PDA

View Full Version : Why the cold?

Shark's Protein
01-27-2006, 04:39 PM
Why is the soap dispenser modeled after the cold? Soap can't kill viruses, just bacteria!

297hakr
01-29-2006, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty sure regular soap is strong enough to kill a lot of viruses including Rhinoviruses.

Shark's Protein
01-30-2006, 03:35 PM
You don't understand- You can't kill any viruses! Do you know why there's no cure for cancer, the flu, AIDS, or the common cold?

297hakr
01-30-2006, 08:55 PM
Actually, they're pretty easy to kill when they're not in a living person.

Shark's Protein
02-01-2006, 04:13 PM
True, but if you were washing them on your hands, wouldn't they already be on/in you?

297hakr
02-01-2006, 07:56 PM
True, if you were already sick, washing your hands wouldn't do you much good.

If you are trying not to become sick, though, washing your hands would probably kill the viruses exposed to the soap.

kskerr
02-07-2006, 09:54 PM
The water does most of the work in hand washing, soap helps of course, especially for the stuck on stuff and it also makes you keep your hands in the water longer. The goal of handwashing is not necessarily to kill the viruses or whatever but to wash them off, I don't care if there is a live rhinivirus in the bottom of the pipe as long as it is not on the hand that is about to put food in my mouth :)! 297hakr is right, it is easy to kill the virus outside of the body, same with bacteria and other microbes, the challenge is when they are inside, many things that can kill them can make us sick or kill us too (think of bleach, or cooking) :eek:.

kskerr
02-09-2006, 03:14 AM
One reason I think it is modeled after the common cold is that it is essentially a public service announcement, the best way to prevent the spread of the cold and other nasties is to wash hands, especially after blowing your nose or sneezing. I got a nasty cold that I got while home for the holidays and when I came back here was very careful, frequent handwashes and such, and no one here got it, so it works!

Giardia
02-26-2006, 09:08 PM
My brother washes his hands so much that his skin is really dry all the time, and he's gotten one cold in the last year!:D

kskerr
03-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Tell your brother to put on some lotion or something, having dried cracked skin is an open invitation to pathogens. The skin is very good at keeping the bad things out as long as it is intact.

GERMan
04-02-2006, 09:15 AM
Actually, I think it's only a practical calculation. I mean, the Strep plush would be like a ball, so it would not stand up but fall as a dispenser. The Rhinovirus plush is the only one in my collection (Rhinovirus, Flu, Sore Throat, Sleeping Sickness, Yeast) that even stands up on a cushion, on the other hand.

Giardia
04-13-2006, 07:10 PM
He does put on lotion, but if he doesn't, his skin is dry

Giardia
04-16-2006, 04:07 PM
Handwashing helps prevent viral infections. When you have the cold germ on your hand, and touch your nose, you're infected, right? Washing the microbes before they can enter your body stops infection. It even says so on the plushie tag for The Common Cold.:D :D :D

kskerr
04-17-2006, 01:20 AM
Yes you can catch the virus by getting it on your hand and touching your nose or mouth. Not as fun as fecal oral but gets the job done.

If they wanted to they could have made it after another bug but just given it a base or flat bottom.

Lotion is my cure for pretty much everything, I have bottles in practically every room of the apartment.

Crazy4Microbes
04-18-2006, 07:48 AM
I actually have the soap dispenser. My 6-year old brother ordered it(who knew???) and it works pretty well. I am moving so we are going to put it in our new bathroom but for now it just stays in the closet looking at us.

Giardia
04-18-2006, 10:47 PM
The soap dispencer is a cute and fun way to remind people of the risk of catching germs if you don't wash your hands. Our bathroom is blue, so It would look quite nice in there. I'm considering a GIANT Microbes hat for myself, too!

kskerr
04-19-2006, 02:46 AM
I already have a soap dispenser that matches everything in the bathroom (fish mosaic theme, I am also a fish keeper), I am thinking about putting the cold one in the kitchen, doesn't match but that is fine, don't mind it "popping" out :D!

Giardia
07-31-2006, 11:16 PM
it makes a great conversational peice, i imagine:D

kskerr
08-07-2006, 02:24 AM
It is so cute. I still have it in my office in the box, I might never use it :rolleyes:.

smith02
05-04-2007, 07:28 AM
Our daily soap just not a good cleaner of viruses, it can remove only dust from your body and quiet a bit of jerm . When you were alresdy sick, washing your hands may not too good to cure you, but it can prevent you from other jerms.
:rolleyes:

kskerr
05-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Regular soap works fine for washing viruses and bacteria and such (germs) off one's hands along with the dirt. When you are sick it will not make you get better faster but it will help you to not spread the sickness to others, that is the whole point of being told to wash your hands regularly when sick. If you are not sick it can help you not to get sick, especially if you are interacting with sick people.

mazuac
05-31-2007, 06:14 PM
I agree with ya' there!

sceptor
09-11-2007, 10:37 PM
Dont question it, just love it.

mazuac
11-03-2007, 11:08 PM
I find eating food very yummy... Um... yeah...?