PDA

View Full Version : Just to tell you....

Crazy4Microbes
04-20-2006, 07:05 AM
When I emailed GIANT Microbes I asked how they thought of them. They replied that one of the workers brothers was on a plane and then decided that the world needed a plush of the common cold. Isn't that strange? I guess the rest came later.

Giardia
04-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Strange...:D

kskerr
04-21-2006, 01:47 AM
I heard the creater had kids and that was at least part of the inspiration, anyone that has them knows they can be very gross (my neice can drop something, step on it, and then not think anything of picking it up and eating it :eek:)

Giardia
04-21-2006, 12:14 PM
My bro would have a heart attack! Anything, even a sealed bag of chips, that has touched the floor, he won't eat. He's the complete opposite of me...paranoid about microbes!

kskerr
04-21-2006, 02:10 PM
Does he get sick more than you?

Giardia
04-21-2006, 06:55 PM
lol, no.;)

kskerr
04-22-2006, 03:09 AM
My aunt and uncle did the neat freak thing with their kids and my family did not at all, my cousins were always getting sick but we rarely did, immune system needs a workout or something.

Giardia
04-22-2006, 11:07 AM
Why not just have fun? People get sick, the're miserable for a few days, but at least they were doing fun things rather than taking time to wash their hands every five minutes!

kskerr
04-24-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah, I just do my thing and if I get sick I follow the old saying "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger", that is how I sees it. Like cookie dough (mmm cookie dough) yep it has raw eggs in it and I know they can carry pathogens, but does that stop me from eating it, heck no!!!! Cookie dough is so awesome, if it takes me out at least I went out happy!!!

Giardia
04-25-2006, 05:39 PM
The question is, why bake it???:D :D :D :D

kskerr
04-26-2006, 10:45 PM
My mom yells at me but I am incapable of baking it anyway, I can never get it right! I can back awesome cupcakes, that is my baking skill, and I can bake meat rather well. Cookies are impossible! I rock at making the dough, and the dough can be better than baked cookies anyway :D!

Giardia
04-28-2006, 10:21 PM
I can bake just about anything. I bake cakes, cookies, bread, waffles, chicken...the list goes on!:D

kskerr
04-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I can bake meat no problem, it is the pastries/treats I have issues with. Can't remember ever trying bread, I should one of these days, maybe I could handle that!

Giardia
04-30-2006, 03:21 PM
I just took a cake out of the oven about fifteen minutes ago! A lemon cake with crunchy sugar topping. It is soooo good, I had to snitch a peice when the cake was hot. Burnt my mouth in the process!:D

kskerr
04-30-2006, 06:59 PM
I am incapable of waiting for whatever sweets to cool after coming out of the oven, I am not sure if it is possible! Like chocolate chip cookies right out of the oven when the chocolate is all melty and the cookie won't hold its shape... Better stop, I'll short out my keyboard!!!

Giardia
05-01-2006, 11:07 PM
Great, now I'm hungry! Fresh cookies are the best, when the chocolate is so hot it can burn your mouth!

kskerr
05-01-2006, 11:51 PM
Oh yeah!!!! :D :) :D :)

Giardia
05-02-2006, 11:16 PM
mmmmmmmmmmm, cookies (gurgling noise). Yeah, I watch the Simpsons a little too often...

kskerr
05-03-2006, 12:18 AM
I was thinking the same thing and I haven't watched that show in forever, that show rocks!

Giardia
05-28-2006, 02:21 PM
I've seen every episode. I kind of run a one-person Simpsons Cult.

kskerr
05-31-2006, 04:13 PM
I have seen many episodes but not all of them, not many of the new ones, don't watch much TV these days

Giardia
06-03-2006, 06:05 PM
The new ones are sunday at 8 on Fox

kskerr
06-04-2006, 09:45 AM
Think that would be 6 or 7 here, I am central time. I'd have to look it up.

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:36 AM
It's 7 then.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 10:54 PM
I can never remember to watch things, that is why I have a vcr programed to record my favorites.

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:25 PM
yeah, I just about killed myself when I missed half of today's new episode.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:36 PM
My thing said it was a rerun, though I have not watched in so long there would have been a chance I had not seen it...

Giardia
06-07-2006, 04:53 PM
That can happen...

kskerr
06-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Often does when I have not seen a series in forever, though sometimes it seems like they plan for me to watch and play only ones I have seen several times...

Giardia
06-20-2006, 11:07 PM
it does seem to do that, doesn't it?

kskerr
06-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Murphy's Law as it applies to TV watching (or do you call it a telly like the brits ;)...)

Giardia
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
We call it a T.V, sheesh. But we say garbage instead of trash...

kskerr
07-05-2006, 12:32 AM
In the midwest we alternate between garbage and trash, I use both.

Giardia
07-31-2006, 10:50 AM
I usually say garbadge, but I say trash occasionally...once i used the american spelling for a word on a test (not trash or garbage, something else), and it was marked wrong...I argued about it and finally won...i just had to write out the "proper" spelling 5 times, and the word was marked right. That was a rather pointless post...

kskerr
08-04-2006, 01:04 AM
An outrage, you should have been marked right, you are half American and all!!! Besides our way is the best way, less letters to have to remember...

Giardia
09-10-2006, 11:13 AM
We're allowed to use american spelling if we want to now (the spell check on microsoft word thinks canadian spellings are wrong) as long as it is the correct american spelling!

kskerr
09-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Funny my spell check tends to think both are right since I have accidentally spelled it the other way before. I use word.

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:07 PM
mine only does one of them

Pollock
09-10-2006, 06:43 PM
Funny my spell check tends to think both are right since I have accidentally spelled it the other way before. I use word.

What do you have your spell check set on? I know I can change the language on mine (since I used to have to write papers in French for class).

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 07:18 PM
i dont know ,you can change it?

kskerr
09-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Hmm I just checked it and it is in US english and it was tripping on the brit spellings, it has been a long time since I tried it, since my old computer, perhaps that one was set different. I prefer that my new computer makes sure I spell like an american...

Tuburculosis
09-11-2006, 02:18 PM
i dont know,how do you change it?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Tuburculosis
09-11-2006, 02:19 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:plz try again in 2 seconds...

mazuac
09-11-2006, 04:04 PM
My aunt and uncle did the neat freak thing with their kids and my family did not at all, my cousins were always getting sick but we rarely did, immune system needs a workout or something.

lol kskerr, i agree with you...

A worked out immune system is a healthey immune system;)

Pollock II
09-11-2006, 10:45 PM
Hmm I just checked it and it is in US english and it was tripping on the brit spellings, it has been a long time since I tried it, since my old computer, perhaps that one was set different. I prefer that my new computer makes sure I spell like an american...

You can put it on UK English, if you'd prefer you spell all of the words in your colourful vocabulary with your favourite letter... u! (Notice the subtle tribute)

kskerr
09-12-2006, 01:57 AM
That is my philosophy and I usually do not get sick. Though I have now had and fought off the flu twice (once a few years ago and then last year), might try and get my butt in for a flu shot this year, I never remember to do so even though it is a good thing to do...

Oh and welcome to the forum Alex :D. I have family in Michigan, very pretty state :)!

Tuburculosis
09-12-2006, 05:04 PM
im sick now

mazuac
09-12-2006, 06:56 PM
it stinks to be sick, but sometimes it's not so bad... When there was the shortage of Flue medicine i got a shot in i think late november... or, well, i know i got it REALLY earlly...

and thanks kskerr! what part of michigan do your families live in? i live in Oakland

kskerr
09-12-2006, 11:54 PM
They live by Fenton I think it is called, between Lansing and Detroit somewhere. Her garden is bigger than mine was so I was very jealous when I visited ;).

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 10:20 AM
That is my philosophy and I usually do not get sick. Though I have now had and fought off the flu twice (once a few years ago and then last year), might try and get my butt in for a flu shot this year, I never remember to do so even though it is a good thing to do...

Oh and welcome to the forum Alex :D. I have family in Michigan, very pretty state :)!

Your body has had to fight off two different strains of the flu. (Of course, you probbly knew that). I've never had the flu (knock on wood), but it's sort of because I'm really crazy about making sure I don't get sick. Every day I clean all the door knobs in my dorm with Clorox wipes and when I go to the school cafeteria I use a little hand sanitizer before I eat because I have NO IDEA who last touched the table, the bench, the trays, or anything else I might brush up agaisnt. After suffering grade-wise last semester from being sick, I've taken care to not have a repeat incident. Granted I love microbes, but I also love a high GPA.

I have family in Michigan too. Of course the last time I went, I was about 5, so I remember very little of the scenery.

mazuac
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
coolio! pie man rules!

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:27 PM
i like pie...

kskerr
09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
You can put it on UK English, if you'd prefer you spell all of the words in your colourful vocabulary with your favourite letter... u! (Notice the subtle tribute)

Lol :p :D! I tease all the brits and my favorite (or favourite in this case) canadian about all their silly u's :)!

I think this thing is having a lag on some of your posts, I am tired and unobservant but I don't think I am so much so that I would have missed three of your posts...

kskerr
09-13-2006, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=Pollock II]Every day I clean all the door knobs in my dorm with Clorox wipes and when I go to the school cafeteria I use a little hand sanitizer before I eat because I have NO IDEA who last touched the table, the bench, the trays, or anything else I might brush up agaisnt. After suffering grade-wise last semester from being sick, I've taken care to not have a repeat incident. Granted I love microbes, but I also love a high GPA.
QUOTE]

If I lived in a dorm I'd be crazy too, undergrads (no offense to you as you obviously do the personal hygiene thing) carry disease, especially in the communal setting of dorms. When I went to the doc earlier this year he was all about testing me for mono (which I did not have as I told him) and it seemed that everyone else was also being tested for that... Then we had the mumps outbreak last year, did not hit my campus much and being from Illinois I was properly vaccinated (think everyone that got it only received one dose instead of two, most were college students as I recall). And I love microbes more than most but definately do NOT love pathogens!

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Lol :p :D! I tease all the brits and my favorite (or favourite in this case) canadian about all their silly u's :)!

I think this thing is having a lag on some of your posts, I am tired and unobservant but I don't think I am so much so that I would have missed three of your posts...

That was one of the setbacks I mentioned to you earlier. It's settled now, so I'm happy. :)

kskerr
09-14-2006, 12:27 AM
I am glad it is fixed now, it was getting annoying, though not as annoying as that other thing...

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 02:41 PM
what othere thing............

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 05:42 PM
I am glad it is fixed now, it was getting annoying, though not as annoying as that other thing...

Yes. It's like chicken pox. The itching just makes it worse.

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
i never had chicken pox.wats it like?

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
Let's see, what's it like?

It's like having millions of misquito bites, only when you scratch them, they spread to other parts of your body.

My pediatrician said I had the worse case he'd ever seen. I had 'em inside me mouth and ears, all over the bottom of my feet and in my armpits, between my fingers, on my scalp and even in private areas, not to mention all over the remainder of my body. I was MISERABLE! I had them back when I was about 8 or 9. I got them at day camp from another girl there.

I just laid around my house for 2 weeks itching and taking oatmeal baths and crying and itching and wearing socks on my hands to keep myself from scratching. I still have a couple scars from where I picked at the little scabs.

Once you get them, you can never get them again, unless it's a very mild case the first time around. Most people get them as children, so TB, I'm sure you're bound to get them sooner or later.

kskerr
09-14-2006, 11:29 PM
Let's see, what's it like?

It's like having millions of misquito bites, only when you scratch them, they spread to other parts of your body.

My pediatrician said I had the worse case he'd ever seen. I had 'em inside me mouth and ears, all over the bottom of my feet and in my armpits, between my fingers, on my scalp and even in private areas, not to mention all over the remainder of my body. I was MISERABLE! I had them back when I was about 8 or 9. I got them at day camp from another girl there.

I just laid around my house for 2 weeks itching and taking oatmeal baths and crying and itching and wearing socks on my hands to keep myself from scratching. I still have a couple scars from where I picked at the little scabs.

Once you get them, you can never get them again, unless it's a very mild case the first time around. Most people get them as children, so TB, I'm sure you're bound to get them sooner or later.

Actually the virus migrates to your nerve endings and can cause shingles later in life, but it is uncommon to get it as chicken pox more than once. My youngest sister had it about as bad as you, it went down her throat and everything. It was not too bad for me, I was a little miserable but only for a few days and then I was bored because I was home with nothing to do. Poison ivy is what made me miserable for a couple weeks, still have red scars from that and discolored skin, the scars will eventually turn white and fade I think, not sure about the discoloration, I am just relieved to no longer be itching. Never wanted to just die before! That is what they should use if they really want to torchure people!

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I had chicken pox when i was a baby...I only had about 10 pox!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:19 AM
Well then lets hope you had them enough not have pox again :D, oh and welcome back!

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:25 AM
thanks! back to school was taking up my spare time

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Actually the virus migrates to your nerve endings and can cause shingles later in life, but it is uncommon to get it as chicken pox more than once. My youngest sister had it about as bad as you, it went down her throat and everything. It was not too bad for me, I was a little miserable but only for a few days and then I was bored because I was home with nothing to do. Poison ivy is what made me miserable for a couple weeks, still have red scars from that and discolored skin, the scars will eventually turn white and fade I think, not sure about the discoloration, I am just relieved to no longer be itching. Never wanted to just die before! That is what they should use if they really want to torchure people!

Go to your local health food store and get something called arni-flora gel. It's good for bruises, scars and other minor skin things.

My grandpa has shingles on his face right now, and they're all over his eyelid. They say he could lose his eye. He's had it for about 8-10 weeks now.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:23 PM
Go to your local health food store and get something called arni-flora gel. It's good for bruises, scars and other minor skin things.

My grandpa has shingles on his face right now, and they're all over his eyelid. They say he could lose his eye. He's had it for about 8-10 weeks now.

Shingles are just awful, hope he gets better soon!!! I am wondering if the vaccine will prevent it, might only if the body has never been exposed to the virus but perhaps it would work after chicken pox infection as well if it causes the immune system to go and weed the dormant viruses out of the nerve endings...

What is in the arni-flora gel? Being a scientist I am extremely skeptical of "natural products" and such, there is pretty much no regulation on them and so many have been proven either ineffective, or the "active ingrediant" is not even in the product or not in the amount they claim. Plus people are lulled into the false sense of security since they figure they are "natural" and that means it is safe, botulinum toxin is natural but I wouldn't want to ingest that... Some potent antimicrobials and drugs have been isolated from nature, as well as a ton of toxins. Also if you go synthetic it is highly regulated, has saftey tests on it, and you have a controlled dose. Too many people are taking too many supplements, some vitamins can cause the body serious damage if too much is taken, like Vitamin A for example. Of course too little can also cause problems, all things in moderation I say, except chocolate, chocolate is yummy :D!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:24 PM
thanks! back to school was taking up my spare time

I know what you mean!!! I do this when I should be doing something else usually, right now I should be plating yogurt samples and counting plates from a previous sampling...

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:51 PM
I was hesitant at first too, but I have a bad habit of pinching my bottom lip (nervous thing) and it gets really badly bruised. I put a little on every day or so and the bruise color and swelling diminishes. It's like some kind of plant goop. I can't really read the tube that well anymore because I've squeezed it all to hell.

Shingles are just awful, hope he gets better soon!!! I am wondering if the vaccine will prevent it, might only if the body has never been exposed to the virus but perhaps it would work after chicken pox infection as well if it causes the immune system to go and weed the dormant viruses out of the nerve endings...

What is in the arni-flora gel? Being a scientist I am extremely skeptical of "natural products" and such, there is pretty much no regulation on them and so many have been proven either ineffective, or the "active ingrediant" is not even in the product or not in the amount they claim. Plus people are lulled into the false sense of security since they figure they are "natural" and that means it is safe, botulinum toxin is natural but I wouldn't want to ingest that... Some potent antimicrobials and drugs have been isolated from nature, as well as a ton of toxins. Also if you go synthetic it is highly regulated, has saftey tests on it, and you have a controlled dose. Too many people are taking too many supplements, some vitamins can cause the body serious damage if too much is taken, like Vitamin A for example. Of course too little can also cause problems, all things in moderation I say, except chocolate, chocolate is yummy :D!

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 01:53 PM
i just found out,i had it!as a baby though...

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Like I said, if you get it when you're really young, you have a better chance of getting it again.

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 03:18 PM
:( i know,my dad had it twice too.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 08:05 PM
I was hesitant at first too, but I have a bad habit of pinching my bottom lip (nervous thing) and it gets really badly bruised. I put a little on every day or so and the bruise color and swelling diminishes. It's like some kind of plant goop. I can't really read the tube that well anymore because I've squeezed it all to hell.

I don't know, my bruises usually fade in a couple days anyway... I also bite my lips, I think one of lip ointment's major active ingrediants is the yuck flavor, makes one not want to bite it and so it is able to heal...

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 08:06 PM
i bit my lips just now!:(

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:10 PM
major bruisings usually last me about a week- 2 weeks, but i hurt my two and the bruise faded rather quikly

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:02 PM
ok.we talk about strange stuff here,right!

mazuac
09-19-2006, 05:37 PM
yes, we do... why do you ask? lol, hello GIANT microbes :)