PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know you...

Pollock II
09-27-2006, 12:24 PM
I know we have a welcome section, but we need an introduction thread in the most frequently visited part of the board too.

Here, new users, and old, can get to know a little bit about each other. I'll go first:

Name: Stephanie (but I don't mind being called Pollock).

Username origin: I chose the name Pollock II because the abstract painter Jackson Pollock is my favorite artist. The "II" is there because I screwed up my first account on here (Pollock) because I'm scatter-brained.

Occupation: I'm a student in college. Yes, it's a full time job, people. I am majoring in English with a secondary education certification, and I'm minoring in psychology.

Hobbies: In my free time (which I don't get much of), I love to knit! I enjoy making hats, scarves, and purses for my friends and family. I've even sold a few. I also enjoy reading, listening to music, and watching movies (especially ones with subtitles). Currently, I'm reading Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut for fun. For class, I'm reading Richard II by WIlliam Shakespeare.

Feel free to include whatever you want about yourself. I put my name, but I understand that some of you may not be comfortable sharing yours and that's OK too.

kskerr
09-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Name: Karen

Occupation: Graduate Research Assistant and grad student. Grad school, at least in the sciences, generally has both a student and employee aspect, I am paid to do research, some of which will help earn my degree. Grad students often become teaching assistants (TAs) as well, I am going to at some point because it is required of my "home department" (I am a microbiology major in the food science dept), though it is not required of my program. I will not be paid to do it which is somewhat unusual, it is a weird department thing. I wanted to do one anyway since I might want to go into teaching (college level) and so it would be highly valuable experience. Right now I am working with probiotics, which I want to focus my career on, I absolutely adore them.

Hobbies: In my time I should be working but am not (grad students do not really have this thing you call "free time" ;) at least not during the school year), I love to read, garden, go visit my family, photography (total amateur), play on the computer (sadly my main "social life" since moving to Iowa), cross-stitch, and crochet. Recently I am getting back into computer art a little, mostly photomanipulation. Generally I have only one or two of those going at once, like right now it is computer and photography/art. During the semester I rarely read outside of class/work since I like to read a book front to back in one day and I do not have whole days to do such things in so I wait until break or summer to read. Wanted to learn to knit but it looked too complicated and keeping track of one hook is hard enough, two needles would likely be impossible ;)!

Crazy4Microbes
09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Name April

Hobbies anything really

other stuff I am a microbe fanatic!!!

Gadolin
09-28-2006, 07:50 PM
Name: Alex

Hobbies:Reading, origami

Tuburculosis
09-28-2006, 08:21 PM
Hobbies:Reading, origami
i like both those.

Tuburculosis
10-03-2006, 02:35 PM
umm,lets see,
collections i kn ow this is a hobbie,butits so large i will give it its own:rolleyes: !anyways,they are:dice,bottons,giantmicrobes,stones,pens,baby bookes,ect...

age10

Efogoto
10-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Name: Andy.

Username origin: foot within ego ... I am a leg end in my own mind.

Hobbies: Computer geekiness, black humor, good friends, softball, bowling, symphony, opera (the latter two as audience).

mazuac
10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
name- Alex
Gender- Male
Name Origin- my fav. video game charector Mizuti, just ttly mixed up:)
occupation- Alive/ middle school student
hobbies- talking to my penpals in israel and egypt, callecting dogs & giant micorbes, writing stories and talking:)

Giardia
11-15-2006, 11:46 PM
Name: Joy

Username Origin: My favourite microbe! (I KNOW KSKERR, I SPELL FAVOURITE LIKE A BRIT)

Hobbies: Collecting Microbes, Weird Al CDs, and Ghost Stories.

Intrests: Horseback Riding, Animal Medicine, Human Biology, Microbiology, Paranormal (ghosts, all that alien junk is a load of hogwash), Comedy Music, Sleeping, Eating, Pathfinders (a branch of Girl Guides, which you Americans call Girl Scouts), volunteering with Sparks as a Pathfinder (Sparks are the youngest Girl Guides...5 and 6 year olds), and Scuba Diving.

kskerr
11-16-2006, 06:31 PM

I KNOW KSKERR, I SPELL FAVOURITE LIKE A BRIT)

Hahaha! You have a birthday recently, you were 12 before unless I have completely lost it.... Happy birthday if I haven't ;)!

Giardia
11-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Yup, my bithday was on october 12...been 13 for over a month now:)

Stentor
12-09-2006, 07:05 PM
I chose stentor because they eat things in a way that is very fun to watch and they are adorable.

I study art and mainly do painting and sculpture. My work usually features cartoon-ey animal forms.

I only recently joined the forums but I have been a fan of giant microbes years before I broke down and bought them all.

For hobbies I mainly study zoology, do art, and hang out with my cat.

Giardia
12-15-2006, 10:22 PM
another person with them all...:D

Pollock II
02-05-2007, 02:06 PM
*bump*

So the new users can introduce themselves. :D

Giardia
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Some of them are taking awhile to do so...

Skipper
08-27-2009, 05:11 PM
Ah! Thats my cue....
Hello, I'm Skipper...

Name: David "Skipper" Caplin

Age: Physical age 20... mental age... well...... now your asking

Username origin: Skipper was a wasp pilot in the book "The Dreamwalker's Child," that felt near to home, beside the obvious difference in sex...(Shes a she... I'm not a she :-P)

Occupation: I'm a biology student in The University of Glamorgan in South Wales, United Kingdom. Studing Bsc in International Wildlife Biology. And when i'm not there I'm either working at my local Scuba Diving centre or on the local farm.

Hobbies: I get free time?! Course I do! Right, hobbies.... erm, the main ones are Mountain Biking, Scuba Diving, Photography, Kayaking, Rock Climbing, Gaming, Watching Stargate, going to Airshows, collecting fossils, looking after my freshwater tropical fish when I'm not in Wales (so like 3x a year...)