PDA

View Full Version : GIANT microbes?

Mango
02-03-2006, 02:39 PM
What about one that could be used as a pillow?

kskerr
02-07-2006, 09:10 PM
That would be so cool! How about microbes bedding and decorations? A microbes room would be so geeky cool :D!

Efogoto
02-12-2006, 03:34 PM
I want the Common Cold plushy chair when it's available.

kskerr
02-23-2006, 11:04 PM
The plushy chair would be very cool :cool:.

Giardia
02-25-2006, 09:36 PM
How about super Giant microbes? Ones that are a billion times the actual size??? I'd like to see giardia like that. One heck of a bowl ache!

kskerr
03-04-2006, 04:50 PM
As I calculated in another thread the bacterial giantmicrobes are not actually 1,000,000 times and if they were they would be at least a meter long depending on the size of the organism in question potentially in the 5 meter range and up, if they were a billion times then they would be measured in hundreds of meters... It may seem difficult to understand, and it would be if you do not know about exponentials yet, basically it starts as a microscopic speck one millionth of a meter long, multiply by 1000 and you can easily see it (though it is small), multiply it by another and it is a meter long :eek:.

Giardia
03-05-2006, 12:28 AM
wow. how 'bout actually one million times actual size then? That would be a big hug of a microbe!

kskerr
03-26-2006, 01:24 AM
It would be really cool. My sister says I am a total geek for doing the math.

tpcn008211
03-26-2006, 09:08 AM
That would be cool, we would be attacked by huge microbes and I would be squished in my room with no escape :)

kskerr
03-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Some of the bugs would be really huge if they were a whole 1,000,000 times actual size, I did my estimates based on a rather small bacteria size, some would be several meters long... It would be rather cool all the same, giant giantmicrobes :D!!!

Giardia
04-03-2006, 11:26 PM
They should have Giant Microbe wall paper:eek: .

kskerr
04-04-2006, 08:15 PM
That would be cool, kinda like my home office except I have the microbes themselves on the wall not pics of them. I would totally make a microbes room complete with wall paper and such if I had a house!

Giardia
04-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Hmmm...Giant microbes bedspread, giant microbes pillow cases...lampshades...clothing line...curtains...the list goes on and on!:D

kskerr
04-06-2006, 09:35 PM
We should stop this, they might actually make some of this stuff and I'll end up bankrupt ;)!

Giardia
04-06-2006, 09:35 PM
Scary thought:eek:

Pollock
06-02-2006, 11:54 PM
I think bedding is a great idea! Especially if it's available in bed bug print... :)

kskerr
06-03-2006, 12:50 AM
Great idea, you are totally one of us, I have diagnosed you as having the giantmicrobes disease :p!

Pollock
06-03-2006, 12:53 AM
It's the best disease to have! :)

A friend of mine also suggested backpacks, and I'd like to see slippers. Athelete's Foot Slippers! :D

kskerr
06-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Athlete's foot slippers would be highly amusing!!! Back pack would be cool, perhaps I would actually replace my current one that I've had since Jr High (I'm a grad student now...). I want tee-shirts or a hoodie, I got the hat but there are no shirts!

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:03 AM
Shirts would be nice. Maybe stickers and patches as well.

I love thinking of ideas like this, and I can picture a million things I would love to see them make.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Me too, and Giardia, we are all nuts and will be very very broke if they read this thread and get ideas :eek: :D!

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:07 AM
If bank accounts could talk, mine would be screaming "Shut up and protect me!"

kskerr
06-03-2006, 01:10 AM
Mine just cries and whimpers...

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Another great idea, especially in the educational spectrum, would be to perhaps have some short videos made. Either in cartoon form, or perhaps microbe puppets.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 01:20 AM
I'd worry that it would make kids more microphobic than necessary, too many people are going nuts these days.

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:21 AM
You do have a point there.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 01:39 AM
I work with probiotics, they are the coolest ever :D!!!

Pollock
06-03-2006, 01:43 AM
Sciences have never really been my strong point, but I have to take a Human Biology course next semester as a requirement for my major, and I'm really looking forward to telling my class about Giantmicrobes.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
What is your major? My sister the art major took botany for her req, I told her to take micro so I could help her but she went with the plants :rolleyes:.

Pollock
06-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I'm an English major, psychology minor. And I'm working for my teaching certificate. They require me to take 8 hours of a science; 3 credits for my lecture class, one credit for my lab. Human Bio will finish off my credits.

I have a friend up at school who is double majoring in Botany and some kind of art. I can't remember just off the top of my head. She wants to be a lanscape designer.

kskerr
06-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Interesting how diverse the people that love the giantmicrobes are, not just micro geeks like myself and all :D. What age group do you plan to teach?

Pollock
06-03-2006, 03:00 PM
I'm getting my secondary education certification, so it'll be high school English. I prefer literature lessons over grammar adn vocabulary lessons.

Giardia
06-03-2006, 05:47 PM
I have all the microbes now, as of today! I've been showing each batch in science class, and now that I'm doing the last batch of the year sometime soon, I'm making a quiz for my class. Highest score wins a microbe!

kskerr
06-03-2006, 11:51 PM
Congrats!!!! Now you can be satisfied like me... until the next batch comes out :D!

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Problem is, My bank account used to have 300 canadian. Now, it has 7 dollars. If it were a person, it would be curled up in the fetal postition, rocking back and fourth wimpering to itself.

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
How do Canadian $ compare to US? Mine will do that after I pay my latest ISU bill, they didn't take out last month's rent so it is on this months bill, plus I have semester fees on top of it, almost my entire month's pay will go right back to them :mad:!

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:15 PM
ouchies:D :p

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:23 PM
Yeah, and I just paid my mom back the 500 she loaned me when my car broke, that was when I thought they took out my rent like they were supposed to, stupid auto pay system! Oh well they only have half the rent listed for this month, perhaps they think I have a roommate or something...

Giardia
06-04-2006, 11:32 PM
back on topic, did you see the pic of the giant stomach ache in the photo sharing?

kskerr
06-04-2006, 11:47 PM
No, I'll have to look...

Pollock
06-06-2006, 12:58 AM
back on topic, did you see the pic of the giant stomach ache in the photo sharing?

Yes! Someone's grandmother made it! At first I thougt "Where did they get that!?" but then I saw the caption.

Someone has an awesome grandma!

Giardia
06-07-2006, 04:39 PM
wasn't it their mother?

kskerr
06-08-2006, 11:39 PM
When I am less broke perhaps I will venture into Hobby Lobby and come out with fixings for some giantmicrobe macros to go along with my giantmicrobes minis :D!!!! I avoid Hobby Lobby generally since it is so easy for me to spend all my money there! Pretty sure it was the kid's grandma, awesome grandma! Maybe one of these days I'll get a sewing machine too, that would be cool...

Giardia
06-20-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't think we have hobby lobby in canada...at least, not in my province!

kskerr
06-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Hobby Lobby is a magical place of beauty and wonder as far as the eye can see... It is a craft/hobby chain, not sure where it started, they somewhat recently put one in my hometown and I fell in love with them, Michaels is the other big one in my region, though I don't recall seeing one in Ioway, they are in the Chicagoland area for sure, been around forever. Hobby Lobbies tend to be bigger and have a ton of awesome stuff, their prices are not too bad and they have 1/2 off sales somewhat regularly (over the years I have literally saved hundreds of dollars because of them... potentially approaching 1000!). I was so pleased when I visited Ioway for the first time and they were taking us somewhere in town and I saw there was one here!

Giardia
06-21-2006, 08:10 PM
We have Michaels here! I LOVE that store! Although, i have to be careful when going there...lots of ideas pop into my head on how to spend money!

kskerr
06-23-2006, 01:10 AM
I think Hobby Lobby is a little better than Michael's, mostly because of the sales and the Hobby Lobbies tend to be bigger and therefore have more cool things for me to want to buy...

Giardia
07-02-2006, 11:43 AM
I wish we had a hobby lobby...it sounds good!

kskerr
07-05-2006, 12:27 AM
A reason to come south and visit the states ;). That would be so funny, traveling all the way down here just to visit a craft store... Not sure where all they are, lots are popping up in the Chicagoland area, so you could use seeing the sears tower and eating real pizza as an excuse from coming... Then there is at least the one in Ioway, not sure why anyone would come to Ioway though, they are in Indiana too. I adore Indiana but that is because I have family there, not sure what they have to offer a tourist except Indy Speedway if you like car racing (boring).

Giardia
07-31-2006, 10:55 AM
I hate car racing...the only places we usually visit in the states are Colorado (family) wisconsin (family) and we went to Hawaii once and Seattle twice, but we won't go back to hawaii for awhile because it's expensive, and no family lives there...same with California...

kskerr
08-04-2006, 01:10 AM
I have family in IL, IN, MI, FL, OH, IA, GA and likely others I can't remember or don't know about, I usually visit IN and FL but recently went to MI. Hawaii sounds beatiful, though I'd like to visit New Zealand more I think.

Giardia
08-07-2006, 10:32 PM
in new zealand in a museum, there is an exibit of a prehistoric bird...it's enormous! it looks like an enormous ostrich!

kskerr
08-08-2006, 02:53 AM
That sounds very cool! I just want to tool around that whole country, I heard it was kinda a condensed version of the US, all the geography smished into a smaller area so you can see it all in less time, sounds rather nifty! I have seen lots off pics of NZ, it looks so pretty!!! Toying with the idea of trying to find an internship there or in Aussie after I get my degree, then I could get paid to be there and have plenty of time to tour around the area, would be hard to be so far from home/family/friends for so long though.

Giardia
08-11-2006, 01:16 PM
still, it would be really cool

kskerr
08-13-2006, 01:59 AM
It would, especially if they could come visit me!

Giardia
08-13-2006, 11:30 AM
They would probably all be jealous of you!

kskerr
08-13-2006, 09:42 PM
Yes some of them likely would be, others would be jealous of New Zealand for "taking" me...

Giardia
09-10-2006, 11:03 AM
you can't blame a land mass...

kskerr
09-10-2006, 02:41 PM
A very cool land mass :D!!! It is highly unlikely that I will ever do anything but vacation there though, I definately plan to do that someday no matter what!

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:01 PM
in my class there is a girl form there,shes on vacation:eek:

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:40 PM
i think opium is bad

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 03:21 PM
wat is bad?:confused:

mazuac
09-14-2006, 04:14 PM
opium, it's a drug.... it is bad

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
alot of drugs are bad

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 06:06 PM
Opium comes from poppy flowers. Lots of people back in the day (like waaaaay back in the day) were addicted to opium, including famous poet Edgar Allen Poe.

In the movie Wizard of Oz, the Wicked Witch of the West puts Dorthy and her friends to sleep in a field of poppies. Why do the make her sleep? OPIUM!

Yes, most narcotics and illegal substance like cocaine, opium, methamphetamines, marajuana are bad for you. Terribly bad. I have no tolerance for people who use/abuse these drugs.

On the other hand, pharmeseuticals such as over the counter or prescription drugs can be good. For example penicillin (even though I'm incredibly allergic) is incredibly helpful to those who can take it. What about sleeping medications and antibiotics and certain decongestants? Yes, they're basically drugs too. In fact, sometimes pharmacists are called drugists.

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:29 PM
cocane!yuck!and that m one,

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Coca Cola used to be made with cocaine in it. Seriously.

And cocaine used to be advertised as a pharmesutical, as did marajuana. Of course back in the day, when your infant was teething you'd rub brandy on their gums...

kskerr
09-14-2006, 10:53 PM
Morphine is an opium derivative, I enjoyed that when I had my appendix out, kept me from feeling like I just had part of my gut removed... I'm all about regulation of drugs, both pharm and non-pharm! Pot should stay illegal. Be nice if tobacco were illegal, stinks up the place!

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:43 AM
I agree...things that will slowly kill a person and bother the people around the addict (namely, cigarettes) should be illegal.

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:56 AM
Funny you say that. I'm actually having a problem at school with the girl next door smoking in the bathroom she and I (and my roomie) share. She has no roommate because she shelled out $600 for a private room.

Smoking is illegal in ALL of the dorms here, and we've had to call someone on her twice now for smoking. :mad:

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 02:00 AM
Morphine is an opium derivative, I enjoyed that when I had my appendix out, kept me from feeling like I just had part of my gut removed... I'm all about regulation of drugs, both pharm and non-pharm! Pot should stay illegal. Be nice if tobacco were illegal, stinks up the place!

Hooray for vicodin! I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled 2 days before Christmas in 2003, and they pumped me full of drugs to keep me from feeling like someone was taking a crowbar to my jaws every 6 seconds.

The Christmas before that I had both of my feet operated on and I had vicodin for that too, and at one point I took a single dose (one pill) and I got sleepy and I forgot what time it was, thought I hadn't taken my vicodin yet, and I took another one! Oh man!! I was just sitting there like a vegetable staring at my bandaged feet and I could swear they were talking to me.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Hooray for vicodin! I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled 2 days before Christmas in 2003, and they pumped me full of drugs to keep me from feeling like someone was taking a crowbar to my jaws every 6 seconds.

The Christmas before that I had both of my feet operated on and I had vicodin for that too, and at one point I took a single dose (one pill) and I got sleepy and I forgot what time it was, thought I hadn't taken my vicodin yet, and I took another one! Oh man!! I was just sitting there like a vegetable staring at my bandaged feet and I could swear they were talking to me.

Lol, glad that was not a total overdose! I was thrown in the kiddy ward since the adult wing was full so my room had puppies and kittens on the boarder, I just stared at them when I was awake (usually I fell asleep when the nurse put it in my IV). The elderly lady in the next room was either senile or was on something better than they had me on, she kept insisting she was in the wrong hospital saying she should be in the one we were in, the nurse spent a good 15 minuts or more trying to convince her she was there and think they finally gave her some more drugs so she would relax (she was quite upset and kept pulling out her catheter). So my hospital and the one a couple towns over were in the same group and used the same laundry service and so their clothing and linens were mixed up and I happen to have a gown that had the other name on it. So when the nurse came in to check on me I put on my best innocent concerned face and said I was supposed to be in the LaGrange hospital. The look of panic on that nurse's face was priceless, it was that "oh crap its contagious" look, she then got slightly suspicious and informed me I was in LaGrange, so I responded with "no look" and showed the other name on my gown, then I cracked up and she thought it was hilarious but just in case gave me some morphine :p!

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 02:05 PM
Classic! Always good to freak out a lady with a hypodermic syringe full of morphine!

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 03:23 PM
marajuana.thats that m one.coca cola used cocane?!:eek:

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Yep, where do you think they got the name? Granted it was very small amounts, but yes, they did use it because back then no one knew it was bad for you.

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 05:52 PM
:eek: :eek: wow...:eek: :eek: i didnt know.wow

kskerr
09-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Then they found out it was bad but at first the government let them keep it as I recall since it was what made their product "unique", they worked their butts off to find a new addictive ingrediant (that is why they used the cocaine in the first place, to get people addicted to their soda), they found caffeine which was even better as I recall and it was actually a company secret for a number of years until somehow it got out and they all started using it. Caffeine can actually be dangerous, though there are conflicting studies where some show it having health benefits, think it is a matter of dose, small dose could be healthy but massive doses can and will kill you...

kskerr
09-15-2006, 08:48 PM
Classic! Always good to freak out a lady with a hypodermic syringe full of morphine!

Yes, and get more morphine to shut me up, time for nighty night, here's your shot... If it weren't for my IV I would have been a total pin cushion by the end of that one, people would have thought I was a junky with all the track marks...

mazuac
09-15-2006, 09:17 PM
whats morphine? :)

kskerr
09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
It is a rather strong pain killer, it has some dangerous side effects and can be addictive if taking a certain amount and for an extended period, I was on it a couple days after surgery with no ill effects. Some use it as a drug, it is a highly controlled substance.

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 08:12 AM
ok,and you and pollock will say thats wat you learn in college...

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Then they found out it was bad but at first the government let them keep it as I recall since it was what made their product "unique", they worked their butts off to find a new addictive ingrediant (that is why they used the cocaine in the first place, to get people addicted to their soda), they found caffeine which was even better as I recall and it was actually a company secret for a number of years until somehow it got out and they all started using it. Caffeine can actually be dangerous, though there are conflicting studies where some show it having health benefits, think it is a matter of dose, small dose could be healthy but massive doses can and will kill you...

Coke, or soda? ;)

I dunno, I'm a root beet kid, hands down.

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 11:50 AM
ginger ale.and root beer/birch beer.

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 12:11 PM
I once got ginger beer. It's not Ginger Ale. Ginger ale is tame compared to ginger beer. It's like bitting into an actual ginger root, only it's carbonated.

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:18 PM
wow.sounds great!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 03:06 PM
Coke, or soda? ;)

I dunno, I'm a root beet kid, hands down.

I used to like Mr. Pibb before they spiked it with more caffeine and turned it into Pibb extra, now it is root beer for me too.

kskerr
09-16-2006, 03:07 PM
ok,and you and pollock will say thats wat you learn in college...

Actually I learned about coke's history when I was a kid, probably about your age, my grandpa liked to tell me stuff. I learned about pain killers more in high school and on my own, not really in college.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:18 PM
i like root beer in a beer can... YUM!

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
yes.root beer is good:)

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:20 PM
root beer is my favorite kind of cokeo, pop, etc...