PDA

View Full Version : petri dishes

Crazy4Microbes
02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
did u guys see the new giant microbe petri dishes? the mini microbes are adorable!:D

Tuburculosis
02-08-2008, 05:36 PM
I was about to make a thread about this in the New Microbes forum. They are so cute! I might buy a couple of baby colds. The Krill are cute too.:D

kskerr
02-09-2008, 12:23 AM
I just about passed out when I saw the newsletter, I adore them! I know what I'm asking for my birthday!

mazuac
02-09-2008, 10:20 AM
In all honesty, I think they are kind of... well, pointless. They are probably like, 1-3 inches long, which is VERY small~ Just my opinion though :D Sorry I havent been on in awhile!

Tuburculosis
02-09-2008, 11:41 AM
In all honesty, I think they are kind of... well, pointless. They are probably like, 1-3 inches long, which is VERY small~ Just my opinion though :D Sorry I haven't been on in awhile!

If you want to buy a microbe for you and a few for others, just buy a petri dish. and besides, they're cute! But now i have got to get every one of them, if not for the microbes for the dish itself. Giant microbes is taking my money:eek:!

Masque of the Red Death
02-09-2008, 02:41 PM
I received a dish of three rhinoviruses a couple days ago, and the general consensus is that they're even cuter than the regular-sized plush. They came a little squished inside the dish-- it's just slightly too small for them --but the filling and fabric are resilient enough that they puffed back into shape with a pinch in the right place.

The dish is made of a sturdy plastic, solid enough that I wouldn't ordinarily throw it away. Unfortunately, like I said, they don't sit all that well in the dish when the lid is on top, so the only way to use it as a display without looking goofy is to place the lid underneath the dish. This allows you to place the microbes in an adorably expectant position facing out of the dish; my friends and I can't agree whether they seem more like puppies at a pet store, or baby chicks about to start peeping :D

They're also just the right size that I can imagine loading them into a larger-barreled Nerf gun (one that shoots balls, not darts), and playing at "germ warfare" ;)

Adenine
02-10-2008, 05:31 PM
I ordered the Ebola petri dish on Friday--I'll post rough measurements when it comes. :)

Adenine
02-16-2008, 12:14 PM
Sorry to double post, but I got the petri dish today--it's a lot bigger than I thought it would be. The mini Ebolas measure roughly 4 inches long.

BlackDeathIsMyBestFriend
02-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow. That's actually pretty much. Aren't Ebola the biggest though? I might get a Black Death petri dish. See my name and you'll know why xD Mine's named Bobo.

Tuburculosis
02-18-2008, 09:50 AM
The common colds petri dishes sound cute. I might get one soon.

kskerr
02-24-2008, 12:03 AM
The smallness of them is what attracts me, what can I say I'm a microbiologist, I like little things :rolleyes:. The dishes themselves I'm sure are not proportional to a regular petri dish, though I could be wrong, I would probably store them in the dishes as previously described.

NPK
02-24-2008, 01:04 AM
I think they're great. However, I don't know any microbiologists who call them petri dishes...we all call them agar plates.

kskerr
02-27-2008, 04:09 PM
I think they're great. However, I don't know any microbiologists who call them petri dishes...we all call them agar plates.

I am a microbiologist and usually call them "petri dishes" or just "plates", perhaps it is a dialect thing among our kind :).

Crazy4Microbes
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
omg i looooooooooove the petri dishes they r so adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i dont kno which ones i want tho, maybe bedbugs. :D :D :D :D then i could have an "infestation"

p.s. yea i kno im nuts!!!!!!!!!!!!

mazuac
03-30-2008, 04:42 PM
If you want to buy a microbe for you and a few for others, just buy a petri dish. and besides, they're cute! But now i have got to get every one of them, if not for the microbes for the dish itself. Giant microbes is taking my money:eek:!
Nahh, your just letting it take your money :P And yeah, I guess you have a point there, but still XD

09-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Here are some more cute ones: MAD COW!

(although I think I am perfectly happy with the big one!)

http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/files/images/productdetails/mad-cow-petri.jpg

Stomach Ache*Special
10-01-2008, 05:50 PM
I'm gonna get some Mini Fats! They're gonna be sooo cute!!^-^ Just think about it, a little puffy fuzz ball in your hand, so small, you can cover the whole thing up with just your hand alone! *Squeal!*:D :D :D :D

10-01-2008, 06:07 PM
GREAT! I don't have any petri dishes, but sometime maybe Yeast (?)

Name them: Tukova Bunka, Kamorka Ttuszczowa, and Fettezelle JR.

Stomach Ache*Special
10-02-2008, 07:05 PM
lol! Tuková buňka is Czech and Fettzelle Jr. is German! Good One! :D
Great Names!:D :D

10-03-2008, 03:50 PM
.....and Komórka tłuszczowa is polish.:)

Stomach Ache*Special
10-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Yeah, I couldn't find that one! :D That's cool though!!:D :D

ultra T4
01-07-2009, 02:55 PM
i allready have 5!!!!!