PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had any of these microbes infecting you?

Askor
02-27-2006, 06:31 AM
I did. The ulcer cell's scientific name is H. Pilori. The microbecan cause ulcers, but not very often.

Giardia
02-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I've had the common cold (well, everyone probably has), and I'm pretty sure I've had giardia, because I was swimming in a lake and awhile later, I was running to the bathroom. I won't get too detailed.:D

kskerr
03-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Well we all have E. coli, the nonpathogenic form, in our gut. Common cold, think I had the flu one year, strep, and pimple. And yes, H. pylori often just causes inflammation and does not always produce an ulcer.

Norby
05-04-2006, 08:16 PM
I once had a Flesh Eating Microbe,:eek: but it was a staph bacterium, not a strep. Nasty germ. Ate its way half way up both of my legs. Took a few months to clear up. I'd give a yuck factor of 8 out of 10.

kskerr
05-04-2006, 08:39 PM
Glad they were able to clear it, that is awful :eek:!!!

Giardia
05-04-2006, 11:12 PM
OMG! A flesh eating survivour!:eek:

kskerr
05-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Dude there are quite a few survivors of it, it is a nasty dangerous disease but not 100% death rate...

rayebs
05-09-2006, 02:27 PM
I had mono... Luckly it only REALLY affected me for one day. Only one day I was too tired to function.

kskerr
05-09-2006, 04:56 PM
My doc tested me for mono, though I was not sleepy, guess my syptoms matched more rare mono symptoms, and being a college student in a college town I guess mono is everywhere and they seemed to be testing everyone for it. I told him I didn't have it and the blood test proved me right, hah!

Giardia
05-28-2006, 02:15 PM
I've never had anything all that harrowing

kskerr
05-31-2006, 04:07 PM
That is a very good thing, don't want to have any of these bugs, even the mild ones :eek:!

Giardia
06-03-2006, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I'd rather not have flesh eating

kskerr
06-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Or plague...

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:33 AM
Or Ebola...

kskerr
06-04-2006, 10:47 PM
My Dad has yeast now since he started home brewing again :D

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:30 PM
yeast is friendly...most of the time;)

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:45 PM
Depends on the kind, there are a couple that can cause illness.

Pollock
06-06-2006, 12:56 AM
My Dad has yeast now since he started home brewing again :D

When I was in 3rd grade we lived in Saudi Arabia, and there is NO beer over there, so my dad decided it would be cool to make his own. So he got all the stuff, and then he bought a giant blue trash can. He set everything up and put the trash can on the counter, then realized he couldn't fit up there with it to syphon it all into the can to ferment. So he coaxed me up onto the counter and had me running the syphon hose on, basically, an illegal home brewing op.

Giardia
06-07-2006, 04:41 PM
aahhhhhhh!

Pollock
06-07-2006, 10:46 PM
Yeah, it was wacky, but apparently it was the cool thing to do in the complex we lived in. Make your own brew, and then swap it for a bottle of your friend's stuff.

kskerr
06-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Did it work? My dad has some success, some batches are better than others, he does it in 2.5 or 5 or so gal runs. I got him the little 2.5 gal tank and that got him back into the hobby, he uses it for experimental runs and the bucket setup for the larger runs that he is more sure of.

Pollock
06-09-2006, 01:30 AM
Yeah, for the most part it worked.

I had another friend who made her own wine. It turned out bad because she let it sit too long and ended up with red wine vinegar.

kskerr
06-09-2006, 09:15 AM
I prefer red wine vinegar to wine myself, don't really like wine, though I have a friend who was taking that as a challenge to find one I like.

Giardia
06-18-2006, 08:48 PM
i like balsamic vinegar best.

kskerr
06-19-2006, 03:19 AM
I generally go with the red wine vinegar, my grandma introed me to it, she put it and some oil on fresh garden tomatoes, I almost died it was so good! I can't replicate it either, she is the only one that can make it that way, wish she still could!

Giardia
06-20-2006, 10:59 PM
bleck, i hate tomatoes!

kskerr
06-21-2006, 02:38 AM
Even fresh garden tomatoes :eek:?!? Tomatoes are one of the yummiest things ever, especially garden tomatoes, mmmm, can't wait for mine to ripen :D!

Giardia
07-02-2006, 11:52 AM
we tried to grow tomatoes...all we got was a rat infestation:rolleyes:

kskerr
07-05-2006, 02:56 AM
Eww, we never got rats because of them! I like store tomatoes but nothing beats a home grown, they should have two different names they are so different!

Giardia
07-05-2006, 06:01 PM
we had a family of rats on our deck last summer...the baby rats were so cute! we caught one sunning itself once...figured they weren't doing any harm, so we let them stay until the moved...

kskerr
07-06-2006, 04:12 PM
My sister had two pet rats a while ago, they died, I did not like them.

Giardia
07-18-2006, 09:10 PM
i love rats! as long as they are not diseased and bite me...

kskerr
07-19-2006, 02:47 AM
Hers pooped and or peed on me, that is unacceptable behavior, I am very particular about how animals are to behave and excreting waste is way high on the list of don't! Licking, biting, jumping on, getting in my face/touching my face, stinking, scratching, drooling, being loud, and shedding, also are all bad bahaviors that if done or done too much will earn my dislike, there could be more that I can't think of at the moment. I like fish, they do none of those things, well I suppose if I am very negligant they can die and stink. I also do not like the idea of picking up feces, I think dog owners that do not and it is in someone's yard or on public land they should be banned from owning dogs, especially in a neighborhood like mine where there are a ton of kids running around, some barefoot...

Giardia
07-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I used to have a guinea pig...they're very social and clean animals...we used to let her run aroud the kitchen floor, although she peed afew times...her name was sunny, but we called her piggus mouse-us, which was shortened to piggus, or pig-mouse, and we loved her very much...one spring, we left her with some friends and went to hawaii, and these friends left her in a hot room with no window open, and she seemed sick when we got back, so we brought her to the vet, where she was diagnosed with guinea-pig pneumonia. she died about a week later, at the age of four.

kskerr
07-29-2006, 03:39 AM
Poor Piggus, sounds like she had a good life with you at least!

Giardia
07-30-2006, 11:52 PM
we fed her only the finest organic romane lettuce

kskerr
08-04-2006, 12:54 AM
You are starting to sound like my sister with her rabbits, though she feeds them weeds from what used to be my gardens before I moved to Ioway. She is obsessed with rabbit nutrition and such, very annoying.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:33 PM
lol, funny... rabbit nutrition:)

kskerr
09-17-2006, 05:30 PM
lol, funny... rabbit nutrition:)

Not funny when you have to listen to her lecture on about it, she is youngest and so should not be lecturing, especially about something I do not care to know about :rolleyes:...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 05:36 PM
now,rabbit nutrition is very important.grass,lettuce and cabbage are healthy,yummy food in every heallthy rabbits diet.ahem.now,lets all say the pledge of rabbits,...

kskerr
09-17-2006, 06:07 PM
now,rabbit nutrition is very important.grass,lettuce and cabbage are healthy,yummy food in every heallthy rabbits diet.ahem.now,lets all say the pledge of rabbits,...

Actually there are many lettuces that they are not supposed to eat, but don't ask me for specifics because I tuned her out after that part...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:08 PM
oh. eeeeeeeeeeeeee

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 10:43 PM
Actually there are many lettuces that they are not supposed to eat, but don't ask me for specifics because I tuned her out after that part...

Really? That's really interesting! It's sort of like how cats arent supposed to eat rasins and dogs aren't supposed to eat chocolate.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 12:54 PM
No, no it is not interesting, it lasts forever and is droned on in an uppity know-it-all voice that implies anyone that would suggest you feed her precious rodents, which are not rodents they are lagomorphs (or something like that), something normal people consider to be rabbit food you are a complete moron... You see everyone should just KNOW what you are supposed to feed them, it is so important to the human race to know all about rabbit nutrition, digestion, and metabolism that anyone now knowing all this could very well bring about the destruction of our entire society. Oh and the best source of information on this are crap pots, er I mean experts, on the internet! Jokes about eating rabbits are appartently not funny either. The things you learn when your sister goes psychotic obsessed with stupid rodents, oh and one is so stupid that it ate a phonebook and clogged up its gut, she spent like $250 to get it treated and almost had to have it get a $300-500 surgical procedure (and I think she would have too), I generally call that natural selection myself... It is a male rabbit, more proof of my theory that the Y chromosome is defective... Siblings :rolleyes:!

kskerr
09-18-2006, 12:55 PM
Really? That's really interesting! It's sort of like how cats arent supposed to eat rasins and dogs aren't supposed to eat chocolate.

OK why aren't cats supposed to eat raisins?

Pollock II
09-18-2006, 01:26 PM
Something about not being able to digest them, or it harming their digestive tract.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 01:43 PM
I'll have to keep that in mind...

mazuac
09-18-2006, 03:05 PM
i don't have a cat:) my daddy is alergic to them:)

Pollock II
09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
I'm allergic to penicillin. I found out the other day that the mold in bleu cheese is the same mold they use for penicillin, which is why I got incredibly sick one times after eating bleu cheese...

mazuac
09-18-2006, 03:11 PM
1st of all... you eat blue cheese???!?!?!?! and yes, most mold contains form of penicillin...

Pollock II
09-18-2006, 06:12 PM
I tried it, and I got sick.

Secondly, Penicillin is made from a specific kind of mold found on bread and apparently bleu cheese.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I'm allergic to penicillin. I found out the other day that the mold in bleu cheese is the same mold they use for penicillin, which is why I got incredibly sick one times after eating bleu cheese...

Penecillium roqueforti is the causative agent of blue cheese. It is a cousin of the one used to make penecillin but I do not believe it technically used for anything but blue cheese production. Also suggest you stay away from camembert (Penecilluim camemberti for that one), brie is also generally made Penecillium (either P. candidum or P. camemberti most commonly). Not sure if all members of the Penecillium genus make penecillin or not, think they do, some more than others most likely.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 07:03 PM
1st of all... you eat blue cheese???!?!?!?! and yes, most mold contains form of penicillin...

Nope, most molds do not make penecillin, generally ones in the Penecillium family do. It is true that antibiotics come from molds (fungi) or bacteria, but not all make them (most do not).

Pollock II
09-18-2006, 07:10 PM
Penecillium roqueforti is the causative agent of blue cheese. It is a cousin of the one used to make penecillin but I do not believe it technically used for anything but blue cheese production. Also suggest you stay away from camembert (Penecilluim camemberti for that one), brie is also generally made Penecillium (either P. candidum or P. camemberti most commonly). Not sure if all members of the Penecillium genus make penecillin or not, think they do, some more than others most likely.

I don't like camembert, and I only eat brie warm and very little of it at that.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
I don't like camembert, and I only eat brie warm and very little of it at that.

Not much for them myself, think brie is the one of the two I'll eat but I can't remember for sure, generally do not eat that stuff...

Tuburculosis
09-19-2006, 03:56 PM
brie!thats goat chesse,right?my mom loves that.

kskerr
09-19-2006, 04:40 PM
I am not certain that it has to be made from goat's milk, think it is more of how they make it that makes it brie and that it can be from cow milk. It is considered pretty fancy usually.

Pollock II
09-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Brie is not goat cheese. Feta is though. :)

mazuac
09-19-2006, 05:31 PM
my grandma's friend had a disorder and she couldn't eat anything with suger or naything... she also had to eat moldy bread, b/c it was penicillin... it was something like HIV but it wasn't HIV...

Pollock II
09-19-2006, 06:02 PM
Sounds like diabetes.

My grandpa likes to put stale popcorn in a glass of milk and eat it like cereal. He also eats cheese mold. I think it has to do with him growing up around the Great Depression.

mazuac
09-19-2006, 06:26 PM
no, it wan't diabetes... i know that... it was like AIDS

kskerr
09-19-2006, 10:33 PM
my grandma's friend had a disorder and she couldn't eat anything with suger or naything... she also had to eat moldy bread, b/c it was penicillin... it was something like HIV but it wasn't HIV...

I also think it sounds like diabetes (the not being able to eat foods containing sugar), I am unaware of anything that requires one to eat moldy bread though, even if it did contain penecillin (even penecillin producers do not make it all the time), if a patient needs penecillin they would have them take pills with a known amount in it, using moldy bread would give an unknown dose. Likely one of those stories parents tell children to freak them out...

Pollock II
09-19-2006, 11:53 PM
no, it wan't diabetes... i know that... it was like AIDS

AIDS is the last stage of HIV...

Penicillin comes in pink pill form. They're big and gross and they gave me rashes before I realized I was allergic to them. Now I have to keep a card in my wallet that says I'm allergic to penicillin, just in case of an emergency.

kskerr
09-20-2006, 01:01 AM
There are other immune disorders not caused by HIV, too many and I did not really learn many and it was two years ago that I took immunology. None of them have moldy bread as a treatment though ;). Only disorders I know of that involve not eating sugar is diabetes and the atkins diet...

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:08 AM
i hope the giant micrpobes comes out with penacillan!then it could join athlettes foot in a fungus section!;) :D :D :D

kskerr
09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
That would be a great organism to have join the family. That genus has a bunch of different species that range from food spoilers (bread and fruit especially) to food producers (the cheeses).

mazuac
09-20-2006, 06:27 PM
well, my grandma is in her late 60's soo, yeah, umm.... happened a LONG time ago... and yes, penicillan would be great!

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:47 PM
yes!ill post a pic of somthing im working on as soon as i figure out how to post pics from my computer.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:31 PM
okay, i can't wait to see it~!

ultra T4
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
i usually get strep common cold stomach ache or flu (strep hurts me)

kitty*cat
01-22-2009, 08:25 PM
They have Penicillin as a GIANTmicrobe.

ultra T4
02-02-2009, 01:27 PM
i have the common cold right now

ultra T4
02-12-2009, 05:57 PM
well my cold is over and i am ok now

myco monster
09-22-2009, 08:38 PM
MRSA!!!!!:eek: dont worry it wasnt that bad for me:). all it was was a raw spot of skin that tested positive. that was 10 years ago. no worrys:).

giardia_2
09-26-2009, 07:34 PM
A girl at my school has had both staph and mrsa. She had staph like a week ago and mrsa last year. Someone stabbed her with a pencil and it got infected and one thing led to another and then she was in a sling and couldn't move her arm. But she's fine now.:)

myco monster
09-28-2009, 10:51 AM
also because i am benzoil peroxide sensitive i had a tough time killing pimple but i did in the end:). speaking of mrsa, how much are gigantics with tax and shipping? id relly like gigantic mrsa and yeast.

giardia_2
10-19-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't know how much with tax and shipping but alone they are $25 which I think is a pretty good deal.

Also I have a super bad common cold. I was so exhausted on Saturday that I actually got 12 hours of sleep.

myco monster
10-25-2009, 04:07 PM
here is the semi complete list of diseases i have had. i have had a staph blood infection, a coynebacterium blood infection(they dont have a microbe of it so i made 2 of my own, one normal one 38 inches long) cold, strep, athletes foot, pimple, possibly toxoplasmosis, mrsa, and one more of the menageries. it isnt rabies so try to guess the one(its the miteiest disease i have ever had.)