PDA

View Full Version : Ice Skating is Dangerous to Your Health: A Staphylococcus Story.

Buboe
04-12-2006, 11:04 PM
Ice skating is dangerous to your health. Maybe not directly, maybe through a set of random circumstances, but I will never go again, and I strongly advise all of you not to as well. Here is my story:

It was a Wednesday night like many other. I was sitting around the dorm room, bored, when one of my friends bursts through the door, bearing a grin that stretched from ear to ear.
"Let's go ice skating tonight!"

I thought about this, and somehow, somewhere, I knew this was going to be a regrettable decision. Maybe it was instinct, maybe it was that voice in the back of your head that tells you when you're doing something stupid, but this voice of reason couldn't stop me from bursting out with glee "Sure, sounds good!"

It's 7:00 PM and my friends and I are on the skating rink, flying around the ice. Actually, I'm puttering about slowly and stumbling occasionally, but still having a good time. My skates are somewhat loose, and the rough interior acts like sandpaper against my skin. After a half hour or so, it starts sinking in that my ankles are actually starting to throb. Not a pounding ache, but rather a jagged, scratchy pulse, as if someone was sliding a nail file against my legs. Intelligently deciding to ignore this for the time and continue hobbling majestically across the ice, I continued for another half hour until closing time.

We get back to the room, and after removing my socks I notice that there are two jagged, scarlike marks across the backs of my ankles, as bright red as a sunburn and hurting about ten times as much. I think about this for a while, and come to the conclusion that it's probably just a mild skin burn. I climb into bed and go to sleep, unable to lie on my back because of the pain where my ankles meet the sheets.

I'm showering in the morning, and every time the water splashes against my ankles, it literally burns like fire. Deciding to leave my ankles unwashed for the next few days, I go about my business and stop thinking about my injury.

It's five days later, and my ankles have refused to stop burning. My left leg is starting to hurt, and I begin to wonder if I'd rolled or sprained it. After class one night, I take a closer looks and realize to my horror my foot had swelled up to the size of a grapefruit. The little knob on the side of my foot was literally swallowed up in a whitish-red fleshy ball. It was time to take action.

I walked to our local health clinic after several more days, noticing that every day the pain in my left leg became worse. Sure that I had sprained it, I talked to the nurse, who upon examining my leg ushered me directly to a doctor's office. After several hours of waiting, the doctor was finally able to take a look at the ankle.

It was another day until I get a call from the doctor, a call that completely changed my life from then on.

My foot, according to the doctor, was a festering ball of staphylococcus. Apparently as a leftover "gift" from the skates, the staph had permeated the wound and made the leg its permanent home. The doctor told me to come in immediately the following day.

I was told that the infection was very severe, and that if it wasn't caught in time drastic action would have to be taken. I received a shot of a powerful antibiotic, and I'll just tell you that it wasn't in the arm. I was sitting sideways for the next few days.

The next day, the doctor came in and looked at me gravely. The infection was so severe that a decision had to be made. Either the foot would have to be amputated, or the infection would crawl up into the groin area, possibly infecting the lymph nodes. I was in a state of shock so severe that I had to lie back. I couldn't believe what I was hearing, the true impact of what the doctor was saying. However, the doctor also said that if the antibiotic kicked in the way it was supposed to, the risk would drop dramatically and amputation would not be necessary. I breathed a sigh of relief and felt nothing but helplessness as I was forced to wait.

Luckily, the antibiotic took, and after a few weeks of bandages and repeat doctor visits I was able to get back on my feet, and today my ankles look almost normal.

The moral?

Don't Ice skate.

Stx-2
04-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Revised moral: never leave a festering wound unwashed.

kskerr
04-12-2006, 11:19 PM
I'm with Stx, never ever leave a festering wound unwashed!!! I was a deli clerk for 4 years to pay for my undergrad and had my share of wounds, one went to the bone, I kept them clean and treated them with rubbing alcohol and none of the major ones (aka ones I needed to go to the ER to get fixed) ever got infected. Also never ice skate with ice skates that don't fit right and keep going until your skin is rubbed off, that would account for the initial swelling...

Giardia
04-13-2006, 06:57 PM
I hate ice skating anyways! The skates hurt waaay to much! (I have size ten feet, and I'm only 12!!)

Giardia
04-14-2006, 11:51 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: I just found out that there is a new antibiotic-resitent strain of staphylococcus...IN MY PROVINCE! I'm never going ice skating, because if I catch it, antibiotics can't save me...NOT AMPUTATION!!!

kskerr
04-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Relax Giardia, antibiotic resistant bacteria are everywhere and ice skating is not what caused Buboe's problem, not washing a festering wound did that! Besides the staph might not be resistant to all antibiotics, it is usually susceptable to at least one kind (not always but usually).

Giardia
04-15-2006, 10:12 PM
People are testing numerous antibiotics on this bacteria, but have had no luck so far. It's just the matter of finding the right one...

kskerr
04-17-2006, 01:12 AM
Well if people were more responsible with antibiotics this wouldn't be such an issue, I blame all, docs, media, and companies that pimp antimicrobial products are the worst.

Giardia
04-17-2006, 01:44 PM
totally agree. I still know people who take antibiotics for a cold!!! Sheesh, how dumb can one get?

kskerr
04-17-2006, 08:34 PM
Ack :eek: for a cold, how idiotic!!!!

Giardia
04-17-2006, 10:39 PM
tell me about it:rolleyes:

kskerr
04-18-2006, 01:58 AM
Well I guess in light of the taking an antibiotic for a cold thing Buboe's not washing the wound is not quite as bad, I mean it is not intellegent by any stretch but at least it isn't potentially causing a public health risk...

Giardia
04-18-2006, 07:49 PM
I suppose...:D

kskerr
04-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Resisting urge to jump on soap box and preach about misuse and overuse of antibiotics....

Giardia
04-19-2006, 04:40 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!:eek:

kskerr
04-19-2006, 08:06 PM
Some of my family and a couple friends do that on purpose, they know how to trigger the speach and then they tease me when it works and I go into it. So mean!

Giardia
04-20-2006, 10:12 PM
Downright evil.:D

kskerr
04-21-2006, 02:07 AM
They are, I am learning to ignore them and just give them dirty looks! When I find black listed products in their possession they get it though!

Giardia
04-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Dirty looks...they're a good thing!;) :D

kskerr
04-21-2006, 01:56 PM
I have a whole range of them, then there is stony silence, that combined with several of my dirty looks can cause a grown man twice my size to potentially wet himself (especially if he knows me...). Been awhile since I used that combo, though one of my friends here seems to be asking for it...

Giardia
04-21-2006, 07:04 PM
HIDE! IT'S KSKERR'S POTENTIALLY DANDEROUS DIRTY LOOKS!!!:p :p :D :D

kskerr
04-22-2006, 03:25 AM
Now I have two that need to watch out, though one might knowingly do so and the other is oblivious (men!).

Giardia
04-22-2006, 10:58 AM
:D:D:D:D Scary!

kskerr
04-24-2006, 10:22 PM
No dirty looks were dished out, Jason behaved himself (unless he misbahaved behind my back...) Guess I'll find out tomorrow, unless the other guy is being sneaky... Men are such devious creatures!!! No wonder women have to develop looks that can kill!

Giardia
04-25-2006, 05:50 PM
It's in our natures;)

kskerr
04-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Only because they make us, otherwise we are all sugar and spice and all ;)!

kskerr
04-26-2006, 11:04 PM
Appears the menfolk behaved this time! Shocking :eek:!!! :D

Giardia
04-28-2006, 10:08 PM
NO WAY!!! They know how to behave???:eek:

kskerr
04-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Apparently the threat of violence works, at least to a point...

Giardia
04-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Then after that point, you're stuck in a rut

kskerr
04-30-2006, 07:24 PM
I only had to get violent with them one time in my last group, that got their respect, never tried that again!!!

Giardia
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
You gotta do what you gotta do!

kskerr
05-01-2006, 11:39 PM
Being the only female in a group of guys you better believe it!

mazuac
09-19-2006, 06:44 PM
lol... we men are CRAAZY!

Tuburculosis
09-19-2006, 06:55 PM
yes we are!most of us at least,not refined polite gentalmen though...:rolleyes:

kskerr
09-19-2006, 10:12 PM
I was right Pollock!

Pollock II
09-19-2006, 11:48 PM
Augh, I'd so give you a dollar, but I'm too lazy to send snail mail.

kskerr
09-20-2006, 01:06 AM
It was 50/50 ;)

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:04 AM
50/50?on what?wether we are all coo-coo or not?

Pollock II
09-20-2006, 08:24 AM
It was 50/50 ;)

Bah! And you chose the winning 50! I was so sure though!

mazuac
09-20-2006, 05:39 PM
us men are quite prepoustrous! don't you agree sir Tuberculosis!?!?

kskerr
09-20-2006, 05:43 PM
Bah! And you chose the winning 50! I was so sure though!

It was a tough call but I think that there were signs of defective chromosome disorder from the beginning, when you have studied the disorder as extensively as I have you learn to spot them.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 06:31 PM
WOW! who has a defective chromasome disorder!?!? isn't a chromosome in your DNA???

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:41 PM
yes!a cromosone disorder!?:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kskerr
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM
WOW! who has a defective chromasome disorder!?!? isn't a chromosome in your DNA???

A chromosome is made up of DNA. I call the Y chromosome defective because of its small size, low number of genes, the lower survival rate of male fetuses, and the often stupid nature of the male gender... Don't worry, with education and therapy it is the only chromosomal disorder that can at least partially be overcome (the negative behavioral charactaristics I mean).

Oh cool I found my butterfly! Last night before the frost I was bringing in my plants and found a dying butterfly, I decided to pick it up and bring it in and see if I could either rescue it or get a good pic of it. So it started acting better even in my hands so I figured it was perhaps the cold that was making it act ill. So I put it in one of my fish buckets since it only had an old filter and a few ornaments in it (no water), and put a peice of plastic on top to keep it in, I was going to release it when I got home since it is warmer. Well I was running late this morning and did not want to miss the bus and have to walk again since it is so cold and in my haste I knocked the plastic off without knowing it. Well the butterfly was not in the bucket when I came home, and I was kinda looking for it a bit but did not see it until now. It is sitting on one of the plants I brought in, a basil plant. Think I'll adopt it seeing that winter is almost here and it would die outdoors soon, who knows how long it will live inside. I have flowers on some of the plants that it could feed on but it will likely need more especially since most of the plants will no longer flower since they will not get enough light being indoors, wonder if table sugar would be appropriate and how much to add to water... Must ask Daddy, he raised some as a kid I think...

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:46 PM
a buterfly?aww,good you saved it!

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:09 PM
a buterfly?aww,good you saved it!

A pretty yellow one :D. Though it will not open its wings for me to get a pic of the insides of them, why they can't have the vivid colors on the outsides where it is easier I don't know (ok I do know, if it were on the outside they would have a lot harder time trying to hide). It blends in with the basil rather well actually, I'm kinda lucky to have spotted it. I was expecting it to die considering how pathetic it was flopping around on the ground, it was sad.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:23 PM
you have to walk to college????

kskerr
09-20-2006, 08:26 PM
did it????????????

It is alive and looking well on one of the plants I brought in from the patio.

kskerr
09-20-2006, 08:35 PM
you have to walk to college????

My two options are taking the bus or walking, both are free. If I wanted I could buy a very expensive parking permit and could them attempt to park on campus, but the permit does not guarantee I would get a spot and some of the spots are farther away than my apartment is I think, or not much closer, plus I had to pay $92 already to get a permit to park in front of my apartment since it is on-campus (owned by the school, it is about a mile north of campus). Large universitys rarely have good parking, everywhere I visited that was a complaint, ISU has a great bus system in general but there are times I wish they would run more buses, like my morning bus, they only have it every half hour but have two buses come because there are so many people at that time (9:30 am), to me it seems smarter to instead have one at 9:30 and one at either 9:15, 9:45, or both. I think some of the times are messed up too, I generally have to choose to either be very early or late for class, of course I choose early but I would rather not have to sit around waiting for 20 minutes. But I do not make the schedules, I just have to live by them or walk, walking is not bad and it is a good form of excerise so when I am not in a hurry or feeling lazy, it is good weather, and I am not in pain or starving I will walk.

Pollock II
09-20-2006, 11:50 PM
I live in Houston and go to school in Nacogdoches. I live on campus, so walking for me consists of walking to class and from class. Usually I bring my bike up, but it's too rainy lately for me to bother. I spent too much on it to let it rust.

kskerr
09-21-2006, 02:23 AM
I live in Houston and go to school in Nacogdoches. I live on campus, so walking for me consists of walking to class and from class. Usually I bring my bike up, but it's too rainy lately for me to bother. I spent too much on it to let it rust.

I've toyed with getting my bike fixed and bringing it here but I am not sure if my knee would like it, I have not riden a bike in probably around 10 years, and I complain about the undergrads riding their bikes and trying to run me over with them it might be a little hypocritical or something for me to start tooling around on one, though I would be very careful and walk it around campus and basically ride it in the deserted areas mostly... That and probably only in summer when there is not much traffic, I do see some on bikes here in winter but it is rather dangerous I'd think with the ice and snow and such...

Pollock II
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
I always tell someone when I'm behind them. I'll shout "Bike on your (left/right)!!" And they'll move. Unfortunately not many cyclists do the same and I almost collided with some girl the other day.

kskerr
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
I always tell someone when I'm behind them. I'll shout "Bike on your (left/right)!!" And they'll move. Unfortunately not many cyclists do the same and I almost collided with some girl the other day.

I like the ones that pedal back or coast or whatever so that the bike makes a noise I can hear, most of them do not seem to do that. I figure since they are going faster than I and can see me from behind it is their responsibiliy to move, I stay on one side of the sidewalk usually so that it is easy to get around me. I think the ones that try riding on the sidewalks of main campus that are pretty packed with walkers are stupid, seems to me they would be better off walking the bike (many do but some are stubborn), they have to go so slow to weave through the masses. The smarter ones go on the street to ride on campus, the campus has limited access to them during the day so pretty much only buses and some university vehicles are going around then.

Pollock II
09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
I like the ones that pedal back or coast or whatever so that the bike makes a noise I can hear, most of them do not seem to do that. I figure since they are going faster than I and can see me from behind it is their responsibiliy to move, I stay on one side of the sidewalk usually so that it is easy to get around me. I think the ones that try riding on the sidewalks of main campus that are pretty packed with walkers are stupid, seems to me they would be better off walking the bike (many do but some are stubborn), they have to go so slow to weave through the masses. The smarter ones go on the street to ride on campus, the campus has limited access to them during the day so pretty much only buses and some university vehicles are going around then.

Try clipping a baseball car or other stiff cardstock to your bike, so it clacks up against the spokes. That'll make people move.

It really depends on what time of day too. Early in the mornigs it's slow and empty, but around 10-noon when all the jerks have their first classes of the day, it gets packed and annoying.

kskerr
09-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Try clipping a baseball car or other stiff cardstock to your bike, so it clacks up against the spokes. That'll make people move.

It really depends on what time of day too. Early in the mornigs it's slow and empty, but around 10-noon when all the jerks have their first classes of the day, it gets packed and annoying.

My bike is in my parent's garage and needing new tube things, and I think it makes a noise when you put the pedal back. Bet the undergrads would not appreciate it if I started tagging their bikes, they should have to wear bells or something ;)! If I were going to bring and ride my bike here I would only do it in areas where there would not be many people and I would avoid them not have them avoid me as I would be moving faster and be able to move around quicker. It think responsibility on the sidewalk should be on the person with the wheels unless the pedestrian is being an idiot. On streets I think it should be the pedestrian's job to make sure they are not walking out in front of cars because cars take longer to stop and are not as quickly manuvered as a person, the whole look both ways thing supposedly taught by parents and elementary schools, seems some college students either forget that or maybe were never taught. I have seen adults do it in chicago (the actual city of) too, just keep walking without looking as if it were still the sidewalk and not a street with cars on it in a busy city...

Pollock II
09-21-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a bell on my bike!

One day I was walking to class, and a car almost hit me. Turns out it was my English teacher!! It was ackward to see her in class (since that was where I was walking to).

Tuburculosis
09-21-2006, 03:26 PM
your own theather almost accidenty hit you?

kskerr
09-22-2006, 02:08 AM
I have a bell on my bike!

One day I was walking to class, and a car almost hit me. Turns out it was my English teacher!! It was ackward to see her in class (since that was where I was walking to).

That would be very disconcerting!!!

Pollock II
09-22-2006, 08:27 AM
That would be very disconcerting!!!

I found out recently that she got fired because of my class. She was a terrible teacher anyways. On our first test, over half of the class failed (30 kids in the class I think about 18 or 20 received Fs), and she said it was because we didn't study hard enough. Not to mention my book for that class cost $135, and then at the end of the semester, she decided not to use it again, so I was out $135 which I had really been counting on.

kskerr
09-22-2006, 04:04 PM
I found out recently that she got fired because of my class. She was a terrible teacher anyways. On our first test, over half of the class failed (30 kids in the class I think about 18 or 20 received Fs), and she said it was because we didn't study hard enough. Not to mention my book for that class cost $135, and then at the end of the semester, she decided not to use it again, so I was out $135 which I had really been counting on.

I lucked out as an undergrad, had great profs for the most part. Small schools tend to hire good ones I think because they tend to be more focused on education since they do not have a huge research program that eats up time and resources, of course the huge research programs benefit the big schools, and society and people like me who work in that area...

I never sold back my books, never plan to on the science texts as they are all reference texts, many I use now while I did not when I was in the class.

If more than half the class failed it is almost always a reflection on the professor or test, not the students, while there is likely always some lazy people who do not try or study hard enough they are generally not 50% or more of the class (unless it is a tiny class of lazys but usually tiny classes are advanced ones and have people who are into the subject). Perhaps this woman never heard of statistics and probabilities and such... I think it is likely almost statistically impossible for 50% of a class of 30 to be that crappy of students. Glad they got rid of her so she can't mess up any more students!

kskerr
09-22-2006, 04:06 PM

You could try selling it online, I buy most of mine online for cheaper than the bookstore, plus it often is helping out fellow students or at least not giving even more money to the school (like my schools but do not like how many fees they nail me with).

Pollock II
09-22-2006, 04:27 PM
I lucked out as an undergrad, had great profs for the most part. Small schools tend to hire good ones I think because they tend to be more focused on education since they do not have a huge research program that eats up time and resources, of course the huge research programs benefit the big schools, and society and people like me who work in that area...

I never sold back my books, never plan to on the science texts as they are all reference texts, many I use now while I did not when I was in the class.

If more than half the class failed it is almost always a reflection on the professor or test, not the students, while there is likely always some lazy people who do not try or study hard enough they are generally not 50% or more of the class (unless it is a tiny class of lazys but usually tiny classes are advanced ones and have people who are into the subject). Perhaps this woman never heard of statistics and probabilities and such... I think it is likely almost statistically impossible for 50% of a class of 30 to be that crappy of students. Glad they got rid of her so she can't mess up any more students!

The one girl who sat next to me said it was her third time to take the class with that woman (since she was the only one who offered it) and she had failed all 3 times!

Part of me wanted to keep it, but I needed the money more. Of course, it didn't end up like that. I try to keep most of my English books, but some of them are just terrible mish mashes of certain authors' works. I'm glad I have it now. I haven't yet made reference to it, but I know that when I become a teacher, it'll be on my desk at all times.

kskerr
09-22-2006, 06:38 PM
The one girl who sat next to me said it was her third time to take the class with that woman (since she was the only one who offered it) and she had failed all 3 times!

Part of me wanted to keep it, but I needed the money more. Of course, it didn't end up like that. I try to keep most of my English books, but some of them are just terrible mish mashes of certain authors' works. I'm glad I have it now. I haven't yet made reference to it, but I know that when I become a teacher, it'll be on my desk at all times.

Now did she finally pass, quit, or is she taking it with the replacement? Yeah sometimes I wonder why I bother trying to put my micro texts in the bookcase in my room, they always migrate back to the home office! Often they are on the floor around my chair or on a foot stool and I twirl around and grab the one I need and return to facing the computer... I am strongly considering reorganising the office and moving the case into the office, it matches the office furniture anyway, and making room for something to put the books on so they are not on the floor (not that they are where I walk usually, often under the other desk). Perhaps I should have made the bigger room the office (I have a two bedroom aparment, only bugs, plants, and fish as roommates)! Funny thing was when I was figuring out if I wanted one or two bedrooms my Dad told me to go for one since when he had two he never used it so it was a waste, I spend way more time in the office than my room! Plus the closet is invaluable for storing more of my junk (I am a total packrat). Not sure but I am pretty sure I brought my english reference here (if I didn't I plan to), believe mine is the New St. Martin's, but I would have to look for sure. Most of the books I left in Chicago since they are not in my field or even close, brought all the math and science.

Pollock II
09-22-2006, 07:20 PM
She was canned.

I have so many text books and reference books, that I brought only the necessities to school, and the rest are either in my room at home ir in storage at home.

kskerr
09-22-2006, 11:12 PM
She was canned.

I have so many text books and reference books, that I brought only the necessities to school, and the rest are either in my room at home ir in storage at home.

I told my mom she could sell the nonscience ones if she wanted to, not sure if she will get around to it.