PDA

View Full Version : Non-Microbe Thread

Pollock II
09-27-2006, 12:06 PM
Ok people, in order to prevent the further clogging of legitimate Giant Microbes threads, this thread has been created for all our Non-Microbe conversations. If you want to talk about the weather where you are, do so here; if you want to talk about your favorite foods, do so here. If you want to talk about monkeys in purple capes singing "She's a Grand Ol' Flag", by all means, discuss in this thread!

However, this thread (like all the others) should not be home to pointless posts. So no strings of punctuation, emoticons, etc. Also, let's keep the profanity to PG and below, since there are users under the age of 13 on this website.

Tuburculosis
09-27-2006, 01:59 PM
any way,purple monkey capes singing forien anthems is a bit,well,like somthing you would smash the computer to peices in other threads,so,umm,yea.

kskerr
09-27-2006, 02:37 PM
The weather, ok, it is too cold! Yesterday was about 80 and gorgeous, today is pretty but too cold for my liking (under 65, which should be the low not the high). All this bollocks about global warming and it is the same stupid weather we always have, too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. Speculating what will happen in 1000 years based on weather models that cannot even predict what will happen next month is just ridiculous... I'll tell you what will happen next month, it will get even colder and I will be even more miserable, this will be the trend until March when it will still be too cold but not as cold, April starts to approach decent usually, May is often nice, June July and August I can generally live with and then September is hit or miss, usually October-mid to late April are the bad times. If I were a bacterium I would be a mesophile or thermophile I think (likes it warm to hot).

Tuburculosis
09-27-2006, 02:45 PM
yes,its cold here.

Pollock II
09-27-2006, 03:27 PM
I'm on my way to the bookstore to pick up a book called "My Pet Virus".

I'll tell you about it more when I get back... or for the impatient types:

www.amazon.com

Tuburculosis
09-27-2006, 04:36 PM
my pet virus?!:D

Pollock II
09-27-2006, 04:47 PM
They didn't have it, so I ordered it.

It's the memoirs of a man with hemophilia. He talks about how it affected his childhood and adolescence. He also talks about how he contracted HIV from a blood transfusion. The cool part is, he wrote the book in a humerous way. He's able to look at these situations and laugh at them and joke around.

Tuburculosis
09-27-2006, 05:43 PM
yes,i took a look.

kskerr
09-28-2006, 01:10 AM
They didn't have it, so I ordered it.

It's the memoirs of a man with hemophilia. He talks about how it affected his childhood and adolescence. He also talks about how he contracted HIV from a blood transfusion. The cool part is, he wrote the book in a humerous way. He's able to look at these situations and laugh at them and joke around.

I think it would be difficult to find much humor in getting HIV, sounds like an interesting individual and book.

Pollock II
09-28-2006, 02:46 PM
His parents named him Sean Thomas Decker, and he jokes about being an "STD"...

kskerr
09-29-2006, 06:45 PM
His parents named him Sean Thomas Decker, and he jokes about being an "STD"...

Yeah I can't decide if I want to do something like that to my potential offspring, though I would use a more obscure acronym than STD, probably be for a kind of microbiological media or something :p.

Tuburculosis
09-29-2006, 06:51 PM
as this is non microbes,anyone heard of Club Penguin?

Pollock II
09-29-2006, 11:51 PM
Yeah I can't decide if I want to do something like that to my potential offspring, though I would use a more obscure acronym than STD, probably be for a kind of microbiological media or something :p.

I knew a girl who had to have her name legally changed because her parents unknowingly spelled "ASS" with her initials. They had to do it before she entered school so she wouldn't be ridiculed by her classmates.

kskerr
09-30-2006, 12:35 AM
I knew a girl who had to have her name legally changed because her parents unknowingly spelled "ASS" with her initials. They had to do it before she entered school so she wouldn't be ridiculed by her classmates.

That would be so awful :eek:! Glad they caught and were good enough to fix it before she got into school and became a laughstock. It does not take much to become an outcast, children can be so cruel!

Tuburculosis
09-30-2006, 08:25 AM
they can, she was A.S.S.?!:eek:

Pollock II
09-30-2006, 09:59 AM
That would be so awful :eek:! Glad they caught and were good enough to fix it before she got into school and became a laughstock. It does not take much to become an outcast, children can be so cruel!

They were trying to please both grandmothers and name her after the both of them, and the order in which the put the names... yeah. I think they just ended up reversing it so she was SAS.

And, kids are terrible. I remember when I was in 2nd grade, and Ronald McDonald came to talk to our school about recycling or some mess like that. He asked for a volunteer to come up on stage, and he picked me. So I get up on stage and he asks "What's your name?" and said "Stephanie" and he shouts "WHAT?! Step on me!?!" in front of the WHOLE school! I was mortified. And then from that day on, everyone ranging from kindergarten to 5th grade at that school called me "Step on me".

Tuburculosis
09-30-2006, 10:35 AM
:p ha ha!step on you!

kskerr
09-30-2006, 01:29 PM
They were trying to please both grandmothers and name her after the both of them, and the order in which the put the names... yeah. I think they just ended up reversing it so she was SAS.

And, kids are terrible. I remember when I was in 2nd grade, and Ronald McDonald came to talk to our school about recycling or some mess like that. He asked for a volunteer to come up on stage, and he picked me. So I get up on stage and he asks "What's your name?" and said "Stephanie" and he shouts "WHAT?! Step on me!?!" in front of the WHOLE school! I was mortified. And then from that day on, everyone ranging from kindergarten to 5th grade at that school called me "Step on me".

Now SAS would be funny if she worked in stats since it is a stats program, lol. I had many many horrid names throughout grade school until high school, one was Ann Frank since I resembled the actress who played her in this film we watched in Jr high. The bad thing came about when this one jerk and his sidekick decided to start "joking" about the nazis coming to get me (this was a common theme to that one with those psychos) in PE. They thought they were being hilarious and probably trying to harrass me, well I did not even hear most of it since I was used to ignoring them (they spend copious hours trying to torchure me, I really have no clue why as I never bothered them) and I was not even in ear shot for some of it. The person who did hear them was a Jew whose grandmother had been in a concentration camp from what I had gathered, adn I do not think she knew that it was aimed as me. Needless to say she was extremely upset and left class crying, the story quickly got back to me and I marched over to them and threatened bodily harm if I ever heard that bollocks again, and yes I would have gone through with it too.

Then I became Scout for awhile since I resembled the actress that played her in "To Kill a Mockingbird", but that was in high school and things had gotten more in hand and it was not so much harrassment as amused observation, upperclassmen started it too since they saw the video before my grade, pretty much only the people in my own grade were mean to me, everyone else did not know I existed for the most part. It was so nice at the end of high school when people started to mature or at least become absorbed into their own life and figuring out their future and so either left me alone or were nicer to me. Our 10 year reunion should be in 2011, I should have my degree by then, might be amusing to go there with some letters behind my name and a new title...

mazuac
10-01-2006, 02:53 PM
whats an STD? is it a drug...

kskerr
10-01-2006, 03:00 PM
whats an STD? is it a drug...

Sexually Transmitted Disease used to be called VD or Veneral Disease back in the day but STD is now the in term... My Dad calls them VDs.

Pollock II
10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Actually, nowadays they're STIs "Sexual Transmitted Infections".

The two "Venerals" Giant Microbes are STDs.

kskerr
10-02-2006, 05:21 AM
Actually, nowadays they're STIs "Sexual Transmitted Infections".

Never heard it referred to as STI, STD sounds better I think... Who knows if that one will catch on, te he catch...

Tuburculosis
10-03-2006, 02:31 PM

yes,venerals are the V in VD and the name of a GM catagory.

Pollock II
10-03-2006, 06:29 PM
Man, I am so upset. I e-mailed my teacher to tell him I wasn't in class yesterday morning, and I told him I was going to stop by his office during his office hours so pick up a copy of the homework and to ask which part of the slide show we covered in class. He never responded!

Then I go to his office anyway, and he had a note that said he would be back in a little while. Well the time he was supposed to be back was the time I was supposed to be in a class, so I left him a note on his board that said I would be in class till 6PM and unable to come and get the homework. I left my e-mail address and a request to e-mail me the assignment so I could print it out and not get penalized for not having it.

I *still* have not received an e-mail from him, and that homework is due at 9:00AM tomorrow. I'm going to have a 0 for a homework grade because he couldn't do me the courtesy of e-mailing me.

Tuburculosis
10-03-2006, 08:18 PM
wow,sorry.

kskerr
10-03-2006, 10:45 PM
Man, I am so upset. I e-mailed my teacher to tell him I wasn't in class yesterday morning, and I told him I was going to stop by his office during his office hours so pick up a copy of the homework and to ask which part of the slide show we covered in class. He never responded!

Then I go to his office anyway, and he had a note that said he would be back in a little while. Well the time he was supposed to be back was the time I was supposed to be in a class, so I left him a note on his board that said I would be in class till 6PM and unable to come and get the homework. I left my e-mail address and a request to e-mail me the assignment so I could print it out and not get penalized for not having it.

I *still* have not received an e-mail from him, and that homework is due at 9:00AM tomorrow. I'm going to have a 0 for a homework grade because he couldn't do me the courtesy of e-mailing me.

Do you know anyone in the class you could get it from? Some profs will make an exception in cases like that, I know mine did for someone who he kept forgetting to send the assignment to.

Pollock II
10-04-2006, 11:43 AM
It was due today, and I told him I left notes and that I e-mailed him, and he gave me the assignment today. He is going to be giving back all of our homework on Friday, so it doesn't really matter.

kskerr
10-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Oh good, glad he gave you an extension!

Pollock II
10-04-2006, 03:27 PM
Technically not an extension, but our test is on Monday, so he's giving us back our papers to study. This is just ones I don't have to worry about him losing or not handing back.

kskerr
10-04-2006, 09:56 PM
Monday exams stink, though if it means that the exam is graded by friday it is not so bad. Hate waiting to find out, still do not know about food micro, though I likely did fine. Ick I have a stupid lab meeting tomorrow morning, don't have time for it especially since it is likely a lot about the undergrads' project which I have nothing to do with.

mazuac
10-05-2006, 07:52 PM
what is the difference between and undergrad and grad student?

kskerr
10-05-2006, 09:56 PM
what is the difference between and undergrad and grad student?

An undergrad is someone going for their two (associates) or four (bachlors) year degrees, a grad student has earned their 4-year and are working on either a masters or PhD (doctorate) (not sure if law, med, vet, etc are called grad students or not, could be). I am a grad student working on my PhD. Currently I am cranky with the undergrads since they get in my way and the ones in my lab are irritating me, especially one who lied to me and was patronising me the other day.

Pollock II
10-05-2006, 10:03 PM
I'm an undergrad. I'm on year three at my school, but it seems like year 3000. I'm getting sick of this place. Well, not really this place, but the people here are deplorable!

Oh, today my residence hall had our 13th fire alarm of the semester. School started on the 28th of August. Usually we only have 2 in that time span...

Pollock II
10-06-2006, 02:41 AM
Correction, make that 14th. It's about 2:40 AM and someone decided it would be hilarious to pull it and run off.

Just goes to show you don't have to be smart to get into college.

kskerr
10-06-2006, 06:53 PM
Correction, make that 14th. It's about 2:40 AM and someone decided it would be hilarious to pull it and run off.

Just goes to show you don't have to be smart to get into college.

I am soooo glad I opted for an apartment for grad and lived at home for undergrad!!! Heard it was an issue at the undergrad, the fire chief came out one day and gave them a stern lecture about how much the juvenile behavior puts the firefighters and others at risk, accidents on the way to calls are the number 2 cause of firefighter deaths, and also there could be a real fire somewhere else that they would not get to as soon if they were going to a false alarm across town... Only a selfish jerk would pull the alarm when there is not a fire!!!

Getting along with the lab undergrads better again (well one for sure), cleared the air with the one I was having the most issues with, hope it is finally resolved!

Pollock II
10-30-2006, 01:08 PM
This place has been very quiet now for a while... it's spooky.

kskerr
10-30-2006, 01:15 PM
I know. Personally I have been a cross between busy and going through things so haven't felt like it. Maybe I'll put up another case study one of these days...

Giardia
11-15-2006, 11:36 PM
i had something to say, but i am so tired that i've forgotten it...

Pollock II
11-18-2006, 03:13 AM
I came across this just now, and I thought all of you would gt a kick out of it. :)

http://www.madewithmolecules.com/serotoninnecklace.html

Tuburculosis
11-18-2006, 08:31 AM
LOL! that is funny.

Giardia
11-18-2006, 01:07 PM
They're making it sound like an enormous rare diamond:D

Tuburculosis
11-19-2006, 08:12 AM
yes, they make it sound like a big huge magical diamond. lol.

Giardia
11-22-2006, 06:53 PM
really its just a random bent peice of metal

Tuburculosis
11-22-2006, 07:41 PM
yes, just bent metal being treated as super presios gems!

Pollock II
11-23-2006, 04:00 AM
I think it's an awesome sterling necklace. Random bent piece of metal would = paper clip. And diamonds aren't that precious. That's just want they want you to think... Diamonds aren't rare at all actually. There's just a REDICULOUSLY HUGE monopoly on the market, so only a certain amout are allowed out at a time to make it appear that they're rare so they can screw people over with high prices for lame jewlery. "Oh I love you! Here's a cold unfeeling rock!!!"

Tuburculosis
11-23-2006, 06:35 AM
Oh MAN! i just realized the typo in my previos post. i`m REALLY sorry. it spelled a cuss. i didnt mean to. ill fix it.:o

Giardia
12-15-2006, 10:27 PM
that's ok...we all make bad typos sometimes...

kskerr
12-16-2006, 01:58 PM
I think it's an awesome sterling necklace. Random bent piece of metal would = paper clip. And diamonds aren't that precious. That's just want they want you to think... Diamonds aren't rare at all actually. There's just a REDICULOUSLY HUGE monopoly on the market, so only a certain amout are allowed out at a time to make it appear that they're rare so they can screw people over with high prices for lame jewlery. "Oh I love you! Here's a cold unfeeling rock!!!"

The necklaces are cute, though I wish they had cheaper versions, silver is a little rich for my blood and I may be allergic to it.

Have to agree about the diamonds, and right now my sister is driving me crazy over them. I got back together with my boyfriend from about 5 years ago and she is going on about what kind of ring he should get me when we become engaged. We have only been back together for 3 weeks for goodness sake! Nutty sibling! Oh and of course she has horrid taste and keeps trying to show me these very hideous rings and accuses me of being a freak when I do not like them. I told Matt that if he ever needs advice on anything about me to never talk to that sister, my other sister has more chance of being helpful. I did not ask for siblings ;).

Pollock II
12-17-2006, 12:12 PM
A friend of mine just got engaged... I'm surprised she can lift her hand the ring is so big! I mean, it's not in my taste at all (it's smothered in diamonds and it has a HUGE stone in the middle of it), so I'm not too jealous. It's a white gold band with one of those big princess cut diamonds on it. Bleugh.

Giardia
12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
Even though diamonds aren't rare, I'd still love a ring like that!!!:rolleyes:

kskerr
12-21-2006, 01:34 PM
Ack, huge gaudy rings are just not my thing. I would rather save the money too, there are so many other more important things it could be spent on. The same goes for weddings too, I personally don't like the idea of spending the equivalent of a down payment on a house on a silly ceremony. I'll likely get stuck with a fancy ceremony knowing my luck, have to keep the families happy.

Giardia
12-24-2006, 09:28 AM
OMG, my sis just got married in september...she spent 2,000 dollars US on fresh flowers! They shriveled up two days later!

kskerr
12-28-2006, 11:34 AM
My cousins wedding was like $40,000 or so (Dad recalls it being between 30 and 50,000), it was insane! $2000 for cut flowers, ack! I think it would be cool that if I had my estate already when getting married to have it there. I plan to have extensive gardens on the estate so I would not need to buy flowers, the garden itself would be the flowers and I could get cut flowers out of it if needed. Though I hate picking my flowers.

Giardia
12-29-2006, 04:25 PM
I'd rather leave the flowers on the bush/in the ground

kskerr
12-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Me too, I generally never pick mine and get mad when others do.

Giardia
12-30-2006, 02:32 PM
If youwant to see flowers, you should just look out the window

kskerr
12-31-2006, 09:08 AM
Exactally, or get fake ones like I have in my kitchen :)

Giardia
12-31-2006, 09:27 PM
nice pictures of flowers are also good, if you can't look out the window

kskerr
01-04-2007, 12:27 PM
My living room has two prints of paintings of flowers :D.

Stentor
01-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I gave my mother a pastel I did of an anthropomorphic daffodil talking to a bee.