PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Create A Disease...

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:29 PM
If you could create a disease what would it be called, how would it be transfered? what would it do? is it deadlly? how was it made? i think this could be a really cool thread hearing about everyone's imagination and creativity on microbes and disease:) this is an idealistic thread, so plz give criticsm on it and other peoples ideas but this is idealistiic, so i doesn;t have to be based off the actual stuff...

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:41 PM
My Disease would be called Spinelcoagulotant (spin-ell-coag-u-low-tent) Virus.

The Virus Mutates a red blood cell forming large spines on it (hence the term Spine-l) when other blood cells hit the spines they get infected. After the infection has started, the red blood cell coagulates inside the body, stiking to the side of the vein. pruducing poisin that will spread to the skin to infect more people the red blood cell will then, rip open, producing even more of offspring of the diesease, leading to other cells sticking to walls. after the "offspring" have come out, the old cell dies and leaves a small hole in the vein. eventually, after enough of the cells have punctured and ripped open enough wholes in the wall, internal bleeding will occur. eventually, the cells will and can rupture the heart brain etc. but i will not l=get into that. eventually the bleeding will spread through the entire body, and you will die... the disease will kill you in about 48 hours after the 1st blood cell has been infected. You must be treated within the 1st 12 hours to have a 50% chance of survival

this is just my draft of my disease, but i like it! can't wait to here from other people!

kskerr
09-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Sounds like an awful way to go...

I am devoting my life to beneficial bacteria... I do find some pathogens interesting, like botulism, never really thought about inventing one considering how many there are now. Perhaps it would be a fecal-oral disease like E. coli and several others because it is fun to say fecal-oral and grosses people out given what it means...

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
lol, plz post whatever you want, good or bad on this thread!:) i don;t care if it is a microbe that helps blind people see 28/20 vision:) i just put on i was thinking of up:) i wil have mroe to come:)

kskerr
09-17-2006, 09:10 PM
It wouldn't be a disease if it helped people... ;)

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 10:58 PM
There was a bogus article on April Fool's Day this year about a disease that reanimated cells and, basically, creates zombies.

I'd want to do something like that.

mazuac
09-18-2006, 06:41 AM
It wouldn't be a disease if it helped people... ;)

No, but it could be a microbe;)

kskerr
09-18-2006, 01:15 PM
No, but it could be a microbe;)

But silly you titled the thread, "If You Could Create a Disease..."

kskerr
09-18-2006, 01:42 PM
Here is a disease I want created for real. Poison Ivy Necrotic Virus (or any name/kind) that infects and kills poison ivy and other urushiol producing plants. Also a bacteria, spore former, that will use urushiol as its primary carbon source (in other words eats it), Bacillus urushiolis. The reason I want a spore former is in case the plant comes back, the bacteria would be dormant waiting for it, the virus would likely have to be reintroduced, but if the bacteria does a good job getting rid of the oil then the plant should either be harmless or not as poisonous (I still want them erradicated).

Urushiol is the oil produced by poison ivy, oak, and sumac that causes the allergic reaction. http://www.poison-ivy.org/

Tuburculosis
09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
eclotorous itoheptis.this is a deadlly virus.it causes extreme abounts of mucas,much like pnomonia.it builds,up in your lungs,and ,wait.sorry got to go.illl continue this some other toime.

Pollock II
09-18-2006, 02:40 PM
Here is a disease I want created for real. Poison Ivy Necrotic Virus (or any name/kind) that infects and kills poison ivy and other urushiol producing plants. Also a bacteria, spore former, that will use urushiol as its primary carbon source (in other words eats it), Bacillus urushiolis. The reason I want a spore former is in case the plant comes back, the bacteria would be dormant waiting for it, the virus would likely have to be reintroduced, but if the bacteria does a good job getting rid of the oil then the plant should either be harmless or not as poisonous (I still want them erradicated).

Urushiol is the oil produced by poison ivy, oak, and sumac that causes the allergic reaction. http://www.poison-ivy.org/

Rabbits, birds and other forest animals eat poison ivy though. It doesn't affect them the way it does humans. If you took it away, you'd notice changes in the rabbit populations, and then in the populations of those aminals who eat rabbits, and so forth...

mazuac
09-18-2006, 02:51 PM
yes, you would disrupt the living ways of many lifeforms... but this is IDEALISTIC if thats even a word... anyways... i told my mmo that if we elimnated the commmon cold, much worse diseases would come and take the spots of the common cold...

kskerr
09-18-2006, 06:19 PM
Rabbits, birds and other forest animals eat poison ivy though. It doesn't affect them the way it does humans. If you took it away, you'd notice changes in the rabbit populations, and then in the populations of those aminals who eat rabbits, and so forth...

Potentially limiting rabbits at the same time, my disease just keeps getting better and better!!!! Though I have only heard of goats eating it, and if the rabbits were willing to eat it there would be none here since there are so many rabbits, Iowa is infested with both! The rabbits are not too bad, though they can be horrid garden pests, the deer are the ones that I dislike more as they destroyed my first batch of corn (bugs got the second). The animals can find something else to eat, I do not like the risk that horrid plant is to me and others, there are children all over and many of them internationals and so they have no clue why they are getting it and from where. Hmm, wonder if I make a big fuss the university will clean it up...

mazuac
09-19-2006, 05:36 PM
lol, but then again... we could just create a rub for that nasty ol' plant

Pollock II
09-19-2006, 06:06 PM
There are special soaps on the market that dissolve the poison ivy oil pretty fast. I got poison ivy all over ym face once and I washed with the soap and it was gone in a day or 2.

mazuac
09-19-2006, 06:25 PM
does poison ivy itch?

kskerr
09-19-2006, 10:48 PM
does poison ivy itch?

OK I scratched holes through my skin... I have never been suicidal in my life and I was very tempted to jump in front of the bus or off the bridge. I would spend a half hour doing absolutely nothing but scratching, I would even wake up scratching myself. I would rather have appendicitis again than have poison ivy again!!!

kskerr
09-19-2006, 10:51 PM
There are special soaps on the market that dissolve the poison ivy oil pretty fast. I got poison ivy all over ym face once and I washed with the soap and it was gone in a day or 2.

They did not work for me, I bought practically every treatment known to man. Then mine was septic so topical treatments were not enough, I needed drugs, doc had to up my dosage even since the first round did not work, he was shocked. Most of the oil dissolving treatments are best for within a few hours of exposure.

Pollock II
09-19-2006, 11:58 PM
My mom's incredibly allergic to it. She'll puff up like a balloon animal.

I do too to some degree. I got poison ivy on my legs once and I scratched it till it bled, and then of course, that just made the whole thing worse because I had an itchy open wound!!

kskerr
09-20-2006, 12:38 AM
My mom's incredibly allergic to it. She'll puff up like a balloon animal.

I do too to some degree. I got poison ivy on my legs once and I scratched it till it bled, and then of course, that just made the whole thing worse because I had an itchy open wound!!

Icky oozy, bloody wounds for me, it was truely hideous, thank goodness I don't have a roommate!!! I wore long sleeves everywhere except home and the doc office and it was about 90 degrees out (during the heat wave), always wear long pants since I work in a lab. Since I have this other condition it made them turn purple and blue, it was attractive, bleck!!! To say the least I am extremely paranoid whenever I see anything even close to resembling poison ivy now.

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:14 AM
WOW!has anyone been posting and it sais:the information you have posted...iin a pop up?

Pollock II
09-20-2006, 08:38 AM
Icky oozy, bloody wounds for me, it was truely hideous, thank goodness I don't have a roommate!!! I wore long sleeves everywhere except home and the doc office and it was about 90 degrees out (during the heat wave), always wear long pants since I work in a lab. Since I have this other condition it made them turn purple and blue, it was attractive, bleck!!! To say the least I am extremely paranoid whenever I see anything even close to resembling poison ivy now.

Here's a good way to tell: lay your right hand over your left hand and stick your thumbs out. See how both sides of the "leaf" have little "thumbs"? That's what the top leaf of poison ivy looks like. Then the 2 leaves that come down on the bottom (sort of like a radioactive sign) have their "thumbs" on the outside. Put your left wrist over your right wrist, palm down. The "thumbs" make the bottom leaves look like mittens.

So the top leave has two "thumbs" and the bottm leaves each have one "thumb" on the outside edge. Leaves of three, let it be.

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 01:56 PM
ive never had it!:p

kskerr
09-20-2006, 06:12 PM
Here's a good way to tell: lay your right hand over your left hand and stick your thumbs out. See how both sides of the "leaf" have little "thumbs"? That's what the top leaf of poison ivy looks like. Then the 2 leaves that come down on the bottom (sort of like a radioactive sign) have their "thumbs" on the outside. Put your left wrist over your right wrist, palm down. The "thumbs" make the bottom leaves look like mittens.

So the top leave has two "thumbs" and the bottm leaves each have one "thumb" on the outside edge. Leaves of three, let it be.

I am pretty good at spotting it, did much research on the internet looking at different leaf morphologies and such, the bad thing is that there are so many different forms of it, we seem to have them all here! I have seen the bush form, the ivy form, it growing as short weeds, red leaves, green leaves, jagged or smooth, shiny or matte... It is a truely evil plant!!!

mazuac
09-20-2006, 06:24 PM
lol, is it possible to be immune to Poison Ivy???

kskerr
09-20-2006, 06:26 PM
lol, is it possible to be immune to Poison Ivy???

Yes to a point but that "immunity" can come and go so if you are exposed one time and do not get the reaction that does not mean you will not the next or even years later after countless exposures.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 06:28 PM
oh, b/c i have touched and fell into poisin ivy... but it never effected me

Tuburculosis
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM
im immune to it.

kskerr
09-20-2006, 06:49 PM
Either of you could get it at any time in the future, best to avoid it and if you do come into contact with it wash the area with cold soay water as soon as possibe (studies vary one how soon, some say within 30 minutes some say 1-2 hours). Especially given how allergies work, and it is an allergic reaction, generally first exposure causes what is called "priming" where the immune system sees and figures out what it is and what it should do about it and future exposures have the strong allergic reaction.

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:05 PM
ok.but ive touchd it all over.

It has been known to cause people that did not react in the past to react, you never know, if you want to tempt fate be my guest, having experienced it I would not recommend it... Also who knows, perhaps you were touching something that was a look alike and not actual poison ivy, there are many imposters. If someone else touched it as well and got a reaction...

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:11 PM
either way best not to tempt things, it is a tricky one, and a truely horrid condition! Appendicitis was not fun at all (I had it for about 3 days before we figured it out and they removed it) but I would rather have that again several times before having poison ivy again!

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:14 PM
reallyl, why is p. ivy so bad?

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:15 PM
My doc said it was the closest he had ever seen to bursting without having burst, my appendix was talented! They treated me with a full course of antibiotics just in case it had ruptured a little without them knowing. Sad thing is how long I sat in the ER waiting for them to get to me, oh well all ended well.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:20 PM
did it hurt?

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:21 PM
reallyl, why is p. ivy so bad?

I itched like a million mosquittos had decended on me but scratching did not stop it, even when I made it all bloody, a mosquitto bite will stop itching if you break the skin at least (not that it is a good idea to do so because it opens you to infection). Considering how deap I scratched it to and the fact that I was on immunosuppressives to get rid of it I am surprised I did not get a nasty infection. I tried many treatments but most did not work and the few that did only lasted a couple hours, could only sleep about 2 hours at a time and generally gave up after 4 hours total, this lasted about 2 weeks, so much of that time is a blur to me, my research suffered for it, thank goodness I had someone helping me at the time otherwise it would not have gotten done. I think severe itching is worse than pain for the most part.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:24 PM
for some reason... mosquitto bites don't swel up or itch on me...

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:36 PM
Yes appendicitis hurts, especially one of the tests they use to figure out if it is appendicitis. If I were not so weak from not eating for 3 days and in the end not drinking (well technically I ate but I could not keep anything down, the last day that included water), I would have kicked the doc in the head. The kid in the room next to mine had it worse, his actually burst so they had to cut him all the way open, with me I qualified for the three small holes and having a camera and the instruments going in like that, much faster recovery.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:37 PM
ow... being cut open must hurt! why do we have organs that we don't need?

kskerr
09-20-2006, 07:50 PM
ow... being cut open must hurt! why do we have organs that we don't need?

The appendix is just an extention of your intestine, it is not really an organ. It is a part of the rabbit immune system, most likely it had a function at one time and who knows perhaps still does. Some things, like tonsils, actually do have a function, those in particular is part of the immune system, they hardly ever remove them anymore since it is generally not the cause of the problem but rather a sign that there is one since it swells up when there is an infection (not because it is infected). Removing them will not kill you but in most cases it does not help and they is better left alone.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 07:52 PM
my sister got hers removed b/c they were so big... the bigget size is 3 and she had 2 and a half...

kskerr
09-20-2006, 08:03 PM
my sister got hers removed b/c they were so big... the bigget size is 3 and she had 2 and a half...

Her appendix or something else?

mazuac
09-20-2006, 08:03 PM
her tonsils

kskerr
09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
They only remove them if they are in fact defective these days, they used to think they were before research proved that it is normally not the case. Before they did not know what they were for.

mazuac
09-20-2006, 08:05 PM
they removed it b/c it was causing her to have a sleep disorder... and snoring...

Pollock II
09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
I know a kid who had his tonsils removed when he was younger, and how he has this weird cough.

I also knew guy who went into the hospital because his stomach was hurting, and they found out it was appendicitis, and that his appendix was 2 hours away from rupturing.

kskerr
09-21-2006, 02:29 AM
Appendicitis rarely starts as lower right quadrant pain (where the appendix is), often starts very general, which is why none of us thought I had it since we all figured it would hurt there. For me it started up by the rib cage/stomach area and then eventually worked down and it was not until they started torchuring, I mean diagnosing, me that it was on the right lower.

Pollock II
09-21-2006, 10:14 AM
The worst I've had, as far as organs go, was a kidney infection. No fun. No fun at all.

I've had foot surgery a while back, and I had my wisdom teeth out. That's it for surgeries.

I also broke my leg when I was 10 months old too, but that's not really a surgical thing. They jsut throw a cast on you.

mazuac
09-21-2006, 03:04 PM
what did the kidney infection do???

kskerr
09-21-2006, 03:10 PM
The worst I've had, as far as organs go, was a kidney infection. No fun. No fun at all.

I've had foot surgery a while back, and I had my wisdom teeth out. That's it for surgeries.

I also broke my leg when I was 10 months old too, but that's not really a surgical thing. They jsut throw a cast on you.

Kidney infection sounds horrible! Appendix is the only surgery I have had. Messed up my knee running and my wrist riding a mechanical bull but those were not operated on, though they did put a shot of cortisone or something in the tendon of the wrist, it was supposed to fix it but made it worse for a month or so and now it is one of those injuries that only bugs me if I overdo it so I don't bother trying to get it fixed anymore, if it is even possible. The knee is supposedly going to get better on its own but doc said by early 20s and here I am and it has not cleared... Oh well it is usually not too bad, does not like cold and weather changes but other than that it is generally manageable.

Pollock II
09-21-2006, 03:17 PM
what did the kidney infection do???

It's like someone is stabbing you in your side and it makes it hard to urinate and all kinds of unpleasant stuff. I had to take lots of medicine and drink rediculous amouts of water. Every day I felt like I was going to drown with all the water I was having to drink to flush the infection out.

Efogoto
09-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Death to poison ivy and poison oak! I totally agree. I don't get the stuff as bad as my sister, but it's no fun and drives me nuts. Market that stuff and you could make a mint - and since it'sidealistic, there would be no negative side effects except for masochists who like to lie around puffy and itchy.

kskerr
09-25-2006, 01:00 AM
Death to poison ivy and poison oak! I totally agree. I don't get the stuff as bad as my sister, but it's no fun and drives me nuts. Market that stuff and you could make a mint - and since it'sidealistic, there would be no negative side effects except for masochists who like to lie around puffy and itchy.

I really doubt that there would be any major issues caused if poison ivy and oak were eradicated, I know of nothing that relies on that stuff. It just needs to die!!!!

Pollock II
09-25-2006, 03:31 PM
Their *companies* can also depend on ant bites, mosquito bites, and other rashes (such as the kind some people get from food allergies).

kskerr
09-25-2006, 07:47 PM
itch reliver companies depend on it...

Most companies that make them also have other products as well, and as Pollock said they work on other itch related problems, and besides none of them really worked for me when I had it...

Pollock II
09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
ok,i love it when you do *this*,*that*,whenever you correct us.

I'm studying to be an English teacher. It's mandatory.

kskerr
09-25-2006, 10:45 PM
Yes, learn from Pollock, proper english is important no matter what field you go into!

Pollock II
09-26-2006, 08:51 AM
I have written a paper in every one of my classes thus far at school, including math and history, and in each paper we were graded not only on our content but on our grammar, spelling, punctuation, and sentence structure as well.

If you're ever going to be taken seriously by anyone you need to learn proper spelling.

Pollock II
09-26-2006, 02:36 PM
Italics are used for quotes.

Like how I'm quoting myself when I say:
If you're ever going to be taken seriously by anyone you need to learn proper spelling.

kskerr
09-26-2006, 05:53 PM
no,i meant usualy some one will tipe in italics for miss spelled wordss.i made som delibrit mistakes here,too.so dont think im an idiot hoo cant spel.

Why would you make deliberate mistakes in a post that says you know how to spell and such? I would put it in <> or something instead of italics myself. Italics are used for quotes as Pollock said or more often in my field they are used to replace underlining something, like a title (often of an article, maybe a book) or the name of an organism, this is why I will often (but not always since I get lazy) put a name of something in quotes, especially when I give the full name like Bifidobacterium longum or the like.

Pollock II
09-26-2006, 09:07 PM
often of an article

Italics are used for article titles, and for the Latin names for animals, plants, bacteria, etc.

kskerr
09-27-2006, 02:04 PM
I suppose people use them for different things personally, like I have a financial spread sheet to keep track of how incredibly broke I am, I have expenses that I know the ballpark but not the exact amount of in italitics to signify it is an estimate. Someone could use italics when going through an electronic copy of a document and italise the misspelled words I suppose. I think another common one is puting <sp> or <sp?> next to it, I have seen that. I think my mom puts words in red when they are misspelled and she is correcting for a friend, I never have her go through mine since I write them the night before (not a good idea) and let spell checker do that for me and hope it catches everything...

Tuburculosis
10-03-2006, 02:42 PM
who is deleting all my posts!?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

kskerr
10-03-2006, 10:47 PM
who is deleting all my posts!?:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I would say either a glitch or the admin, many of your old posts should be deleted...

Tuburculosis
10-04-2006, 05:58 AM
no admin or mod has bin on

Pollock II
10-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Some admins hide their status so no ones knows they're on. That's what I do sometimes on the board that my boyfriend and I run. That way you can catch spammers in the act and they never see it coming because they don't know you're on.

I don't think we have mods on this board just yet. I did suggest to Dan (the admin) that he appoint some.

I would also agree with Kskerr on the last comment as well. Notice she said "old posts" so don't go throwing a fit about how you've improved, because yes you have. I would also like to cite what was mentioned waaaaaay back in some old post or another that it is the quality on an individual's posts NOT the quantity. On my boyfriend's board, posting for the sake of increasing your post count is spamming, and your account would be deleted on the spot and not an eyelash would be batted.

kskerr
10-04-2006, 12:32 PM
no admin or mod has bin on

Unless you can check their past history I am not sure how you would know they have not been on, I only know who is on and not when I look at the screen when I am on, people of course can be on when I am not...