PDA

View Full Version : the place where microphiles talk about random microbe stuff

Tuburculosis
08-31-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi,i have 16 microbes,all the health,all alementaries,a fewcalamaties,exotics,critters,and maladies:) im geting TB and mad cow soon.:D

Giardia
09-03-2006, 12:16 PM
I have them all:D

kskerr
09-03-2006, 12:53 PM
I am also a memeber of the "Have them All" society, sounds like you are well on your way to joining us TB, until they come out with more then none of us will be members anymore for awhile. It's like the mile high club but less dirty (and no I am not explaining that if you don't know what it means already)!

Tuburculosis
09-03-2006, 01:45 PM
(and no I am not explaining that if you don't know what it means already)!

ok.i dont know and probobly dont want to :rolleyes:.
also,ive read the whole fourom:rolleyes: ,i knew you two whould be the first to respond:D:p

Gadolin
09-03-2006, 05:15 PM
I had them all, but my dogs unfortunately got yeast, mono, and dust mite.:(

Tuburculosis
09-04-2006, 11:10 AM
I had them all, but my dogs unfortunately got yeast, mono, and dust mite.:(

my dog could never chew them up,he is tiny,and anyway,i keep them away from him.:D

kskerr
09-04-2006, 02:53 PM
Hah, all you needed to do it look at the member list and see that we have posted like a million times each :p! People have shot dogs for lesser crimes :eek:... This is why fish are waaaay better than dogs, my fish have never dreamed of chewing my microbes, they stay away from them like good little critters too! Hmm that makes me think, microbe fish ornaments :D!!!!

Tuburculosis
09-04-2006, 05:12 PM
yup,you two hijack every single little thread,and fish are boring:p ,dont insult dogs!:rolleyes: ;) :eek:

kskerr
09-05-2006, 05:52 PM
Wasn't insulting your beloved mammalian pets, just saying my aquatics are better for the above mentioned reasons, plus they do not drool and they do not make landmines or bark... Fish are soothing and can be highly amusing, some of mine have personalities and everything, spoiled rotten brats too, snub food worse than cats sometimes :rolleyes:!

Tuburculosis
09-05-2006, 07:06 PM
yahyahyah,blahblahblah,

i dont like coleslaw,or ant slaw;)

i told my freinds at school about giant microbs,they :D ~~LOVED THEM~~:D

my freind emma has more then me!:eek:

Tuburculosis
09-05-2006, 07:26 PM
i want athletes foot slippers!!!!!!!:( :D :o :eek:

Tuburculosis
09-05-2006, 07:28 PM
im warning all of you,soon,not now,mabye in a few weeks at most,i will make a VERY VERY VERY big post.:o :rolleyes: :eek: :p

Tuburculosis
09-06-2006, 02:58 PM
did you hear steve irwin died?:eek::eek:

i want a microbes room,with wall paper,curtians,bed,sheets,blanket,closet,plushie chair,normal chair,and more!:D :D

Tuburculosis
09-08-2006, 03:03 PM
plz wait 4 seconds...

Giardia
09-08-2006, 07:31 PM
I know! It's so sad! He was so awesome! Damn that sting ray!

kskerr
09-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Yes it is very sad, poor kids without a daddy now :(

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 07:10 AM
soon,very soon,i will make a HUGE post...:D
and yes,its very sad about steve.:( :(

Giardia
09-09-2006, 11:23 AM
and Terri a widow. And no more crazy austrailian guy:( :( :( :(

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 01:02 PM
:( :( :( :(

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 04:03 PM
its sad:( the news is everywhere though!

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 04:27 PM
to cheer you up,read my prophile,i chan ged where i live,not that i moved,but i made a mistake in where i live:eek: :D ;) :o

kskerr
09-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Potatoes only talk in Idaho, you do not live in Idaho...

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 08:14 AM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: WAT?

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 09:07 AM
ok,you know im joking,i know your joking,but they dont only talk in idaho,;) :) :D :rolleyes:

Giardia
09-10-2006, 10:36 AM
My gosh...you Americans confuse me more then our spelling confuses you!

kskerr
09-10-2006, 02:21 PM
Idaho is the biggest potato producing state (if you did not know that), in fact it is the only state with a potato reputation, that is the first and often only thing people think of when Idaho is brought up. So that would be the reasoning for my comment, I can't begin to reason out TB....

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:13 PM
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

kskerr
09-10-2006, 03:34 PM
What you didn't know that potatoes come from Idaho like cheese and milk tend to come from Wisconsin (biggest dairy state), pork comes from Iowa... Goodness what is that Long Island school system teaching :eek:! Don't expect Giardia to know all this considering she has her own country to learn about but someone in the US...

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 07:23 PM
i know idaho has potatos,and wisconcsan dairy,there is nothing wrong with scools here:mad:

kskerr
09-11-2006, 12:51 AM
I am relieved then, you never know, there are people graduating high school in inner city Chicago that do not know how to read or write :eek:! How am I to know how advanced the third grade education is in Long Island...

Tuburculosis
09-11-2006, 02:12 PM
im not 3rd grade!:mad:

Tuburculosis
09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Pollock II
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I am relieved then, you never know, there are people graduating high school in inner city Chicago that do not know how to read or write :eek:! How am I to know how advanced the third grade education is in Long Island...

I read somewhere that 50% of high school kids either never learn about the Holocaust... It's astounding.

I also read an article recently in which a journalist discussed his displeasure at grad students who didn't know what "impetus" meant. Not to mention the words, "lucid', "ramshackle", "advocate" (the verb and the noun), "derelict", "satire", "pith", "brevity", and "novel" were unfamiliar to students with 3.5 GPAs and higher.

kskerr
09-12-2006, 03:00 AM
Hmm a 2nd grader would likely be honored if I estimated high and a first grader would have even worse grammer so I'll have to go with 4th or 5th. Using Giardia as a standard for the level a 12/13 (or is it 13/14 now) year old should write at, though perhaps that is not fair, Canada might have a better system than LI and she does seem quite advanced...

Tuburculosis
09-12-2006, 03:00 PM
LI is fin,if you hav the write scooll!;)

mazuac
09-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Wasn't insulting your beloved mammalian pets, just saying my aquatics are better for the above mentioned reasons, plus they do not drool and they do not make landmines or bark... Fish are soothing and can be highly amusing, some of mine have personalities and everything, spoiled rotten brats too, snub food worse than cats sometimes :rolleyes:!

hah hahahahha ha, mammilian pets! wooooooooooo.... yeah

kskerr
09-13-2006, 12:02 AM
;) :p. Ghost shrimp are the best, they are so cute, I adore them :D.

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:15 PM
ghost shrimp!:) :) :) :)

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
ghost shrimP?????:confused:

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
i dont know wat they are,but they sound so cute!:p

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
i agree with you:)

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 08:24 PM
LI is fin,if you hav the write scooll!;)

The *right* school... clearly there is one out there lacking in proper spelling education.

kskerr
09-13-2006, 10:22 PM
The *right* school... clearly there is one out there lacking in proper spelling education.

Thank you, that grammer is bad even by my standards!!! I worry greatly about that school system, think I learned the difference between write and right before 4th grade (probably before 3rd)! But then my school system was one of the best public in the state of IL, and not in NY...

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 11:45 PM
My elementary school switched to year-round schooling (since we were one of the best in the area) the semester after I moved out of the district. I then moved overseas and went to an acclaimed international school in Saudi Arabia. Then I came back to the states, went to another incredible elementary school (to finish up 4th and 5th grade). Our middle school won several academic awards, as did my high school. In fact, out of the top 100 high schools in the nation, my school was not only in the top 5, but it was only one of 2 in Texas to be selected.

Not to mention that my parents drilled education into me even before I was entered into the school system. My grandmother and grandfather on my mom's side were teachers, and my mom was constantly volunteering at libraries.

It's one of the main reasons I'm looking forward to being a teacher; the atrocious educational system that children are subjected to today. I'm going to make sure that spelling is an essential lesson, as well as literature, because knowing that there are children who don't like to read is gutwrenching.

kskerr
09-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Scary are the ones that get their high school diploma and can't read and write!!!! There is something very wrong with that! Too much attention is put on the kiddy's self-esteem, gives them a very unrealistic view of how the world works, bosses don't give a crap if you feel good about yourself, they only care that you do a good job, if it is not good enough you are fired. Terrifying is I hear college students whining about how they should get an A since they paid tuition, how messed up is that!!! I get so mad when I hear stuff like that, without having an incentive to do good laziness prevails and most people do not study and learn the material, then they are screwed later when they need that knowledge, and any institution that adopts such a practice would be worthless on the resume, "They went to U of Whatever, that is a diploma mill, next candidate!" Sounds like you have a very good background and will make an awesome teacher. You should move to and teach in my area if I have offspring :D!

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 05:35 PM
Did you see my post where I mentioned an article that discussed how there are many grad students that don't know the deifnitioin of simple words like "advocate" and "novel"?

Just because you pay about $900 -$1,000 for a single class doesn't mean that you're going to get an A for spending that much money. If anything, you should work harder in more expensive classes to get your money's worth. If you want to screw around and skip class, then find somewhere that lets you take classes for $10 so you don't really lose any money.

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Thank you, that grammer is bad even by my standards!!! I worry greatly about that school system, think I learned the difference between write and right before 4th grade (probably before 3rd)! But then my school system was one of the best public in the state of IL, and not in NY...
i was joking about the spelling,if you are talking about my post,ok?

kskerr
09-14-2006, 10:31 PM
i was joking about the spelling,if you are talking about my post,ok?

One sentence was joking, the rest...

kskerr
09-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Did you see my post where I mentioned an article that discussed how there are many grad students that don't know the deifnitioin of simple words like "advocate" and "novel"?

Just because you pay about $900 -$1,000 for a single class doesn't mean that you're going to get an A for spending that much money. If anything, you should work harder in more expensive classes to get your money's worth. If you want to screw around and skip class, then find somewhere that lets you take classes for $10 so you don't really lose any money.

I don't remember that one off the top of my head but it is very scarey! Novel is a big bus word in my field, everything is novel. I went to an undergrad that for a summer class I paid $550 per hour, it was about $16,000 a year when I started and up over $19,000 when I finished, I worked my butt off to make sure I got my money's worth and it is a great school with some tough courses to weed out the crap students. One day a jerk sent out an e-mail to everyone and blasted several professors (though gave kudos to one I adored) because they fail students when they do not pass the tests (novel concept I know). Blathered on about how we are paying all this tuition so we should not be failed but get an A. I did not actually read the e-mail, talked about it with my prof and another guy who did since they took it out of the mailboxes as soon as it was discovered (he violated the rules sending it as a bulk I think, only clubs and such were allowed to do so), but I was truely outraged. The whole point of going to that school is that they are respected and the degree you come out with is respected, if they catered to people like him it would turn my beloved undergrad into a diploma mill and the only reason my investment would not be a complete waste at this point is that I will have my doc at a reputable university, my undergrad degree would be worthless! You don't spend thousands of dollars to buy a degree, you pay thousands of dollars to earn a degree, big difference, if you can't pass organic chemistry (a truely evil class used to week out premeds that should not be premeds) then you should not be a doctor and I would not want you as my doctor and you would never make it through medical school (yes the guy was a premed wannabe).

Side note, I do not recommend summer class, it is evil!

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:41 AM
Our English and Grammar programs probably aren't much better than in the US...I just choose to read the dictionary and plenty of advanced literature to amuse myself...by the age of six I was using the word antidisestablishmentarianism in sentences. Therefore, i am probably ahead of the required ability for Gr. 8 English.

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Our English and Grammar programs probably aren't much better than in the US...I just choose to read the dictionary and plenty of advanced literature to amuse myself...by the age of six I was using the word antidisestablishmentarianism in sentences. Therefore, i am probably ahead of the required ability for Gr. 8 English.

I know a girl still in high school and they received a 6 page book list of classic literature. She's in an AP English class (Advanced Placement), and both she and I were disgusted to hear that not only do very few people in that class read for fun, but all but 4 kids had heard of the authors on that list. People were like "Who's Bronte? Who's Vonnegut?"

Hence why I want to be a teacher. I know that when these morons grow up and have offspring it will be my job to teach them, and I'm going to make sure that they know far more than their parents.

By the time I was in 7th grade I was reading at a college exit level (from what the reading tests said). I've probably been reading chapter books and such since I was 4-ish.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 01:17 PM
I did not learn of those ones too much until end of high school or in college, and did not really care to too much to be honest, I am rather focused on my area. I have always read for fun since learning to read, which I did in 1st grade, funny I went from 0 to 84 pretty much overnight, was at 0 for awhile though, it did not click at first but when it did I went from one of the bottom of the class to one of the top. Then they put me in enrichment reading for a few years, did not continue any of that kind of thing in jr high or high school. I was usually several years ahead in reading comprehension but that is what you get when you read because you enjoy reading and not only when you are forced to. My only problem was I could not just read the chapter(s) assigned when they were assigned, I would take it home and read the whole thing and then they ask prediction questions and I would not be able to make predictions since I knew what happened... That both impressed and annoyed my teachers.

I want my kid(s) to learn to read as early as possible, before they start elementary school even so around 4. If they start out advanced for their grade then they will be placed in the advanced programs and do the AP stuff and be totally breeze into the college of their choice. Just don't want to be evil, dictator mom who forces them and makes them hate it and resent me. Learning can be fun! They will so be spouting microbiology facts at a young age!!! My 3 year old niece can count to at least 10 I think and knows her abc's, very cute listening to her sing it, you can tell if she is in a lazy mood when she chops out the middle of the alphabet :p! A friend of mine's daughter learned to read at about 3-4, she had a leapfrog thing that taught her, her mother was amazed! Very smart kid, think they were debating jumping her up a grade (not sure if I would want that for my kid or not, would rather they be a little bored but an A student than a B or C student).

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, if you try to force learning on them they're not going to enjoy it. My parents were pretty good with that, and I know I'm going to really educate my child (when I have one), but I'm not going to be forceful and mean about it.

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 03:26 PM
kskerr the lenth of your posts is incredible!

kskerr
09-15-2006, 08:30 PM
You should see the length of my e-mails, especially to my mother.

mazuac
09-15-2006, 09:27 PM
and i agree kskerr, perhaps shortining them down to atleast 1 page would be nicer... lol... but no really :) then again your in college...

kskerr
09-15-2006, 10:56 PM
*cough *choke... That is rich, YOU telling ME how to post... If I shorten the intellectual discussion posts too much the only way to really do it is to either not fully explain important concepts which would make the post rather worthless or to use the technical terms for all of them (and there are quite a few) but then the only ones that would be able to understand what I was saying would be upper level college students and beyond in the sciences. Being as I am talking mostly to an english major and an advanced 12 year old Canadian that would be rather pointless now wouldn't it. If you do not like our intellectual, or deap scholorly thinking as my advanced food micro prof likes to say, discussions then you do not have to read or post in them, we have plenty of threads about more trivial subjects.

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
if he had his way,we would all be posting PIE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!PIE!!!!!!!PIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 08:25 AM
no offence muzuac....:o

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:59 AM
lol, i wasn;t telling... i was offering... YOU SHORTENED IT, GO KSKERR!!! :p

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:02 AM
shorted it?

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:05 AM
what, guess what!?!? e/.colli has now spread to 19 states :eek: :eek:

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:06 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:07 AM
yup, plz not be michigan...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:08 AM
not new york,is it?

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:09 AM
i dunno, i am practicing my alto. sax playing the song hatkivah :) srry off topic... but e.colil might have spread to michigan b//c we have very fertile land...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:10 AM
ok,i hope not new york(though i consider long island a whole state,it is part of new york)

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:11 AM
yeah, hope you don't get it... or me... or anyone whoi is nice...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:12 AM
and likes pie...sorry kskerr and pollock for talking about pie!

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:14 AM
lol, yes, you know what would be bad :) !?!? if pie was infected with e.coli !?!?:eek: ha! see, i was on topic with using pie :)

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:15 AM
if it infected apple,wich go in pie!

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:16 AM
yeah, thats would be HORRIBLE! stop it stop it, noooooooooo

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
lol, yess, that would scary:):eek:

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
it would!:( :eek:

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:34 AM
:) hatikav!

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:35 AM
wat?:confused:

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 09:39 AM
ok,why did you put that?

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:40 AM
b/c it roks my soks :)

mazuac
09-16-2006, 09:41 AM
i g2g, bye...

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 11:58 AM
For The Love Of God!!! Please Use A Messaging Service Like Aim Or Msn And Stop Clogging Up This Place!!!

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 11:58 AM
wat?1 i dont use those.ok?

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 12:19 PM
Then use the private message function that this forum offers, because we're all sick of telling you and Alex to stop. I came on this forum to have fun, not babysit.

kskerr
09-16-2006, 01:33 PM
I agree with Pollock (but then we all know where I stand). They did bring up an important issue though, the recent muli-state E. coli epidemic. So far there are 19 states known to be infected, they are: California, Connecticut, Idaho, Indiana, Kentucky, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, New Mexico, Nevada, New York, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. There have been at least 94 cases in this outbreak according to the CDC, 1 death was an elderly lady in Wisconsin. This outbreak is being caused by the 0157:H7 strain, as most are. They have linked it bagged spinach and to at least one grower in California and a recall has been issued for several brands. The advice of the CDC is to toss or boil all bagged spinach, do NOT eat it uncooked.

E. coli has been found on apples before, there have been research studies at my institution about that. If the apples are going into pie then they will be baked and therefore the pie should be safe. A person eating the raw apples or the person baking the pie would be most at risk.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 02:00 PM
i am starting to un-clog... and NO, it hads spread 2 michigan... :eek: thats horrible :O

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:01 PM
e coli?it did?

mazuac
09-16-2006, 02:02 PM
thats what kskerr said...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:11 PM
o no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 02:51 PM
It is cause for concern but I think they have it under control at this point, there could end up being more cases since it takes time to get them reported but it sounds like they have found and are containing the source (the spinach) so this one is likely over unless there is another source as well or people who already bought it do not get the message in time.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
i went to google news and it said that all stores have removed begged spininch from the shelves:) hurray!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:31 PM
That is what recall means, you take it off the shelves and try to get people who bought it to bring or send it back.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:31 PM
oh, kool... i guess

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 12:22 AM
I was at my boyfriend's place tonight and he had a bag of spinach from California in his fridge. We chucked it in the trash.

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 07:06 AM
its i new york!:eek: two people died,not one.

EDIT: For those of you who have read up to here, I deeply apologize for loss of brain cells from reading my posts. Wow, I forgot how immature I was back then...

mazuac
09-17-2006, 03:28 PM
oh, that stinks... wow, i would have burned the spincih... it would have been more fun... but thats just me...