PDA

View Full Version : Infected Fridge

kskerr
05-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Well I finally got creative, bored, and had free time all at once and went to work playing with pom things, glue, googly eyes, and magnet stip tape stuff. My fridge is now adorned with my creations, which as soon as I get pics of they will be posted. I altered Strep, made it more strepy, and made a new one that I hope there will be a plush made of some day, Lactobacillus, what I will be working with starting Monday and potentially/hopefully continue working with until I get my degree and perhaps beyond, it is a probiotic (healthy bacteria, they are soooooo cool!!!!), very excited about this! I need to get more pom things to get cold and HIV made. So far I have ulcer, hepatitis, pimple, strep, lactobacillus, TB, plague, cough, martian life, flu, yeast, ear ache, and salmonella. I do not plan to make them all, some would be too difficult and I am partial to the bacteria and viruses, mostly the bacteria. I want to make stomach ache but need different color poms (none of mine are the right shade) same with E. coli and perhaps the clap. I have giardia in progress, have the pom base glued but need something for the "face"... Perhaps ribbon would do, I'll have to look into it... I might make some more kinds of bacteria that do not have plushes (yet), we'll see. I look forward to people seeing my creations, not only the pics I will post but people coming over and seeing them on my fridge, it looks so nifty with them on it!!! I am bound to get some interesting looks from people, my friends should know I'm nuts but they will likely look at me extra strange for this one, te he! I also might makes some pins one of these days, would be quite appropriate on a lab coat, though I rarely wear one even though I technically should... Well I have to go to bed now, trying to convert to Iowan time, they seem to think that the day is half over at 12pm, which is when I consider it just starting, freak morning people!

Giardia
05-28-2006, 02:10 PM
Somebody has been working hard;)

kskerr
05-31-2006, 03:59 PM
Why yes, just finished cold and HIV today, now if I can only convince this thing to upload the pics...

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I want to see them as soon as the pic is posted.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:18 PM
I'll have to try again but last time I did it would not let me post. Perhaps I need to shrink the pic down...

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:19 PM
yeah, there are guidelines for that

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:28 PM
Perhaps I'll try tomorrow after work.

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:29 PM
i'm too lazy to post my pic now. i guess I'll do it anyway.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:45 PM
I need to take a new pic since I finished cold and HIV anyway and don't want to wake my sister who is staying with me right now and sleeping on the futon in the living room...

Giardia
06-07-2006, 04:47 PM
that would make her rather grumpy, I think

kskerr
06-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Yes, that and she would accuse me of being a dork or something...

Giardia
06-20-2006, 11:11 PM
People will probably say that if you are running aroung their sleeping quarters, snapping pictures of microbes!

kskerr
06-21-2006, 02:58 AM
They are in the kitchen which is attached to her temp sleeping quaters/my living room ;)

Giardia
06-21-2006, 08:29 PM
I don't know why this came into my head, but it is an interesting story, so here goes...

Ok, so one easter quite awhile ago, I woke up at 12 to find my stuff, as kids generally do. Anyways, I found my easter basket (right next to my bed, obviously hidden under a blanket). I was a bit upset, because there wasn't much in there. I crawled back into bed and fell asleep. Awhile later, I woke up. It was still dark. I realized there was something in my arms. I looked, and a big chocolate egg the size of and ostrich egg was next to me on the bed, my arms wrapped around it! I thought maybe the "Easter Bunny," who I knew by then was my parents, had forgotten something and had come back and given it to me. What I didn't get, though, was why my arms were around it. I fell asleep again. The next morning, I awoke and ran out to the living room to get a better look at my treaures. I showed the egg and told how it had appeared mysteriously next to me on my bed. My brother emerged from his room, complaining that someone had opened his door and ransacked his basket. He then saw that I had an egg identical to the one i found next to me in my bed, and said that it wasn't fair that he didn't have one. He accused me of stealing it, and we got into a big fight. My mom finally took the egg and said it was my brother's. Later, she told me that it had been given to my brother, and couldn't understand how I had gotten it. There was only one explanation: I had sleepwalked! In my saddened state that there was little in my basket, I must have walked, opened the door, grabbed the egg, tipping my brother's basket over in the process, walked back out the door without shutting it, gotten back into bed, and awoke with the egg in my arms! It was really quite spooky...

I guess the thing about siblings and sleeping quarters triggered that memory...it's and interesting story, no?

kskerr
06-23-2006, 01:22 AM
Very interesting story! Now my question is why your mother did not get you both one. My mom was a pretty big on being fair, if one of us got something generally the other two either got one too or they would get something else that was the equivalent. This was usually a good thing, prevented us from fighting as much as we would have. Main uncool thing was when I reached a milestone and they got it too at the same time without having to "earn" it, like being able to go outside in the backyard without an adult... Only ones that I got to have and they had to wait for was ones that the partents had no control over, like starting school, not like they can enroll a 3 year old in kindergarten...

kskerr
06-23-2006, 01:24 AM
OK I know I posted this in another thread too but since it is the subject of this thread I thought I'd put it here too: http://www.deviantart.com/view/34394182/

Giardia
06-24-2006, 11:13 PM
she did get us both one! I had an identical one to the one that was my brother's in my basket

kskerr
06-25-2006, 01:59 PM
Have you ever walked in your sleep before?

Giardia
06-25-2006, 05:34 PM
That's the only time I've ever walked in my sleep

kskerr
06-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Chocolate is a pretty powerful motivation...

Giardia
06-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Oh yes, I sure do love chocolate!:D :D :D :D

kskerr
07-05-2006, 12:12 AM
Chocolate is awesome, I like milk chocolate. I count it as a vegetable and dairy, doubly healthy!

Giardia
07-31-2006, 11:00 AM
I like white chocolate the best...even though it isn't really chocolate! However, it does contain cocoa butter, which is why it is reffered to as chocolate...dark chocolate lowers your blood pressure!

kskerr
08-04-2006, 01:14 AM
I like white chocolate too, hershey's hugs are awesome! I don't like dark chocolate, too bitter.

Giardia
08-04-2006, 10:48 PM
dark is all my parents eat! I can't stand the stuff myself!

kskerr
08-06-2006, 12:09 AM
It is just so bitter, I don't care if it is healthier it is just a waste of what could have been perfectly good chocolate!

Giardia
08-06-2006, 01:28 PM
exactly my thinking!

kskerr
08-07-2006, 02:48 AM
I've been on a total chocolate ice cream thing lately, had culver's today, it was great :) .

Giardia
08-07-2006, 10:28 PM
i'm addicted to thrifty food's chocolate chip cookies...

kskerr
08-08-2006, 02:45 AM
I like my chocolate chip cookies pretty much undercooked, also love uncooked version :D!

Giardia
09-10-2006, 11:07 AM
breyers classic heavenly hash ice cream is my new obsession

kskerr
09-10-2006, 02:58 PM
What flavor is that? Generally I think potatoes when I see hash....

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:00 PM
;) pototos,yum

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
giardia, what do you mean when you say...

"when Bovine ... bend the wrong way?" i don't get that

kskerr
09-17-2006, 05:18 PM
giardia, what do you mean when you say...

"when Bovine ... bend the wrong way?" i don't get that

Mad cow disease is caused by a protein that is not in the right shape, (i.e. is not folded right) and when they come into contact with properly shaped/folded proteins they cause them to change to the wrong shape/folding, this is an infectious form of protein called a prion. Mad cow disease is a bovine (cow) brain prion/protein. It can potentially infect humans as well since we have a very similar brain protein that can be effected by it. There are human prions too and ones in other animals. They tend to not transmitt between humans too much because we do not normally eat the infected tissue, which is generally brain or spinal tissue, though some cultures consider this a treat and then there was that cannible tribe one went through...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 05:57 PM
mad cow prion.it was in the news last year.i forget why.

kskerr
09-17-2006, 06:20 PM
mad cow prion.it was in the news last year.i forget why.

There have been several scares of it since it can potentially infect people, whenever they find an infected cow here it goes all over the news and there is a big fuss to trace where it came from.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 06:21 PM
lol, you talking about MAD COW? WELL, what does it evern do to you???

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
i dont know.......

mazuac
09-17-2006, 06:37 PM
lol... i am to lazy to look it up... actually, i wuold but it's b/c i have a project for school i am doing wright now...

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:33 PM
As I said it causes a certain kind of brain protein to get folded wrong. This causes plaques and holes to form in the brain eventually getting in the way of normal brain functioning and causeing demetia (like Alzeihmers) and eventually the patient dies. It generally takes a long time to happen but is very sad and tragic of course. Mad cow disease is actually called BSE or bovine spongioform encephalitis, which basically means it makes cow brains look like sponge in science terms.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 07:35 PM
oh... okay, but what does mad cow disease do to humans?

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:58 PM
oh... okay, but what does mad cow disease do to humans?

The same thing it does to cows.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:14 PM
ohhhh, okay.,.. bad thoughts...

kskerr
09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
It essentially chews holes in the brain and makes it look like a sponge under the microscope. The term "mad" come in because the animal becomes brain damaged as do people. Symtoms are similar to Alzheimers and it is believed that perhaps some cases have been misdiagnosed as Alzheimers when they were in fact prion infections.

mazuac
09-18-2006, 03:15 PM
oh... weird... okay