it is more for dramatic effect than anything, though some of them might be about that in case of the viruses. Just think about it, viruses are way tiny, you need an electron microscope to see them, way smaller than bacteria and the stuffed microbes are about the same size for each and both are listed as 1,000,000X. Also if you calc it out, using my research organism as an example, it is about 1um long (small for a bacterium but I love it just the way it is :)), that is a millionth of a meter. Multiply that by a million and you get 1 meter, and that is using a small example, other bacteria can be more than twice as big. While a meter tall stuffed microbe would be cool, real cool actually :D, none of them currently are. Based on measuring one (it was about 12cm tall) and using 2um as an guestimate size for the actual organism and dividing I estimate the bacteria to be about 60,000X, or 120,000X if you use 1um. Of course my calcs are based on estimates and I don't know the size of each microbe (real or stuffed) without looking it up so these numbers are just ballparks. OK geekfest over, who cares about a stupid number Giantmicrobes are the best :D!

Also, lambda rocks but T4 is so much cooler looking :cool:. Polio is a great addition to the line, very important organism. Last time I ordered (few years ago, my family got me the last round) there was not a survey, when did that start?

SilverTwilight05
12-15-2005, 11:20 PM
I'd like to see some microbes from the immune system, like RBC and WBC.
I'd also like to see an icosahedral virus, a water bear, and pollen.

kskerr
12-19-2005, 07:07 PM
I saw the water bear on Animal Planet, it is real cute :), I'd like to try and find one. It sounds like they are very common on moss, think in the spring or summer I'll collect some and throw it under the scope in my lab, it would be so cool if I actually saw one :D!

Motogrl
12-20-2005, 10:36 AM
One of my coworkers got one of these for our secret santa gift exchange- that is how I found this site and I LOVE them! I ordered a bunch for Christmas presents, hopefully they'll come in time!

My wish list for Giant Microbes:

Anthrax
Chlamydia
Human Papilloma Virus

SarMarti
12-23-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm looking forward to C. dif

GERMan
01-10-2006, 05:57 PM
Paramecium, definitely. Could have one cute kissing mouth and lots of cilia.

T4 would be kewl. You could actually let them sit on your E.coli and attack it. That is if you live in the US: Coli's not yet out in Germany *sigh*

kskerr
01-11-2006, 09:59 PM
Tobacco mosaic virus might be nifty considering how much it has been studied. T4 would totally compliment E. coli :).

Shark's Protein
01-27-2006, 05:00 PM
And Cryptospiridium...Maybe make it waterproof as a pool toy :)
Giardia should have been too, also being waterborne.
------------------------------------------------
Here's an MS Paint I made of my ideas:

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/8517/newmicrobeideas4it.png

The ameoba's eyes are deliberatley nonsymetrical, being an amorphous figure.

297hakr
01-29-2006, 06:49 PM
I would love to see Borrelia burgdorferi (Lyme disease), an ixodes scapularis tick or Smallpox, Variola Major.

Although, with all the news, the Bird Flu virus would be a nice addition.

kskerr
02-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Great pic Shark, love your ideas :D! Also love the idea of a tick and B. burgdorferi combo, could be used as an educational tool for teaching kids about the dangers of lyme disease and what the tick looks like (well if it were a large stuffed animal ;) ).

kskerr
02-07-2006, 10:01 PM
Just thought of more vector/pathogen combos to go along with the tick/B. burgdorferi combo, a mosquito and west nile virus, an anopheles <sp> mosquito and malaria, a tsetse fly to go along with sleeping sickness, a sand flea and leishmaniesis, and a flea to go along with the plague. :)

297hakr
02-09-2006, 08:30 PM
Just thought of more vector/pathogen combos to go along with the tick/B. burgdorferi combo, a mosquito and west nile virus, an anopheles <sp> mosquito and malaria, a tsetse fly to go along with sleeping sickness, a sand flea and leishmaniesis, and a flea to go along with the plague. :)

:D So many possibilities.. yellow fever, tularemia, Rickettsia

There could also be a weapons grade section with tularemia, anthrax, smallpox virus, machupo virus, etc...

Shark's Protein
02-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Perhaps a termite? It could fit in with the critters (The louse, bed bug, dust mite, and bookworm)

Vireyda
02-11-2006, 02:08 PM
After having pinkeye this week, I'd love to see whatever caused it....

Shark's Protein
02-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Mad cow is cool but not really a microbe, it is just a protein and all.... Still it must be added to my collection.
It was stated as a prion on Wikipedia.

297hakr
02-18-2006, 01:03 PM
It was stated as a prion on Wikipedia.

Yeah, a prion is just a protein that is folded differently than would normally be found in the body. When it gets around correctly folded proteins, it causes them to change into the incorrectly folded version.

Doctor Johnny Fever
02-18-2006, 01:56 PM
Not only have you got to release smallpox soon, but in major and minor variations. That would be righteous.

Also: unlikely, but I would like to have the nucleopolyhedrosis virus (NPV) as well. It's something to do with The Cobra Event, so I won't spoil anything for people who haven't read it.

If you haven't, you got to. It's an awesome read.

Doctor Johnny Fever
02-19-2006, 09:13 PM
No! Forget that! Leprosy, malaria, and smallpox. *nod* I'd totally buy those.

I only bought Ebola so far. Picked it up in Toronto at the Ontario Sceience Centre. It's pretty cute. Thumbs up.

kskerr
02-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Pink eye can be viral, bacterial, or the result of an allergen, it is like a couch in that it is a symptom that can be caused by many things. Thanks for the laugh Shark, and the assist 297hakr, and yes a prion is a infectious protein that screws up a normal protein to put it not so elegantly. It can be either inheritated or contracted from eating contaminated food (usually brain or spinal tissue, yum yum), if you don't have the corresponding normal protein(either you are a mutant or the wrong species) then it will not infect you. Since they are infectious they get lumped into microbiology and people think they are microbes, I kinda think that that is stretching it a bit but thats just me. Ah a bioweapons section, that would be fun, good idea.

Giardia
02-25-2006, 09:19 PM
I was thinking maybe bacterial menengitis (Meningococcal) or some different cells! I've already e-mailed the company about meningitis. Waiting for a reply! Way to go Abby on getting them to make a new microbe! I will definately be buying it!:D

Askor
02-26-2006, 09:43 AM
I would like to see the H Pilorities (I think that is how it is spelled) bacteria.

Only because I got it and couldn't go to school for 2 months! :D :)

Giardia
02-26-2006, 11:06 AM
I think I'd still like to see some cells. Red blood cells, white blood cells, and brain cells would be super cool!:D

Askor
02-26-2006, 11:29 AM
I just found out that the bacteria that kept me home for 2 months was not H pilorities, but H pilori. :D

Askor
02-26-2006, 03:49 PM
I think that they should put in leperesy :eek:

297hakr
02-27-2006, 10:04 AM
I just found out that the bacteria that kept me home for 2 months was not H pilorities, but H pilori. :D

ouch... I've never had an ulcer, but they don't sound like any fun.
http://www.giantmicrobes.com/maladies/ulcer.html

Askor
02-27-2006, 02:29 PM
Well actually, i didn't get an ulcer but I had the bacteria. 20% of all people have the bacteria, but it rarely causes ulcers.:D

Askor
02-28-2006, 04:25 PM
my little sister thought that they should make a yellow fever microbe.:rolleyes:

sowalsky
03-01-2006, 09:23 PM
All the bugs (viruses too) that have the potential to empty the US Capitol?
-B. anthracis
-Smallpox
-Chicken flu

As a scientist who works with tissue culture, the most common ones for me are E.coli (that's finally out, hurray!), Yeast (also out), and Mycoplasma (they infect everything...). I could envision a sterile mycoplasma doll sitting near the BL-2 culture hoods.

How about some generic RNA viruses. There already is HIV, but what about for all of us who engineer retroviruses and lentiviruses for lab use? We need mascots to make sure our experiments work!

kskerr
03-04-2006, 03:47 PM
You are in luck ASKor, H. pylori is already out :), as I recall it is one of the originals, http://www.giantmicrobes.com/maladies/ulcer.html.

Fotognome
05-22-2006, 02:12 AM
I'd really like to see Mimivirus as a giantmicrobe plushy.
This is a virus that is not only the largest of all viruses, and larger than some bacteria, but it contains some of its own functioning protein translation factors, including chaperonins!
It's also sort of the "where's waldo" or, if you will, the "infamous postcard gnome" of microbiology -- there is now evidence suggesting that mimivirus, or other NCLDV's (nucleocytoplasmic large DNA virus), had been imaged in electron microscopy, and even light microscopy, as far back as 1976, but were thought to be bacteria. Countless images are now being analyzed for mimi's signature huge (6700 angstrom diameter) spiky icosahedron, in molecular biology's version of "where's waldo."

Truly this is a bug worthy of its own plushy ;)
The bigger the better!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/15/nbug15.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/15/ixhome.html

viva la mimi! ;)

--- oh, and I would like to mention something regarding the appearance of mimi: that electron micrograph's surface details are mostly artifacts, as the virus' shape is too fragile to accurately image by standard techniques. I'd post the newer, more accurate images, but they're copyrighted to the journal of molecular biology, and they might get sort of cranky. See the article "cryo-electron microscopy of giant mimivirus." Suffice it to say, it took over a year and over 800 total micrographs, to spit out a good image! Mimi is many things, photogenic is not one of them ;)

kskerr
05-22-2006, 09:32 AM
I read about the mimivirus, very interesting, the article and pic are great. I think it would make a great plush!

GERMan
05-26-2006, 04:46 AM
Really dig this "little" big fellow! Such a magnificent find. What a shame they knocked down that cooling tower in question.

Also check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimivirus (Wikipedia) and check out their link to Discovery journal for a fine article on this topic.

Giardia
05-28-2006, 02:13 PM
It does look like it would be a cool plushie!:D

kskerr
05-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Now I want Bifidobacteria, my new research organism, it is a probiotic :D :) :) :D

dee4077
06-01-2006, 08:51 AM
How about HPV - lots of talk in the news with the HPV-DNA test and the vaccine close to approval.

LOVE these little critters, BTW!!!! :) I have 4 and think I need to work on completing the set.

kskerr
06-01-2006, 10:58 AM
Having them all gives one a very satisfied feeling, it is wonderful ;)!

Pollock
06-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Hey, I just found out that Giant Microbes has a forum about 10 minutes ago. I'm so exicted!

I think a lot of the ones I would like to see have already been mentioned, but here's a list that my boyfriend and I came up with. Some are microbes, some are critters.

Small Pox
Avian flu
Sars
fleas
ticks
tapeworms
ringworms
herpes
chlamyida
pubic lice (crabs)

I also thought it would be cool to make a penicillin plush. If you're going to have all of these harmful micorbes, why not start a group for cures?

We also thought it would be interesting to do a sperm and an egg.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 12:46 AM
I think crabs and head lice are pretty much the same thing. The sperm and egg would be interesting, though not microbes... Penicillin as in the fungus that makes it or the molecule?

Pollock
06-03-2006, 12:49 AM
I think crabs and head lice are pretty much the same thing. The sperm and egg would be interesting, though not microbes... Penicillin as in the fungus that makes it or the molecule?

The sperm and the egg could be considered Critters, I guess. And as for the penicillin, I think either would be cool.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 12:51 AM
I'd go with the fungus since the molecule is kinda small I think plus is not a microbe...

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:26 AM
I just thought of a couple more for their Critter section. Gnats and maggots. Though maggots are kind of big on their own.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 01:40 AM
They should make a fruit fly, the geneticists would love it :D!!!

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:46 AM
I work at a nature camp, and we have this really cool fruit fly puppet that the kids absolutely love.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 11:00 AM
That sounds like fun :D! I just remember getting off work at like 10pm and rushing over to school to check my flies before the building got locked at 11pm, the guards trying to kick me out pretty much everytime. Catching myself discussing the flies and their mating cycle with fellow lab students (we had to collect unmated females for the project to work) and how I needed "wild virgins" and such in the hallways on campus. People give you the strangest looks when you are standing in the hall talking about virgins, especially when they have not taken genetics lab, pretty much everyone in that lab catches themselves doing it at least once. It is most shocking to the nonmajors that are in the science building for whatever and not immersed in our culture :p.

Pollock
06-03-2006, 12:10 PM
I'd probably raise my eyebrow a little too if I heard the phrase "wild virgin" the halls of the science building.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Former genetics students just shook their heads knowingly, I did quite a few times when I heard others doing it. The project does give one a pretty good feel for what research can be like, time consuming and all.

Giardia
06-03-2006, 05:51 PM
I like flies. They don't like me. That's cuz I just got a new venus flytrap. Gory, educational, fun, amusing, and green...all in one. The traps are small, so it pretty much can only eat fruit flies and ants. I bring this up because of the fruit fly subject.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 11:53 PM
My siblings and I have never had any luck with the venus fly traps, they are so cool though!

Pollock
06-04-2006, 01:28 AM
Try pitcher plants, instead of fly traps.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 09:17 AM
Is that the kind that has a bulby thing the insect falls into and drowns in? Not sure if they sell them in the midwest or not, I've never seen them in the store. If it would eat asian beetles it would be perfect!

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:52 AM
I used to have a pitcher plant. Venus Flytraps are very picky. You have to know your stuff when caring for one.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Would the pitcher plant eat asian beetles? They are the size of lady bugs if ya'll don't have them up north (Giardia, my favorite C-a-n-a-d-i-a-n) or down south (Pollock)? I would consider getting one then since I could feed it year round then, stupid asian beetles!

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:09 PM
Oh and are they as high maintenance as the venus fly trap?

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
no. mine lived for 3 years, and got to be .5 feet tall with no attention!

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:21 PM
Does it need to eat a lot?

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:23 PM
just three good flies a month

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Hmm I took a pic of a plant that has some sort of bug catching ability, not sure what it is though, it might be that kind though, think it was taller than 6 inches and the bug catching things were on stems that hung down...

Pollock
06-14-2006, 09:39 AM
I thought of some more, but I'm not sure if they're microbes or not...

Gout
excema
psoriasis

kskerr
06-16-2006, 02:55 AM
I beleive those are all autoimmune disorders...

Pollock
06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Aw dang. My dad has gout, and I thought it would be cool if they made a little gout microbe so I could give it to him.

Oh well.

Man, if/when they make the rabies one, I hope they made a slightly larger version as a dog toy.

kskerr
06-16-2006, 05:57 PM
That is a great idea, though if I had a dog I'd steel the microbe from it, hog all the microbes to myself, >=) tehehe!

My dad was convinced he had gout, even went to the doc, she took one look at his shoes and told him they were too small. He didn't believe her but when he went a size up it went away, that concinced him, ha ha! Supposedly cherries are great for gout sufferers, not sure if that is true or not...

Pollock
06-16-2006, 07:39 PM
My dad says he has to stay away from fish and green veggies. And you can always tell when it flares up because his foot just swells like someone stuck an air pump in it.

kskerr
06-16-2006, 08:32 PM
That stinks :(

Giardia
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
i like fish

Pollock
06-16-2006, 11:13 PM
I only like tuna, and some shellfish.

And I think his gout only really flares up, maybe, 2 or 3 times a year, and it lasts like 4 days at a time. and out of 365 days, that's not that bad.

kskerr
06-17-2006, 02:13 AM
I like fish too, tuna rocks. I also like my fish tank fishies, they are generally spoiled rottent though, recently I am all about gardening and the internet and less about playing with them so they are slightly less spoiled...

Pollock
06-17-2006, 09:14 AM
My boyfriend has a huge fish tank. He raises guppies, clown loche, and one really mean placo.

He used to have snails, but the clown loches ate 'em all.

kskerr
06-18-2006, 01:16 AM
My pleco is kinda mean too, though I only see him picking on my poor dojo (whom I named mojo dojo, my only named fish). I have only 4 tanks at the moment, most are inhabited by guppies, my big one only has 2 guppies and my angelfish, the pleco and dojo, and some tetras. Fish are cool!

Giardia
06-18-2006, 08:41 PM
my plecco's name is Scud! Well, that's his nickname. The plecco I had before him was named scud, too, so the new one's name is Scudagain (Pronounced "Scuddigin," looks like "Scud Again," get it?), but we thought the name Scud suited pleccos, so the new one has the same name. I also raise guppies, and in the past have kept white cloud mountain minnows. Did you know pleccos can grow to be a foot long if they live long enough? Mine's only two inches now, and I've had him for a year, so i suppose it depends on the kind of plecco. When I got him, he was one inch. I'd like to get a cat fish or maybe a snail. Snails eat anything, so they're very efficient. those little tank frogs are very cool, too! Wow, that was long...guess I got carried away.:p :p :D

Pollock
06-18-2006, 08:55 PM
You have to be careful though because if you have live plants, the snails will ruin them. And some fish eat snails.

My boyfriend's placo is about a foot long.

Giardia
06-18-2006, 09:45 PM
my fish are too small to eat a snail. Pleccos are vegetarian.

kskerr
06-19-2006, 03:29 AM
My snails don't bother my plants too much, they also don't seem to do much for the algae, but then neither does that brat pleco, it mostly eats flakes I think. My snails are the little kind, the kind pet stores give you for free and are always trying to get rid of. Are you talking about the algae eater or that cool fish that looks like a pirana Pollock? There are several kinds of pleco, bristle nose is the pleco of choice of angelfish breeders, they are ugly little monsters but supposed to be really good at their job, I might get some if I ever see them at the pet store.

Pollock
06-19-2006, 08:11 AM
Eli has one of these guys:

http://www.mikesfishing.com/pleco/images/picture_206.jpg

kskerr
06-20-2006, 02:09 AM
That pleco looks enormous! Is that a pic of his tank, it looks awesome, how many gallons?

Pollock
06-20-2006, 03:59 AM
No, that's not Eli's tank, though the pleco is a representative size for the one he has. He has a 38-40 gallon tank, so his fish have plenty of room to grow. The pleco is his largest, followed by 5 clown loches, and then about 20 or so guppies.

Giardia
06-20-2006, 10:56 PM
My plecco is two inches...a little guy. I only have one female guppy at the moment. my tank is just 5.5 gallons.

Pollock
06-20-2006, 10:59 PM
Back when I had fish I had a little pleco. About 2 inches as well. I kept him in a tank with 3 goldfish.

Giardia
06-20-2006, 11:02 PM
if mine gets too big, my mom wants to by a bigger tank...she really likes that fish...

kskerr
06-21-2006, 02:47 AM
Sounds like your mom has the fish bug too :). I have a 55, 2 10s and a 20 long here in Ioway, might bring some more over here after the 4th since my sister is getting sick of having so many (I left her some of my tanks when I moved, plus a couple were hers already), there are like 4 or so 5's, 2 10's and a 20 long there. I find the bigger tanks are easier to care for than the smaller ones, I started with a 1.6 gal and it was a pain, undergravel "filtration" is a joke as far as I am concerned, now it is power filters or nothing, I dismantled the tanks under 5 gallons since the 5s all have filters and the smaller ones do not. I adore my 55, it was my graduation/house warming present to myself when I moved to Ioway, my mommy would not let me get one when I still lived at home, she does not like my tanks.

Giardia
07-02-2006, 11:51 AM
lol, my brother used to call prawns "fish bugs"...shortly after he gave them that name, he refused to eat them anymore!

kskerr
07-05-2006, 02:53 AM
Goodness your brother has issues :rolleyes: ! Shrimp are very tasty, though I would not eat a ghost shrimp, too cute and tiny!

Giardia
07-05-2006, 06:03 PM
my brother does have his issues...i mean, how could he not like shrimp? Shrimp are delicious!

Shark's Protein
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
You know what microbe I'd like?

Thiomargarita namibiensis

It's the largest known bacterium known to man, visible to the naked eye!

kskerr
07-06-2006, 04:14 PM
Good one, they really need to make Bififdobacteria, my beloved research organism!

Giardia
07-18-2006, 09:07 PM
i didn't know bacteria got that big!

kskerr
07-19-2006, 02:37 AM
It usually does not, very rare oddballs....

Giardia
07-28-2006, 11:41 PM
such as this one...that would make a huge microbe!

kskerr
07-29-2006, 03:40 AM
Excellant <taping fingers together>.

Giardia
07-30-2006, 11:51 PM
aaaaaaagh, kskerr's turned into Mr. Burns! By the way, what he does is called "tenting" one's fingers. and you spelled "exellent wrong:) .

kskerr
08-04-2006, 12:52 AM
I am a microbiologist not an english major :p... I suppose tenting is a pretty good word to describe it...

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:34 PM
tenting? well, i dunno what that means...

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:35 PM
You know what microbe I'd like?

Thiomargarita namibiensis

It's the largest known bacterium known to man, visible to the naked eye!

really? where is it ;ocacted?

kskerr
09-17-2006, 05:31 PM
really? where is it ;ocacted?

Last I read about huge bacteria there were some found in fish guts in the ocean.

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 05:32 PM
wow.thats ccol,

mazuac
09-19-2006, 06:33 PM
weird... but cool, but weird

Tuburculosis
09-19-2006, 07:04 PM
huge big bactiria?the ones this big?

. size of bactiria.

mazuac
09-19-2006, 07:12 PM
maybe? maybe not... but still

kskerr
09-19-2006, 10:02 PM
Oh they exist, and yes I think they are about the size of a period, you can see them without a scope, though of course you would see them better with the scope. There is a pic of one in one of my micro texts, it is next to a fruit fly for size comparison...

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:18 AM
wooooooooooooooow!