PDA

View Full Version : anyone sick?

puffazoid
03-28-2006, 05:44 PM
OK, this is going to sound really stupid but has anyone who has had the plush toy of mad cow (and others...) ever gotten the illness?:confused:

kskerr
03-28-2006, 07:04 PM
I've had strep, colds, maybe the flu, and have nonpathogenic E. coli in my gut. My doc thought I had mono but my blood test proved him wrong. The question is only stupid if one is suggesting they got the illness from the plush otherwise it fits into this forum rather well ;).

Giardia
04-03-2006, 11:29 PM
UUGH! I had the flu two years ago. First, my stomach hurt from hunger, and when I ate my stomach hurt from the need to throw up! The flu is lucky that it is so cute as a Giant Microbe, or I'd give it a peice of my mind:D .

Efogoto
04-04-2006, 02:54 PM
I used to get athlete's foot on a regular basis, but those days are long behind me. I worked with a guy that had had a bout with polio as a child in the early fifties; it left him with certain physical debilities and I'm happy that one never got hold of me. In fact, there are many of these that I'm happy never to have had. :)

kskerr
04-04-2006, 08:27 PM
One of my undergrad profs had polio, she was great. I did not realise how recent it was an issue until I saw a video and they showed this woman that is still in an iron lung since getting it as a kid, that has to be horrible! My dad remembers a friend of his getting it and his mom not letting him even talk to the kid on the phone because she was scared he'd get it, those were scary times, thank goodness for Salk and Sabin!!!

Vireyda
04-11-2006, 08:59 AM
I've probably had most of the health microbes (Common cold, flu, stomach ache, sore throat, cough, and especially ear ache - I had those all the time when I was younger). And who hasn't had pimple? But I haven't had anything more serious than those.

Giardia
04-11-2006, 11:05 PM
yeah, I've had all the health. I've also had pimple, and I caught Giardia last year at summer camp. That really sucked. I had to lie in the medical office while everyone else went swimming and hiking:( . But, now that it's gone, It makes a good story:rolleyes: . Although, I had to use outhouses, If you know what I mean;)

Stx-2
04-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Good thing Giardia isn't passed out through the feces or else other kids who used the outhouse might not have liked you...oh wait...good thing kids at summer camp have such great hygiene! haha

kskerr
04-12-2006, 11:24 PM
I've had pimple but currently don't have it, unless it is in the mail, my sibling told me she ordered me a microbe and it was being shipped fedex, so far they have not delivered. I hope they will just leave it at my door when it gets here, I am not home much during the day so if I need to sign for it I'm screwed.

Giardia
04-13-2006, 06:52 PM
Good thing Giardia isn't passed out through the feces or else other kids who used the outhouse might not have liked you...oh wait...good thing kids at summer camp have such great hygiene! haha
That's not funny:p . It's not our fault they only let us take one shower a week! I don't like that camp (the one I don't like is where I caught Giardia). At the other camp that I really like (never caught Giardia there...), you can take as many showers as you like...in fact, they encourage it!

kskerr
04-15-2006, 10:50 AM
Hmm, with a bunch of sweaty kids running around I think I would require daily showers!!!

Giardia
04-17-2006, 06:28 PM
Oh, I forgot, I had head lice when I was 6. That really sucked. My scalp itched soooooo much. Just glad it's over! Make sure, especially if you have long hair, to wash it and brush it often, and you're less likely to go through what I did.:D

kskerr
04-17-2006, 08:42 PM
I had lice when I was in 5th grade, it was nearly impossible to get rid of (I have two little sisters so we passed it back and forth)! I didn't really feel too much itchiness but missed a lot of school (plus it is a great topic to tease someone about, took several years for them to drop that one). Too bad one cannot be immunized against lice, that is one I'd like to erradicate!

Giardia
04-17-2006, 10:34 PM
I just never told anyone...People in my first grade class knew, but I think they couldn't understand it, so I was safe.

kskerr
04-18-2006, 01:52 AM
My classmates were the ones that teased me, I went to a small school so we all knew each other and not much happened to distract from such things, plus I being the only one that had it at the time it was very obvious I was the one that had them (the class was inspected weekly as I recall until I was cleared). Those were not fun times, never went to the girl that gave them to me's house again after that! I missed a lot of school during that whole thing!

Crazy4Microbes
04-18-2006, 07:41 AM
I have had all the health germs, in fact, I am sitting here coughing my brains out right now.

Giardia
04-18-2006, 07:46 PM
ouch. I hate coughing.

kskerr
04-19-2006, 03:06 AM
I had a sneezing fit eariler and now am coughing, hope I'm not comming down with one of our friends! And right after telling my cousin that I hardly ever get sick...

Giardia
04-19-2006, 04:42 PM
What will you say to her now!?!?:eek:

kskerr
04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
Ah good, I am fine, must have been dust in the air or something, it was windy out (seems to be windy all the time here in Iowa!) maybe that had something to do with it...

Giardia
04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Oh, thank god!;)

kskerr
04-21-2006, 02:02 AM
I probably wouldn't have told her if I was, I do not like worrying the family when it is not absolutely necessary...

Giardia
04-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Yeah, then they won't let you get the rest you really need.

kskerr
04-21-2006, 02:02 PM
More that I don't like showing weakness and having a fuss made over me is embarrassing, that is a benefit to living on my own!

Giardia
04-21-2006, 07:01 PM
I like lying around while people follow my every whim, though...

kskerr
04-22-2006, 03:22 AM
Yeah I never got that too much so it would freak me out :p

Giardia
04-22-2006, 11:00 AM
never freaks me out!:D

kskerr
04-24-2006, 10:29 PM
I think I would be a doter if I had kids, if they were like me they would learn how to hide being sick so I wouldn't fuss. Like how kids in the cartoons or whatever put the thermometer by a lightbulb to heat it, they would put theirs in the air to cool it off...

Giardia
04-25-2006, 05:48 PM
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

kskerr
04-26-2006, 10:58 PM
I hid it when I could... Though I never faked a temp, either way. My temp is actually lower than normal, so when I am at normal temp it means I am hot or developing a fever. My mom's thing was that unless we were throwing up or had a high fever we went to school. Still live by that myself.

Giardia
04-28-2006, 10:14 PM
ewww! i can't survive the school day with a sore throat! I stay home!

kskerr
04-29-2006, 12:30 PM
I had strep so bad one time that the old doc was amazed, developed larangitis because of it (which is why I got dragged in to the doc, good thing too since strep can turn into scarlet fever and cause heart issues). I went to school the whole time, teachers loved the larangitis!

Giardia
04-30-2006, 03:34 PM
My dad said that his work friend's daughter was sick with the strep. He asked if there was a microbe available of strep, and I said yes, and pointed to it on my bed. He thought maybe he could give one to his friend for fun, and I said that if he really wanted to scare them, he should send flesh eating!

kskerr
04-30-2006, 07:23 PM
Both are caused by the same bug... Strep is one of my favorites, I think it is adorable :D! Funny that you were able to just point at it :D!

Giardia
05-01-2006, 10:57 PM
I really like flesh eating! So funny! I'm taking flesh eating, martian life, black death, cough, TB, and Polio to school tomorrow to show my science class! My classmates love them, probably because my presentation takes up an otherwise boring class!

kskerr
05-01-2006, 11:41 PM
Ack, refering to science class as boring :eek:! What is the topic? I usually loved science class, but there are some bring topics I'll admitt... I'm sure your presentations are great :D!

Giardia
08-01-2006, 05:50 PM
geology....ewwww...the teacher did an eighty minute lecture on rocks once!

kskerr
08-04-2006, 01:19 AM
My sister adored earth sci, she came home going on and on about rocks and had much fun playing with the driveway rocks finding ones with different kinds of rock goo in them, it was very strange! They all look alike to me!

Giardia
08-04-2006, 10:45 PM
i've never been a fan of rocks...my dad's a geologist, but i've never found inanimate objects very interesting...guess i didn't get the "rock gene"

kskerr
08-06-2006, 12:03 AM
Geodes are cool and some rocks are very pretty and when I have my own place I'll likely have some rocks as part of the landscaping/waterscaping (I plan to have very awesome yard design), but studying them and knowing all the different kinds and such does not appeal. At least your dad coulda helped you with the homework if you needed it, or could possibly given you some weird factoids to astound the class with. Bacteria are way cooler than rocks, bacteria can grow on rocks...

Giardia
08-06-2006, 01:33 PM
i suppose my dad was useful at times...earlier in the year, we studies chemistry, which was ok, because we did some cool labs...next year we're studying human biology...one of my favourites!

kskerr
08-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Chem lab can be a lot of fun! In high school chem we had one where the teacher "sacrificed" gummy bears, he had something that he heated up and when he added the gummy bears they would start on fire and explode and stuff, it was really neat! Then he had a chunk of elemental sodium (not sodium chloride aka table salt) and he showed us how it reacts explosively in water, it was very cool, we ended up playing with it and paper, I know some oragami so I made some things for him to blow up and it entertained us quite a lot :D! The funniest was likely the crane, its head kinda exploded, te he!

Giardia
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
exploding origami...sounds like a very serious science class;)

kskerr
08-08-2006, 02:41 AM
It was great :D

Giardia
09-10-2006, 11:09 AM
oh, great. our grade eight science teacher is well known for long, boring science lectures! Luckily, we get to do some serious chemistry labs this year, as well as eyeball dissection.

kskerr
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I didn't do any dissections until high school. Then it was optional for the frog, we had to come after school if we wanted to do it, I of course was one of surprisingly many to go for it. Then fetal pig was for human anatomy and it was not optional, my lab partner wasn't into it so I got to do all the work, she was a great lab partner!!! That was the class we did eyeballs in, it was very cool, wait until you see what I think is called the retina, the back of the inside of the ball, it is beautiful!

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:03 PM
oh, great. our grade eight science teacher is well known for long, boring science lectures! Luckily, we get to do some serious chemistry labs this year, as well as eyeball dissection.

eww!ive done squid diccection,it was like jelly:D .

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
kool, i wanna dissect a squid

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 08:49 PM
I didn't do any dissections until high school. Then it was optional for the frog, we had to come after school if we wanted to do it, I of course was one of surprisingly many to go for it. Then fetal pig was for human anatomy and it was not optional, my lab partner wasn't into it so I got to do all the work, she was a great lab partner!!! That was the class we did eyeballs in, it was very cool, wait until you see what I think is called the retina, the back of the inside of the ball, it is beautiful!

We had to dissect some kind of fish my senior year in high school. It was pretty foul, because not only was the room filled with the smell of fourmeldahyde, but a faint fishy odor as well...

We're currently doing fetal pigs in my Bio Lab class. We startede them on Monday, and we'll finish up next Monday. We're labeling all the organs; the pictures in our lab manual look NOTHING like the inside of the pig, so it's difficult to find the specific organs, and the definitions don't really help much either.

kskerr
09-13-2006, 11:25 PM
Mmm formadehyde and fish, sounds delightful... Here is a link to a sculpture I made back in the day, http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39767193/, I labeled it and such, might help, might not. Do you have the cool kind that has the two colors of latex injected through the umbilical cord to show which are veins and arteries?

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 02:52 PM
the squid i did was weird,it was like a plate of jelly and some melty chesses on top,weird...

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Mmm formadehyde and fish, sounds delightful... Here is a link to a sculpture I made back in the day, http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39767193/, I labeled it and such, might help, might not. Do you have the cool kind that has the two colors of latex injected through the umbilical cord to show which are veins and arteries?

Yes, there are bright blue and red lines all over the pig; they don't look natural at all. He stinks all to hell though, and because we got one of the smaller pigs, it's becoming increasingly difficult to find and label everything. The group next to us was blessed with the largest fetal pig (about the size of a normal one year old piglet) and it's so easy to see things inside of it. Of course they're all screaming whining "ewwwww I don't wanna touch it" sort of girls.

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
you dicected a pig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Yes, I *disected* a piglet. I'm in college, that's what college biology classes are about. Learning things on a more invloved and advanced level.

kskerr
09-14-2006, 11:18 PM
I did my fetal pig in high school even, it was so cool, I loved my "Eww I don't want to touch it girl" lab partner, let me do all the cool hands on stuff. Though she would help if needed and she was strangely fascinated by the chicken wing dissection, was very hands on for that one, I thought that one was boring so let her play. My pig was a smaller one, it was cute, loved the colored latex, the kidney was so cool because of it, we had done a full sized pig kidney the week before and it was no where near as good as the tiny one because the tiny one showed how it works with the blood vessels highlighted like that. I did not have too much trouble until I got to the brain, the smaller pig's brains were like jelly and so when you went to try to section it they would just disintigrate pretty much. Many of the lab groups didn't actually get to see the intact ones because they were so delicate that they did not make it through opening the skull, I was very gentle and so mine was unscathed until I tried to remove it, that was just not possible. The bigger pigs had much more solid brains. All around it was a great, albeit smelly, experience!

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:31 AM
My dad was also suprised when I told him we were doing eyeball dissection in grade 8 biology...He said the same thing...he didn't dissect until high school. I'm quite pleased and exited...I've been waiting for dissection since I became fascinated with biology (about grade 5).

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:41 AM
In my middle school they saved dissection for the gifted/advanced classes, of which I was never a part. In high school it was required for all biology classes to dissect something; average classes got mud puppies and AP/GT science classesd got sharks I think.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:37 PM
My dad was also suprised when I told him we were doing eyeball dissection in grade 8 biology...He said the same thing...he didn't dissect until high school. I'm quite pleased and exited...I've been waiting for dissection since I became fascinated with biology (about grade 5).

I always looked forward to the frog, had to wait until 10th grade for it but when it finally came it was awesome! As I remember I had a female frog, somewhat immature. They did not require it, we all did a virtual dissection, those of us geeky enough to want to do the real thing (which really did not compare), had to stay after school to do so. Guess since that class was somewhat required (it was that or earth science to complete the science req) of everyone they did not want the issue of parents going crazy about how awful it is to make their little precious handle a dead thing pickled in a carcinogen... In advanced bio human anatomy the pig was required but the course was entirely elective so you could choose not to take it if cutting up babe disturbed you or your parents. I managed to con my physics teacher into letting me stay in adv bio instead of playing games in his class (there were back to back sections of the bio course) so I could do a more in depth dissection of my pig on the last pig day. I carefully dissected out the entire spinal cord intact, my teacher was very impressed and displayed it during the lab test (called a lab practical).

Never heard of high schools doing mud puppies or sharks, very cool! The frog is an American tradition though...

kskerr
09-15-2006, 09:49 PM
Manners, or whatever you call them, are essential on a forum, the ones that make it have members that respect one another, without that it falls apart. This forum has been around for almost a year, I am one of the original members, I do not want this forum ruined for everyone by people who cannot respect others. I like the fact that we can talk about just about anything from trivia to science (sometimes both at once), I would hate for there to have to be forced structure like in some forums, but at the same time the ridiculous attention seeking crap that has been going on over this past week is beyond uncalled for. Since we have made it clear that it is unacceptable behavior and it has continued I have say it cannot be blamed on ignorance but is being done on purpose. I have made it clear that I am not against young people on this forum, Giardia and I have become great buddies on this thing and she is in the same age group, I never once cared about her age, we talked and had fun. Pollock and I are about the same age, we also get along and talk and have fun on this thing, we even come from somewhat different worlds with her being an english major in Texas and I being a Microbiology major in Iowa.

People have come and gone on this forum but throughout it all there has never been anything like what has gone on this week, the blatant disrespect for everyone on here. I have tried being nice, tried ignoring it, but it is getting to the point where something has to be done. TB has recently shown signs of getting this message, I am very pleased, I like the idea of having more people in our group, especially one that will join in and not just post a few times and drop out. Alex you have been getting worse (as of the last few threads I have read, I see you are on a few others so I am hoping that has changed since I started this reply), and you are the older of the two of you. So once again I am saying this to anyone that it may apply to: If you cannot and will not respect the other members of this forum leave. Anyone is welcome that shows respect, even TB and Alex, if you stop all the nonsense you are very much welcome here and I will be glad to have you both! If not then find other outlets, I am sure there are other forums that are more on your level or would capture your interests better, just do not ruin mine because it does not. Thanks

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:09 PM
people say that there is still room for an Avian Bird Flu pandeminic... it has already reached canada and i guss it will reach america by winter... from bird migration

kskerr
09-17-2006, 04:52 PM
I have not heard of them finding it in Canada, but they are looking for sure. Yes there is a possibility it will cause a pandemic and very likely that it could be spread by migrating birds, it is something to keep an eye on for sure. The samples they are collecting in Alaska (which is closest to Asia and where they come across) are being sent to Wisconsin as I recall, UW Madison. I am surprised they are not being sent to the gov't lab here that is the equivalent of the animal CDC, though who knows they might be sent here too.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:54 PM
oh, i thought it had gotten to the very very very top of canada...

kskerr
09-17-2006, 05:33 PM
oh, i thought it had gotten to the very very very top of canada...

Maybe, I have not heard of it but I do not hear everything. I think it would make the front page of AOL or the paper though and so far I have not seen it (I get the ISU daily for the puzzles but often glance the headlines).

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 05:49 PM
ahh!in the winter!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 05:50 PM
ooh,just so you knoww,im not microphobic or paronoid,just hate the thought of bird flu here!

kskerr
09-17-2006, 06:13 PM
ahh!in the winter!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Well that is when birds migrate... It is something to keep an eye on, so far that particular strain of the flu has not made the jump to infecting human to human, only goes bird to human and bird to bird. It can potentially make that jump though, that is how many of the deadly strains have come to be. That would be why so many birds have been slaughtered over there. Right now I would not be afraid, just cautious. They are also working on vaccines for it and will hopefully get a good one before a pandemic potentially starts. Yeah vaccines!

mazuac
09-17-2006, 06:23 PM
i beleive a pandamenic has already started... if i am correct a pandeminic is when a certain disease spreads ou to more than one country and or region... like the black death...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:32 PM
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :(

mazuac
09-17-2006, 06:34 PM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:23 PM
A pandemic is a break out of an infectious disease that is either over a very large region or worldwide. HIV is considered a pandemic. The bird flu I do not think it is at this point but it very well could become one.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 07:29 PM
oh, my bad... i thought a pandeminic was an outbreak of a certain disease from just one country. But then again, Most of asia has gotten some form of avian bird flu...

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:53 PM
I think it depends on the perspective since the definition is not totally specific, it is not like it is, "if it is X square miles it is a pandemic if it is less than X it is an epidemic". They are more terms to help describe the general magnitude of it. Throwing the word pandemic around might not be a good idea yet because so many are scared as is, should not cause more panic than is needed.

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 07:55 PM
that is not good.its coming!

kskerr
09-17-2006, 08:00 PM
that is not good.its coming!

It may never come, they do not know yet, so far it has not.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:13 PM
yes, and the entire WORLD, or close to it... well i know the USA is, working on a vaccine for the avian bird flu... which is very good!:)

kskerr
09-17-2006, 08:29 PM
Quite a few countries are working on a vaccine, the trouble from what I heard is normally the flu is grown in chicken eggs (you need a lot of the virus to make a vaccine) and this flu kills them without making enough virus making it difficult, but it sounds like they are well on their way to figuring it out, think there are several in testing already. Sometimes it can take 10 years or more to get a vaccine that works, though some new techniques can be in as little as 2-3 years, that is starting from scratch, flu has work done from before so hopefully will not take as long.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:31 PM
yeah... well, i just hope that we don't get bird flu...

kskerr
09-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Yes, I hope they contain and erradicate this strain (well getting rid of all flu would be great)!!!

Tuburculosis
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
other than the plushies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

mazuac
09-18-2006, 02:52 PM
yes, well, thats what we meant...