PDA

View Full Version : what new microbe do you want the most?

Tuburculosis
09-04-2006, 05:31 PM
i want malaria,definatly malaria:D :D :D :D .

Tuburculosis
09-04-2006, 05:32 PM
ooops,i forgot to make this a poll,sorry!

Pollock
09-04-2006, 09:48 PM
Rabies. Hands down.

Unless they come up with other GM merch (like bed bug pillowcases or athelete's foot slippers) then I want that. :p

Tuburculosis
09-05-2006, 09:03 AM
plz put your answer in the other thread.this one i didnt make a poll by accident:o .i made another.:rolleyes:

Tuburculosis
09-05-2006, 07:18 PM
thank you!:) :) :) :D

Giardia
09-08-2006, 07:37 PM
camels like toast on tuesday, mabel

kskerr
09-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Ahhh TB has gotten to Giardia :eek:, fight it my canadian friend fight it!!!!

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 07:05 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Giardia
09-09-2006, 11:29 AM
that was weird, wasn't it?

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 12:50 PM
yes,it was:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

kskerr
09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
Is it a learning device phase thingy that means something :confused:?

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 03:56 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:WAT!?!?

Giardia
09-10-2006, 10:46 AM
no, it was just a random thing that was inspired by a memorization sentence

kskerr
09-10-2006, 02:31 PM
Does this memorization sentence mean/stand for anything?

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
i cant think of anything:confused:plz try again in 2 seconds...

Pollock
09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
no, it was just a random thing that was inspired by a memorization sentence

Sort of like the nmeumonic device to help remember planets (though that's changing, units of measure, etc. I can never remember the one for "kingdom, phylum, species..." so much for aiding in memorization.

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 07:20 PM
:confused:

kskerr
09-11-2006, 12:43 AM
Nmeumonic device that's how you spell it :D, I was going to put that but did not know the spelling and also figured that not everyone knows what that means. I know, Please excuse my dear Aunt Sally (or Purple elephants may dance at sunset), aka the order of mathmatical operations, Parenthesis, Exponent, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction, we also liked calling it PEMDAS since it sounds funny :). Then there was HOMES; Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, and Superior. I can't remember the one for Kingdom et al., been so long, my area of science doesn't really believe in it either since it is rather archaic and attempts to modernise it have not been too successful.

kskerr
09-11-2006, 12:46 AM
Oh and species comes last :): Family, genus, species, those are the three my kind care about, especially genus and species. Well technically that is what most scientists care about most, that is how things are listed, like E. coli, Bifidobacterium lactis, ect.

Tuburculosis
09-11-2006, 02:15 PM
yup,how did we get into memorization poems?:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Pollock II
09-11-2006, 10:21 PM
First of all, it's me, the original Pollock. I had a brain fart, forgot my password and when I changed it (like they make you do when you forget) I typed in my e-mail address incorrectly, because tonight is apparently the night for me to be scatter brained. :o

Secondly, I just came across the memory device for the kingdom, phylum thing...

King Phillip Came Over For Good Soup.

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. <3

kskerr
09-12-2006, 02:48 AM
Giardia posted one, best not to question our randomness and just go with the flow (intelligently)...

Tuburculosis
09-12-2006, 05:03 PM
yup,randomness...

mazuac
09-12-2006, 07:31 PM
:o I would like the whole set of Cancer, not only b/c my friends mom died of it 2day, but also b/c it affects many people... and b/c my mom is going to get lung cancer soon b/c she smokes... I will just pray...

kskerr
09-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Cancer cells are just our body's cells gone screwy, they are not microbes... Sorry to hear about your friend's mom :(, hope your mom quits though there are people that smoke all their lives and never get cancer, there is more to it than that but it is a big factor and so it is best not to.

mazuac
09-13-2006, 03:00 PM
oh, once again, i am only 12 sooo.... i shall make a ton of mistakes... more of my skills is on Astronomy, writing and the World...
also, i emailed Giant Microbes, and they said they would pass on the idea to the other peeps,....
lemme go check my email

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:09 PM
yay!demented cells!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:11 PM
lol, i agree

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
demented cell!im fine with that

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:26 PM
maybe... TAPEWORM!

kskerr
09-13-2006, 10:03 PM
Secondly, I just came across the memory device for the kingdom, phylum thing...

King Phillip Came Over For Good Soup.

Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species. <3

Either I did not see your post through all the rubbage (nice brity word) or this thing was being screwy... I think that is the one I had to memorise before. Since I only care about the last three I generally forget the order of the others :).

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I have a hard time sifting through all the rubbish around here too. I like how you spelled "memorize" in the British English way with an 's' instead of a 'z'.

kskerr
09-14-2006, 12:26 AM
I have trouble remembering the s vs the z, there are too many exceptions with that one! Did not realise the brits use the s, so technically it is not spelled wrong then :p!

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 02:44 PM
you had a brain fart? ive done that,typed in the wrong email,was TERRIBLE.

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 05:44 PM
I have trouble remembering the s vs the z, there are too many exceptions with that one! Did not realise the brits use the s, so technically it is not spelled wrong then :p!

Yeah, they use 's' instead of 'z' for words like 'memorize, recognize, and realize'.

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:41 PM
they do?i thought it was just extra u`s!

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 08:49 PM
When you get to high school, you'll learn all kinds of things you have never even thought about before.

Of crouse, I learned mine because I have a few British friends, and the laugh at me and my Texan drawl.

kskerr
09-14-2006, 11:22 PM
I think Texan drawls (real not the crappy fake ones) and brit accents are cool! I have a total midwesterner accent for obvious reasons ;).

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:22 AM
AAAAGH! Why didn't Pollock mention that sentence two years earlier? The kingdom, phylum, yada, yada, yada, I mean. We learned that stuff in grade 6 and that scentence would've helped alot on the stupid test Mr. Kilbank gave us...

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
I think Texan drawls (real not the crappy fake ones) and brit accents are cool! I have a total midwesterner accent for obvious reasons ;).

It's funny because I didn't really have a prominent drawl till I started going to school in east Texas. Originally I'm a city kid, but being out in the middle of no where, it's become more obvious.

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:27 AM
AAAAGH! Why didn't Pollock mention that sentence two years earlier? The kingdom, phylum, yada, yada, yada, I mean. We learned that stuff in grade 6 and that scentence would've helped alot on the stupid test Mr. Kilbank gave us...

I'm sorry. *shrug* It will come in handy later in life. Trust me.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:07 PM
It's funny because I didn't really have a prominent drawl till I started going to school in east Texas. Originally I'm a city kid, but being out in the middle of no where, it's become more obvious.

I actually have a bit of a mix of midwesterner accents (since there are more than one), being from Chicago area but with family in IN and now being in Iowa, though IN is more distinct of them all unless you are in certain regions of Ioway I am told, There are 2-3 or so Iowan accents from what I have heard.

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:46 PM
My dad's originally from Detroit, Michigan, and he has a weird accent; he'll say "I'm going to warsh my clothes" or "The first president was George Warshington". He's spent about 30 years in Texas though, so he has a pretty neurtal speech now. The north and the south canceled each other out.

My cousins (most of them) are from Detroit too, so when they come to visit (rarely) they'll ask me for a "pop", and I'm sitting there saying "You mean a Coke?" And they're like "I don't drink Coke, I want a pop."

My mom's from Kentucky, but she grew up in Kansas City, Missouri, so she really doesn't have an accent.

I'm the only one in my entire family born and raised in the same state, so I end up being the one with the prominent accent, and of course whereever I go everyone will hear my slight souther drawl and go "OMGZZZ You're from TEXAS!! Where's your big hat!? Do you own a horse?!"

Hehe, I just realized that school has "accentuated" my "accent". (English Nerd Humor)

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 03:27 PM
my mom from new york,dad from new york,grandparents from new york,im from new york...

kskerr
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
You are such and english dork :p lol! We tend to call it soda (though some say pop and occasionally I will) where I am from, my aunt in IN calls it coke, that always weirds me out. When I interviewed in Oklahoma a waitress asked someone I was with what she wanted and she said a coke, and the waitress asked what kind and she did not bat an eye but listed some kind of soda. To us if you ask for a coke you get one of two things, a coke or the waitress telling you they have pepsi products not coke. Not sure how y'all came up with calling all soda coke... I was not sure where that wierd accent your dad has came from, warshing lol! I'll have to pay attention and see if any of my Michigan reletives talk like that.

My favorite undergrad prof was from New York, she had mostly assimilated to our accent but sometimes the New Yorker would come out, and she still had the manner of speaking from NY so people thought she was evil but she was really a total sweetie once you figured out she was from the east coast/NY and they just sound like that.

mazuac
09-15-2006, 09:26 PM
i am from Arizona, and you can rarlelly here an accent. My mom is from Michigan and my dad from kentuky... so i have barelly audible accent. but i could trick you into thinking i was from England, i can make myself ha ve such a pure english and indian accent :)

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 07:18 AM
i thick my 3rd cousin once removed is from nebraska...

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Not sure how y'all came up with calling all soda coke...

It's like how all facial tissues are called "Kleenex" (which is a name brand) and how all cotton swabs are called "Q-Tips" (again a name brand).

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 11:54 AM
i dont call all soda coke.

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 12:13 PM
Because you're from New York.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 02:04 PM
i call all soda coke... i've never once used the term, soda...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
ok.because im from neqw york.and they are weird.i understand you entirly...

mazuac
09-16-2006, 02:05 PM
lol, i am staying away from all forms of spininch... i don't wanna die !?!?

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:06 PM
hate it anyway.is it in new york?

mazuac
09-16-2006, 02:07 PM
i dunno.... kskerr might know though...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:09 PM
i hope not!!!!!!!!!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 02:46 PM
It's like how all facial tissues are called "Kleenex" (which is a name brand) and how all cotton swabs are called "Q-Tips" (again a name brand).

Yeah but all those are pretty much the same thing, there are different varieties of soda... :)

kskerr
09-16-2006, 02:47 PM
hate it anyway.is it in new york?

I posted on the topic, yes there has been at least one case in NY, not sure where and how many since the article focused on Wisconsin because there have been quite a few cases there and the one death.

Sariss
09-16-2006, 02:48 PM
I'd like to see a tapeworm like Echinococcus granulosus. It's not exactly a microbe, but it would be nice to see. :)

kskerr
09-16-2006, 03:27 PM
They are interesting organisms. There is talk of using them as a vaccine against allergies.

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 04:17 PM
id love one of those.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:17 PM
r u serious???!!!??? perhaps there is still hope of me breathing again! lol...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 07:18 PM
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:19 PM
HURAY!!! i hope it comes out, but 4 now, i am stuck with the pills... which are so small i don't need water to tak eit down:)

i'm a big boy now...:)

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:11 PM
If you were talking to me then yes I was serious. I read about some research involving use of safe intestinal worms for the prevention of allergies. Allergies are caused by the human immune system attacking an allergen when it really should not. A current hypothesis is that since that immune response is the same as the one the body mounts against parasitic infections and the fact that people are living cleaner lives and therefore not exposed to said parasites that that is the cause of the improper response. If this is the case then it would stand to reason that ingesting parasites could prevent the immune system from attacking the wrong thing because it would have the right thing to attack. At least one group is looking at using intestinal worms from pigs which do not actually infest humans but pass through, so the person would not get sick but the immune system would still have a chance to react to it.

Sorry to say I am not sure that this treatment would work for those who already have allergies, it might only work as a preventative measure. For those already with allergies their immune system already recognises the allergen improperly and it might not change that even if it does encounter the parasite. This is a new area of research though so perhaps it will work as a treatment as well, I think it has some serious potential and some of the preliminary studies are showing serious promise. Not sure if it has made it to human studies yet, it takes a lot of time and money to get to that point, especially given most people's reaction to the thought of them or their child being fed worms... If I knew it were safe I would allow my child in such a study, the potential benefit is great enough in my opinion, allergies can be annoying at best, deadly at worst.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:15 PM
yes, i agree, your married??? congrats!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:41 PM
yes, i agree, your married??? congrats!

Where in the world did that come from? I don't even date, no time for such things being a grad student! Thanks though...

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Oh the child comment, I was refering to a hypothetical child not an actual child.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:44 PM
oh, lol, my bad...

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 12:28 AM
ok.because im from neqw york.and they are weird.i understand you entirly...

Well, no. Because New York has a different vernacular (way of speaking which includes phrases and sayings) than states like Texas, Michigan, etc.

Do you call those long deli sandwiches "hoagies", "po'boys", or "subs"?

Do you "take" the train to work, or do you "ride" the train to work?

Do you drink "soda", "pop" "cola" or "coke"?

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 07:03 AM
subs,soda,and take.but yes,there are very strange people here...:rolleyes:

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 03:12 PM
I call them "sandwiches", I "ride" the rain, and I drink "coke".

It's all in where you come from.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 03:25 PM
i call them subs... "mom are we eating SUBS tonight?" lol

kskerr
09-17-2006, 04:16 PM
If it is on a sub roll then it is a sub, a hoagie is on a hoagie bun/roll, both kind of bread are sold at my local grocery, I tend to go for subs myself... Generally I take the bus :).

mazuac
09-17-2006, 04:17 PM
oh, i have never heard of a hoagie, oh, and did the tornadoe hurt any of you lab equipment or anythign>?

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 06:00 PM
yes,did it?

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:01 PM
oh, i have never heard of a hoagie, oh, and did the tornadoe hurt any of you lab equipment or anythign>?

I have not been into lab yet today, might go in tonight to take out some plates, but I have not heard anything about the campus or town getting hit and a tornado would be pretty big news. For sure when I get monday's paper I should find out if there were any in the area. I did see South Dakato had some twisters (state over) as did Minnasota and it looks like a girl got killed up there (they are the state above Iowa). We were under like 3 overlaping tornado watch/warnings but that does not mean that we would get one just that we could. The storm blew through, winds were very strong but I do not see any damage out my window. It was a rather loud storm and it did rumble for quite awhile, knocked my pictures over on the coffee and end tables. This state only gets like 23 or so tornados a year. I am more concerned with the fact that it caused a 20 degree temp drop and that it looks like first frost might be this week (depending on whose forcast you believe). I hate cold!

mazuac
09-17-2006, 07:04 PM
lol, then don't come up to michigan in the winter!

kskerr
09-17-2006, 07:49 PM
lol, then don't come up to michigan in the winter!

We had one last october that hit town. Normally october is a slow month but there were like 10-20 I think over the state. We are in tornado alley and all...

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
WOW! you gey tornados alot?

kskerr
09-17-2006, 08:01 PM
WOW! you gey tornados alot?

No, the state gets on average about 23 a year.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:11 PM
which is a lot compared to lets say... california, or new york. But to texas... HAHAHAH to Texas! omg, there probably going, HA 23, we get 2000000!

kskerr
09-17-2006, 08:24 PM
which is a lot compared to lets say... california, or new york. But to texas... HAHAHAH to Texas! omg, there probably going, HA 23, we get 2000000!

Texas is HUGE, of course they get more. We are about in the middle in the tornado rankings, more towards the top then the bottom in number.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 08:27 PM
michigan doesn't get many tornadoes/....

kskerr
09-17-2006, 09:08 PM
No, something to be thankful for! They showed a pic of that poor little girl, she was only 10, adorable kid, the house collapsed and she was stuck in there overnight and did not make it :( :( :(

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 10:53 PM
Texas is HUGE, of course they get more. We are about in the middle in the tornado rankings, more towards the top then the bottom in number.

It really depends on *where* in Texas you are. We've had a couple very small ones touch doen in Houston, but nothing incredibly wild like in, say, Kansas.

kskerr
09-18-2006, 01:13 PM
It really depends on *where* in Texas you are. We've had a couple very small ones touch doen in Houston, but nothing incredibly wild like in, say, Kansas.

Then there is that town in Oklahoma that seems to get hit every year. Looks like the cold front is mostly getting you guys wet down there, flooding instead of tornados. Sometimes flooding is worse though, especially if it involves sewage mixing with the water and potentially contaminating drinking water.

Speaking of contamination, ISU lost to U of I, that made the front page, the Iowans here are devastated (well the cyclone fans, the U of I fans are thrilled), not one mention of the epidemic on the front page. Not gone through the entire paper yet, I would hope it at least gets a mention though, somewhere! Just because there have not been any reported cases in Iowa does not mean that it should be ignored, this is big news, and you never know, it could still spread here, or someone could go out of state, as people here often do, and pick it up there because they do not know to be careful... Iowans are nutty sometimes.

mazuac
09-18-2006, 03:09 PM
are you talking about the e coli. outbreak?

kskerr
09-18-2006, 06:25 PM
are you talking about the e coli. outbreak?

Yes, I went through the entire paper and they did not mention the E. coli epidemic once, had an article about the football game they lost to the big rival school... Kinda nutty and pathetic. They have not confirmed the second death being part of the epidemic yet, but it is most likely the case, a little toddler in Ohio, so sad :(!

mazuac
09-19-2006, 05:35 PM
oh, that is horrible! :( but it is part of life... people live and people die, it is gods way of telling us something...