PDA

View Full Version : giant microibes products

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:53 PM
i want pillows,blankets,plush chair,ect...

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 09:09 PM
I think it would be great if they made bedbug sheets (and sleeping sickness pillowcases) and athelete's foot slippers.

Other fun additions would be "Enormous Microbes!" where our beloved GMs would be about the size of body pillows.

I think bathroom towels/beach towels would be fun as well. Maybe eventually plastic dishes (like for little kids) with pictures of salmonella and e. coli and stomache ache on them.

Even PJs with Giant Microbes printed on them would be fun.

Haha! I'd even buy undies with silk screens of the Venerals on them.

They could take their products in so many different punny directions!

Bring germs into your home with Giant Microbes Home Decorations!!

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 09:10 PM
Beer mugs with Yeast printed on them!!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:11 AM
The beer mug would be the perfect present for my dad!!! He is still totally into his brewing kick, I created a monster getting him the little tank (2.5 gallons), he has since gotten his old 6 gallon bucket tank out and is going at it!

Or louse pillowcase...

ROLF on the undies!

Have info on the plates about the organism and how to prevent against it, like wash your hands after touching raw meat, can't say cook meat properly since I am totally into rare beef, though chicken and pork I always cook until they are 165 or higher with my meat thermometer. Don't prep raw meat on the counter and then without washing it prep ready to eats on the same surface... Don't let food sit out if it should be in the fridge or frozen. Hmm this reminds me that I should be working on my food micro assignment...

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:17 AM
Or aprons with your choice of mad cow, salmonella, or E.coli! perfect for B.B.Q's!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:21 AM
Lab coats would be cool, though I am a bad little lab slave and rarely ever wear one!

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:23 AM
I almost said how about giant microbes stuffies? and then I thought "wait a minute..."

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:29 AM
Or aprons with your choice of mad cow, salmonella, or E.coli! perfect for B.B.Q's!

YES! Perfect!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:08 PM
They should hire us in their product development department (if such a thing exists), pay us in merchandise since we would just spend money on the stuff anyway ;)

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Sounds like a plan to me!

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 01:59 PM
The beer mug would be the perfect present for my dad!!! He is still totally into his brewing kick, I created a monster getting him the little tank (2.5 gallons), he has since gotten his old 6 gallon bucket tank out and is going at it!

Or louse pillowcase...

ROLF on the undies!

Have info on the plates about the organism and how to prevent against it, like wash your hands after touching raw meat, can't say cook meat properly since I am totally into rare beef, though chicken and pork I always cook until they are 165 or higher with my meat thermometer. Don't prep raw meat on the counter and then without washing it prep ready to eats on the same surface... Don't let food sit out if it should be in the fridge or frozen. Hmm this reminds me that I should be working on my food micro assignment...
my dad is into brewing too,and you got ROFL wrong.

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 02:14 PM
You're actually going to sit there and correct someone on spelling?!

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 03:20 PM
it wasnt spelling,it was order of words.
rolling on the laghing floor?that makes no sence!

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 05:45 PM
Rolling on the lineolum floor. It's a type of plastic tile.

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 05:56 PM
:confused: wat?lineolum,i know what that is,but you WERE joking,right?

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
I could be joking, or I could be totally serious. I have seeen peole roll around on lineolum floors before...

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 06:16 PM
ive done it too!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 09:19 PM
I bet you have... I am a grad student and science major not a teenager anymore, even when I was my slang education was never all that ;). Thanks for the save Pollock :D, yes linolium, lol! ROLFL :p! You do have to let them have their moment Pollock, it is likely not going to be too often that TB will be able to correct one of us, while I am fallable I try very hard not to be on this thing when I am on a scientific subject and even if I were it is not likely to be caught by a 10 year old. Of course my spelling and grammar are not always too great, I am a science major and all ;).

mazuac
09-15-2006, 09:23 PM
well, yes, kskerr, i might be able to get better in things that i have studied :) (ahem,middle east/astronomy) oh, does micro-biology take a lot of math? i am... erm... not the best... well, i mean a B isn't so bad, but i struggel.i usually get 3.9 or 4.00 for my GP

kskerr
09-15-2006, 10:47 PM
Microbiology does not take too much math, I only had to take a year of calculous, which I hated. Stats (applied math) can be tricky, have to take more of that myself since I am way too rusty on it and the one course I had was rather general. Until calc I was great in math. Your "areas of study" really have nothing to do with micro...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 08:23 AM
i hate all math,espellily this: write 987,638,359,032 in word form.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:00 AM
HOLY CRAP! did you really have to do that??"? that would suk!

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:01 AM
i know kskerr, but i just wanted to no b/c doctors make good money, so i am starting to think of what i want to be when i am older... sholom :)

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:02 AM
i had to do 7 of those!:( :mad:

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm terrible at math. I still use my fingers to add things together, and I barely passed my high school algebra class with a C (I got a 75...).

Then in college I took a "Math in Society" class. AWESOME! We learned how to calculate electric bills (like how much does it cost to keep X amout of appliances on for X amout of time), and we learned about fallacies and all kids of useful stuff that I've actually gone back and used outside of class already. I pulled a high B in that class (Like an 88 I think). Our teacher was a jerk, but the material was fun!

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 11:53 AM
u still use your fingers?!?!

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 12:12 PM
Sometimes, like for really big numbers.

Sometimes I'll even draw the equation in the air with my fingers (like using your finger as a pencil).

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:12 PM
well for big one i do to...:o

kskerr
09-16-2006, 03:01 PM
I use my finger to punch the keys on a calculator... I also do it on paper or on the whiteboard in lab (I also diagram my experiments on it sometimes and remind myself of that A Beautiful Mind guy a little), capable of doing things in my head but I prefer to see it and make sure I do not skip anything.

Hmm writing out numbers, that brings back ancient memories. Just wait until they make you learn long division...

Ah so you are an applied math person Pollock. The same equation can be used but if it is in terms of something you can relate to it makes more sense. Probably helped that you had some algebra background going into it. I loved algebra and trig, those were the days, calc was simply horrid and my advanced stats is looming over my head for next semester. The one stats thing I had in undergrad was not too bad, this will likely be worse.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:21 PM
i... struggle in math... but the lowest grade i have ever had in SS ( social studies) was a B plus:)

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:28 PM
i know kskerr, but i just wanted to no b/c doctors make good money, so i am starting to think of what i want to be when i am older... sholom :)

It takes about 8-10 years out of high school to become an MD (which I assume is what you mean by doctor, I am getting my doctorate but it is a PhD). The cost of med school is astronomical but then the return is rather good. Given the cost of malpractice insurance though many MD's are quitting and changing fields. It is almost impossible to get into med school and very difficult to get through it. It is not a decision to take lightly, it is a huge commitment, and you have lives that depend on you, one mistake could kill someone. So now you know several reasons why I decided while still in high school why I did not want to go for an MD. I was also not interested in it really, I care more about what bacteria do and how they work than I do about humans. Originally planned to get a PhD in genetics but then while in undergrad that I was not as interested in that field and how theoretical it had gotten and that I was much more interested in microbiology to begin with (I encountered genetics first) so here I am.

My advice, keep learning and keep your options open. If you finish high school and are still thinking you want to get an MD get a job at a hospital or clinic so you can see and experience that world but try to have your undergrad degree in something that is flexable so that if you either change your mind or don't get into med school (for every 1 seat there are generally at least 500 or so applicants, not good odds), you will not be totally screwed and have to start over or have a not so usefull degree (though there are usually options for most degrees if you have good test scores and GPA, could get a law degree or go into journalism and be a sciece writer or something). You have 6 years to think about this before college, chances are you will change your mind before then, especially if money is the only thing you are thinking about right now. Money was the last thing in my decision, I love what I do and the fact that they actually pay me to do it, that is the coolest thing in the world. That is what you want to go for, something that you enjoy doing, who cares how much they pay you if you hate it and are miserable. I think I wanted to be an architect when I was your age, I changed my mind several times in high school the more I learned and discovered what interested me.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:33 PM
okay, thank you!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:49 PM
Another thing, do not make a big deal about the idea of becoming an MD to your family, some of them get nutty about it and freak if you want to do something else, to them it can be a huge disappointment. Also I have known people whose parents refused to help them pay for college since they changed their mind, that is awful and sad but it happens.

Oh I am under a tornado watch now :eek:, it is our turn to get one, last time it was U of I that got the twister and time before was us at State... Looks like it will be a few hours before the system gets here at least. Sucks that we are finally getting rain and it is when gardening season is pretty much done, mine is mostly dead at least! Stupid droughts! Stupid severe weather coming at night so I can't watch it blow through, only lightning is cooler at night.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:53 PM
lol, plz take care of your microbes, they must not be sucked up into the spiraling vortex of doom! okay... but know really, plz take care

kskerr
09-16-2006, 09:11 PM
lol, plz take care of your microbes, they must not be sucked up into the spiraling vortex of doom! okay... but know really, plz take care

Thanks, I hope my buildings (apartment and lab) do not get hit if we do have a tornado, last ones to hit only damaged trees on campus and destroyed one home in town. If my lab building were leveled I estimate it would make that an F5 tornado since the scale is based on damage and that building and the equipment it contains is worth millions, very possibly up in the billion dollar range. Of course I would mourn my project being lost but of course it is better that than people being killed. Last year one hit during the home football game and people were tailgating and did not seek shelter, lucky for them it touched down on the other side of town but there was a funnel over my apartment complex that I saw out my window (would not be able to see one at night most likely), that is only about 2 miles north of the stadium. If one touched down there there would have been hundreds killed and thousands injured (there were a few thousand tailgaters that did not go inside, over 10,000 that did go inside).

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
wow, then i will pray... for you and the equipment...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 07:07 AM
tornados!i hope none of you microbes fall into it!

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:36 AM
thats what i said, KSKERR... will survive!

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 10:06 AM
torado is wat you mebnt by giant vortex of doom?

mazuac
09-17-2006, 12:50 PM
yes, it is...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 12:56 PM
ok.i didnt relize.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 03:27 PM
oh, lol:) i haven't herd from kskerr all day... i hope she is all wirght...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
i would like a cell you could open up.robosomes would be so cute!:D :D :D :D

mazuac
09-17-2006, 06:36 PM
robosomes? information plz?

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:38 PM
protein creating organelles in cells,look like peas.:D :D :D :D

mazuac
09-17-2006, 06:38 PM
OH YEAH! i remeber learning about those 2 years ago in 5th grade:) ttly forgoy about those:) ribo-zo-mees lol

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:48 PM
They are called ribosomes... They are the one organelle that bacteria also have though theirs are different from ours a little, they look the same but theirs are a little smaller. They kinda look like blobs if you see it close enough, but do look like beads or peas if not highly magnified.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:15 PM
i know, i was just showing the prununciation of it

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 10:50 PM
No, it's another phonetically spelled word. "Ribo- Zomes" is how it's pronounced.

I think it would be cool of they had a huge cell you could unzip and then all the little parts of the cell could velcro to the inside.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 01:06 PM
No, it's another phonetically spelled word. "Ribo- Zomes" is how it's pronounced.

I think it would be cool of they had a huge cell you could unzip and then all the little parts of the cell could velcro to the inside.

I have never ever heard that one, robosomes. Or there is another phonetic spelling I did not see, ribo-zo-mees, that one is interesting... Ribosome seems to be one thing that most scientists pronounce the same, phage is one I hear different ones, there was a "friendly" feud about it at my undergrad, my micro proff was very particular about it, the Iowans mostly pronounce it wrong according to her way (ai v ah sound for the a). I say it with the ai sound... The Iowans would drive her nuts, though she claims she has never heard anyone but the other prof pronounce it "wrong", would be interesting to see her reaction to it.

Most importantly though, that cell idea would be very cool!!! Also have a bacteria version with ribosomes and a chromosome and plasmids... :D

mazuac
09-18-2006, 03:10 PM
is it a plushie? ifi so, wered you get it

kskerr
09-18-2006, 06:26 PM
is it a plushie? ifi so, wered you get it

No we were dreaming up new things we want them to make for us :D!

mazuac
09-19-2006, 05:34 PM
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... okay... well, i still think microbes are the bestsestttt