PDA

View Full Version : Microbes on my Mind

Pollock
08-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't know about you guys, but I find myself thinking about my little plush friends randomly throughout the day, like when I'm eating chicken in the school cafeteria, I think of dear little salmonella, and e. coli. Or when I watch the track team run on campus, I think of athelete's foot.

Today I thought of Flu.

We were learning about Bird Flu vs. influenza in my Human Bio class today, and I kept thinking about little Flu sitting comfortably on my bed back in my dorm.

What makes you think of your Microbes?

kskerr
08-30-2006, 09:58 PM
I think of microbes pretty much all day long, I am in food microbiology, advanced food microbiology, microbiology seminar, and oh yes I work as a microbiologist :D! Of course I am generally not thinking about the plush variety, those I generally think about when I am in my office and they are in front of me or when I visit the building that houses the microbiology office and there are some in the undergrad micro club's display boxes since they sell them as a fundraiser. I usually am not too concerned about microbes in my food, I went all paranoid for awhile when I first learned about the food borne pathogens but have since calmed down and just try not to be stupid but not worry. Sometimes I think people are better off not knowing some things because then they get all nutty and upset and there is really no need to, like there are bacteria on the washed fruit you eat, so what, the likelihood that they are pathogens is rather low, and even if there were there would have to be enough of them to make a healthy adult get sick! The flu is actually a pretty interesting bug for a virus, I enjoyed learning about that one in virology last semester.

Pollock
08-31-2006, 08:13 PM
I remember I once told someone that you can have good and bad bacteria in your mouth (since the good kind is beneficial) and she flipped out screaming, "There's no such thing!!" and I think she still brushes her teeth 5 times a day because of it.

Tuburculosis
08-31-2006, 08:17 PM
hi,im new to the forum,i have 16 microbes now.:) :D

Tuburculosis
08-31-2006, 08:28 PM
also,how do you get an avatar? i dont have one,but i would if i knew how.
thanks.:confused: ohh,and some people have things after their posts,likekskkers is ~~nonpathogontic microbes are our freinds~~,or somthing like that,is that just a thing you type eack time,or what.is it automatic?:confused: :confused::D

Tuburculosis
08-31-2006, 08:42 PM
i fiugured out how,nevermind:D :)

kskerr
09-02-2006, 02:50 AM
What a freak, more bacteria are good than bad!!! She likely doesn't know that yogurt is made with bacteria and if it is truely yogurt it is supposed to contain live and active cultures!!!

Giardia
09-03-2006, 12:15 PM
active bacterial cultures...yummmm

kskerr
09-03-2006, 12:50 PM
:confused: OK something weird is going on with this forum, this is the second time I have been in a thread that TB has posted on supposedly before me, this time I KNOW it was not there when I saw the thread and responded, even if it were the day I stayed up all night and worked 15 hours the next day (fun times) I still would not have missed three posts! :confused:

I love my active bacterial cultures :D, they come out of the incubator today and I get my results from this insane week's study, I am extremely excited about it, may have made a significant discovery :D. Hope my beloved PI thinks so!

Tuburculosis
09-04-2006, 05:17 PM
haha!!!!!!!!:cool: i dont know why either,:confused: :confused: :o

Pollock
09-04-2006, 09:47 PM
What a freak, more bacteria are good than bad!!! She likely doesn't know that yogurt is made with bacteria and if it is truely yogurt it is supposed to contain live and active cultures!!!

I love yogurt! And I actually do know people who won't eat it because it's a live culture. I keep trying to tell them that it's good for them, but they say that it's disgusting to eat bacteria.

kskerr
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
Tell them not to eat salad, fruit, vegetables, meat unless it is cooked pretty much literally to a crisp, ect. They should also not drink water, even boiled water, or milk or pretty much anything. Even if they had a sterile food sorce, which is unlikely since most foods can have something in it, may not be growing but is there, there are still bacteria on their dishes (even "clean" ones). Even the washed ready to eat salad has a ton of bugs on it, in the 1-10 million range as I recall from a lab I did as an undergrad, and they are not healthy bugs like those found in yogurt, some of them are potential pathogens (very unlikely to make you sick kind so don't get all paranoid). Bacteria are everywhere, can't avoid them, people are just more aware of them than they used to be and that freaks them out, I find it amusing but at the same time am concerned with the lack of education of the general public and the irresponsable actions of the media, they sensationalise these studies that are often not even conducted right and even the ones that are they do not give any perspective, just scare the crap out of microphobic public and make my kind's job harder :mad:!

kskerr
09-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Oh and it is pretty much impossible to get all the bacteria off the salad and such, rather pointless too!

Tuburculosis
09-05-2006, 07:17 PM
salad yum!

i wash of fruits,but i would eat them anyway if i didnt have water,i dont see why pseople make such a ~~~~~~:eek: :D ~~HUGE~~:D :eek:~~~~~~ fuss about it...

Pollock
09-05-2006, 09:21 PM
I tried to explain that to them, but they're sort of close-minded, so I gave up and went back to eating my delicious yogurt. Mmmm.... Hooray for delicious bacteria!

kskerr
09-05-2006, 11:20 PM
I don't actually like yogurt really, I try to force myself to eat it a bit since I know it is so good for me. I got 34 bottles of yogurt smoothie today, they are for my research and not consumption thankfully!

I have the magic bullet and so am thinking about trying to make fruit smoothie things with yogurt, drown out the yogurt flavor with fruit or something and then I can eat it :D!

Tuburculosis
09-06-2006, 02:38 PM
i hate yogurt:p :p :p :p ,but not because of germs.

Tuburculosis
09-07-2006, 06:32 PM
acctually,its entirly about that it is a close relitive to che*se:eek: .yuck,c*eese!:rolleyes: :o :eek:

Giardia
09-07-2006, 10:13 PM
I LOVE CHEESE! I only like lemon yogurt.

Tuburculosis
09-08-2006, 03:01 PM
chee*e is a bad word!thats how horrable Ch**eseyness is!:mad: :rolleyes: :D :p

Giardia
09-08-2006, 07:33 PM
nice:D :D :D cheese is still good to me!

kskerr
09-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Cheese in general is very good, I might work at incorporating my research organism into it then it will be even better for you :D!!!

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 07:08 AM
bleck,chees*,:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Giardia
09-09-2006, 11:24 AM
I like cheddar, mozzarella, and Romano cheeses best

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 12:47 PM
ack!!!!! Chedder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!nooooooooooooooooo!:ee k: :eek: :eek: :eek:

kskerr
09-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Munster rocks, cheddar (not the fancy ones though), mozzeralla, coby are all great too. American is disgusting, as are most of the moldy ones, though there is one that is ok, camembert (that is likely spelled wrong) it has a different kind of mold which does not taste as nasty (heard it is penecillium, guess what that mold makes...).

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 03:33 PM
all ch*ese is BAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:p :p :p :p
Edit from more than a year later: wow. i was really pathetic back then. Ive changed... cheese. see? I said it.

kskerr
09-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I went through a anti-cheese phase, ended a few years ago, would only eat mozzerella. Also found that mushrooms, which I would only eat raw in the past, are delicious cooked now. Some things have not changed though, still think green peppers are nasty, don't like mustard either.

Tuburculosis
09-09-2006, 03:56 PM
I went through a anti-cheese phase, ended a few years ago, still think green peppers are nasty, don't like mustard either.
dont like green peppers,or musterd.i hate ALL *hese,not just some

Giardia
09-10-2006, 10:48 AM
i only like mushrooms raw, and some times, SOMETIMES on pizza (but almost never).

kskerr
09-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Except for the part about the pizza since I despised them cooked on anything and everything I was like that for 21 years, then all of a sudden I liked them cooked. My mom is thrilled since before she had to either make them on the side for people to add or listen to me complain about having to pick them out of whatever and throw a fit when I accidentally bit one (was being a drama queen to annoy her in attempt to have them on the side the next time).

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 03:05 PM
bad mushroom,MUSHroom;)

kskerr
09-10-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm addicted to them now, especially portabella, that kind rocks. Botton (the white ones most people use) are not as good and have a rubbery texture, though I will still eat them. I've somewhat converted my mother to the porties, though they don't cook quite the same so it is taking her some getting used to. I just will not eat the canned ones, those are nasty, possibly a big reason why I did not like cooked mushrooms since my mom tended to use those most since they are cheap and only get fresh if it was special or they were on sale.

Pollock
09-10-2006, 06:53 PM
I love Gouda cheese, and Edam. Of course, being from Texas I have a soft spot for cheddar, but it has to be sharp cheddar.

I love vanilla, coffee, and peach yogurt, especially if it's the whipped yogurt. Mmmmmmm.

I am in love with mushrooms! I eat them raw, sauteed, on pizza, in omlettes, and cooked into things. I even love stuffed mushroom caps! (I have a great recipe for them.)

Tuburculosis
09-10-2006, 07:17 PM
No Chedder!plz try again in 1 second...

kskerr
09-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I have discovered sharp cheddar can be good, though not hoffman's, that brand makes awful cheddar! What do you stuff the caps with? I love to saute them and often turn it into gravy to throw on top of meat and or noodles. Also discovered grilling them, with a good steak <drool>! I tried making tuna melts with portie caps once, it did not work too well since they had too much moisture so it was a bit of a mess, but then I started with raw caps, I think if I threw them in a pan and cooked them first then topped them it would be very good.

kskerr
09-11-2006, 12:21 AM
Cheddar is very yummy, as are most cheeses I eat, in twice (aka double) baked potatoes. My mom made them quite a few years ago since we had company (something that was very rare) and I fell in love with them and made her teach me how to make them. I don't like baked potatoes but adore double baked! Sometimes I convert mashed potatoes into them. :D

Tuburculosis
09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
yum,i love baked potatos

Pollock II
09-11-2006, 10:28 PM
I have discovered sharp cheddar can be good, though not hoffman's, that brand makes awful cheddar! What do you stuff the caps with? I love to saute them and often turn it into gravy to throw on top of meat and or noodles. Also discovered grilling them, with a good steak <drool>! I tried making tuna melts with portie caps once, it did not work too well since they had too much moisture so it was a bit of a mess, but then I started with raw caps, I think if I threw them in a pan and cooked them first then topped them it would be very good.

I usually do it the easy way and fill 'em with somthing like turkey stuffing or I make my own seasoned croutons and stick 'em in there. I love to grill mushrooms because then you don't get drippy funny smelling mushies, but flavorful mushies with an even texture. <3 (I call mushrooms mushies for short).

I have a great (and incredibly simple) recipe for croutons, if you'd like me to share it.

Pollock II
09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Cheddar is very yummy, as are most cheeses I eat, in twice (aka double) baked potatoes. My mom made them quite a few years ago since we had company (something that was very rare) and I fell in love with them and made her teach me how to make them. I don't like baked potatoes but adore double baked! Sometimes I convert mashed potatoes into them. :D

Twice baked are the way to go! More flavor and a smoother texture.

Pollock II
09-11-2006, 10:48 PM
Back to the topic of this page... we're learning about cells and their functions in my Bio class, and my professor has a habit of going off on tangents.

His tangents today included talking about antibiotic overloads causing Thrush (so I thought of yeast) and cilia and flagella and their functions (so I thought of all the little microbes with cilia and flagella/flagellum).

kskerr
09-12-2006, 02:51 AM
With cheese and onions mashed in (with some butter and milk) and toasted until the top is golden, mmmm!!!! Plain = blech!

Tuburculosis
09-12-2006, 03:01 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Pollock II
09-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Kskerr, you know how to do it! Do you ever put chives or another herb/spice on your twice bakes?

TB, we're now fully aware of your dislike for cheese. Please stop.

kskerr
09-12-2006, 11:11 PM
Tried something new today, made mashed potatoes yesterday with half an onion cooked and mashed in with the spuds, it was very yummy, today I threw two slices of muenster on top and nuked it, heavenly! Muenster is one of the yummiest cheeses :D!!!

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 10:08 AM
My boyfriend loves Munster. I have to really be in the mood for it.

Here's a quick meal (with mushrooms and potatoes!) for you to try:

Shred some zucchini, and dice some red pepper. Cook some red potatoes (like you would prepare them for mashing...) Slice up some mushrooms.

Sautee the zucchini, peppers, and mushrooms while the potatoes are cooking.

When the potatoes are tender, throw a few into the sautee pan with the other veggies. Leave it in just long enough for the potatoes to fall apart a little bit while you're stirring them.

Serve. <3

mazuac
09-13-2006, 05:24 PM
i only like mushrooms raw, and some times, SOMETIMES on pizza (but almost never).

i don't even eat cheese on my pizza...

mazuac
09-13-2006, 05:26 PM

ask them if they freak out when they get vaccinations... :)

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:03 PM
:) :) :d :d

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:08 PM
lol, i used to freak out when i got vaccinations. But now i think of all the good stuff they do for us... i love it when i get vaccinated!

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:10 PM
i hate vacinations!!!!!!!!

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:12 PM
lol, weird, i think they help a lot. i don't look at the needles and think of all the wonderful things that the flu shot is doing for me;)

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:14 PM
bad vaccination.i dont like the neddles.

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:17 PM
lol, everyone doesn't like something, i have gotten used to it... and when the flue shortage came i was excited about it!

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:20 PM
i hate neddles.and cheese

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:22 PM
lol, i can agree with you on cheese:) HA, i go through cheese likey and cheese dislikey phazes!

Tuburculosis
09-13-2006, 07:23 PM
i always hated chesse since i was 5,im 10 now.

mazuac
09-13-2006, 07:25 PM
oh, coolio, i am 12 :) i like pie

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 08:38 PM
I'm 21. I think cheese is wonderful (because it's healthy and delicious), and I think vaccinations are an incredible invention, despite my fear of syringes. I'd rather have to suffer for a single minute with a vaccination than suffer for a lifetime or die from a dibilitating disease. What's 5 seconds of discomfort compared to living dependent on a machine or living in consant pain or dying?

kskerr
09-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Being a microbiologist and all I of course advocate vaccinations and think people who do not vaccinate their children should be shot... All those religous fanatics are full of bollocks, if God didn't want vaccinations to exist then they would not be or something like that... Prevention is better than treatment, wish there were more vaccinations! So many lives have been improved and saved due to the ones that are currently in use, millions for sure by now, potentially billions.

Hah I was right, elementary school, 4th or 5th grade (though still get the 2nd or 3rd grade vibe)!

Pollock II
09-13-2006, 11:55 PM
Indeed! There's a big thing now about parents freaking out because we're telling them that vaccinating their daughters for HPV now can prevent cervical cancer later. They're saying that it's best to innoculate girls at 12 years old, before they're sexually active (since that's how HPV is transmitted), and the parents freak out and say that the innoculation is basically a little sign telling young girls to go out and be sexually active because they're protected from a dangerous disease now.

To me it sends the message of "I don't love you enough to prevent you from getting a fatal cancer."

kskerr
09-14-2006, 12:51 AM
That is a ridiculous notion that vaccinating 12 year olds is saying you advocate them going out and sleeping around, if they did their job teaching them their morals or whatever they would not have to worry about it! Wonder if 8 is too early for it, surely the parents would not think their 8 year old would have that issue (though in this day and age...) Plus it is just one disease among many (most even worse than HPV, like oh HIV...) that someone could contract if not careful, don't they think of that, prevent at least one that we can! If I had a 12 year old daughter you better believe we'd be at the front of that line! Heck I plan to make sure my kids get every available vaccine even the ones that are not required! They should make that vaccine part of the school vaccinations, I'm all for freedoms and all that but this is a public health issue that uneducated idiots should not have a say in, even if they are the parents! Polio did not get eradicated from this country by not vaccinating... Besides she could get it from her future husband, you never know when it will be contracted and from whom, hence the having it at 12 thing. Wonder if the idiots would say the same if there was an HIV vaccine (which I hope there will be soon).

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 02:33 PM
5th grade kskerr,ok?how 4th?may 16s is birthday,i would normaly be in 5th grade.

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 05:40 PM
THe problem with requiring it for school enrollment is that parents are saying "You're making us go against our morals to get our child into school. You suck." And you better believe if I have a daughter one day, she will most certainly be getting this vaccination on her 12th birthday, along with "the talk". And you are right, there is a good chance that her future husband could give her HPV, and then what will her parents do? Blame the husband of course! Even though it could have EASILY been prevented with a teeny tiny needle prick when she was 12.

That is a ridiculous notion that vaccinating 12 year olds is saying you advocate them going out and sleeping around, if they did their job teaching them their morals or whatever they would not have to worry about it! Wonder if 8 is too early for it, surely the parents would not think their 8 year old would have that issue (though in this day and age...) Plus it is just one disease among many (most even worse than HPV, like oh HIV...) that someone could contract if not careful, don't they think of that, prevent at least one that we can! If I had a 12 year old daughter you better believe we'd be at the front of that line! Heck I plan to make sure my kids get every available vaccine even the ones that are not required! They should make that vaccine part of the school vaccinations, I'm all for freedoms and all that but this is a public health issue that uneducated idiots should not have a say in, even if they are the parents! Polio did not get eradicated from this country by not vaccinating... Besides she could get it from her future husband, you never know when it will be contracted and from whom, hence the having it at 12 thing. Wonder if the idiots would say the same if there was an HIV vaccine (which I hope there will be soon).

Tuburculosis
09-14-2006, 06:45 PM
i haste all vaccines.i dont see wats SO great about them.ok,i can understand hiv or other deadly desieses,but flu?
Edit from a year before: again, just pathetic. I like vaccines now. still hate the needles though...

Pollock II
09-14-2006, 08:58 PM
If you don't like vaccines, then by all means, if you're suffering from the flu or other fatal disease, you can think back and say "Wow, I'm so glad I didn't get that vaccine because I hate it soooooooooo much".

Why on earth would you say that you hated something that could damn well save your life!?

Do you know how many people die every year from the flu? Thousands! Seriously! You may be thinking "oooh the flu is just a bad bad bad cold" Nope. It's pretty dangerous, and it mutates, so the flu that was going around last year is NOT the same one going around this year.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:03 AM
If you don't like vaccines, then by all means, if you're suffering from the flu or other fatal disease, you can think back and say "Wow, I'm so glad I didn't get that vaccine because I hate it soooooooooo much".

Why on earth would you say that you hated something that could damn well save your life!?

Do you know how many people die every year from the flu? Thousands! Seriously! You may be thinking "oooh the flu is just a bad bad bad cold" Nope. It's pretty dangerous, and it mutates, so the flu that was going around last year is NOT the same one going around this year.

Actually worldwide there are several million people that die of influenza every year. There were millions of americans that died the last pandemic hit in the 1900's, and many of them were otherwise healthy adults, the least susceptable group in a population, which shows how bad that virus is! Influenza seems like a nothing disease but that is only because there are some not so bad strains out there, there are also killer strains of that bug and it is best to treat them all as if they are deadly because you never know. That virus mutates so readily a not so bad strain can mutate into a killer, or a not too infectious killer can combine with a very infectious not so bad strain to make a super strain, that is the fear with the asian bird flu, it is the same kind of virus, only called "asian bird" because it is in asia and currently mostly infects birds, but pretty much all the strains that have caused deadly human pandemics (huge multiple country to world wide infections) started in birds then recombined with the others, often in pigs, and became super pathogens in human.

TB do you know the chance that you would be alive and intact (as in not paralysed or completely brain damaged) today without your vaccinations, chances are not good! Pertusis (one of the giantmicrobes) causes whooping cough, that killed many children, diptheria was a huge killer with a high mortality rate, mumps can cause many problems, meningitis is a biggy, it can kill but often can cause deafness as well, the list goes on. Pretty much all the vaccines are against deadly diseases, diseases that killed many children because children are not as strong as adults as far as their immune system goes, if they were not deadly or seriously dehabilitating then there would have been no reason to have them developed in the first place, most pathogens do not have vaccines made against them, it takes a lot of time and money to develop, make, test, and market a vaccine. Anyone that tells you vaccines are a waste of time or bad is an uneducated idiot and you can tell them a PhD student in microbiology said so!

I would want my daughter(s) vaccinated before 12, at least one dose, most vaccines require more than one dose or boosters at regular intervals, like tetnus is supposed to be every 10 years (I'm about due but thinking about doing it when I turn 25 so it will be easy to remember when it is 10 years, unless I get stuck with something then I will have to get it before). There was a huge pertusis outbreak in IL a few years ago because that vaccine wears off in about 10 years, not a huge problem for the adults/teens because it is mostly a child killer (so Pollock and I would just get a bad cough but TB would likely be dead or brain damaged). The vaccine of the day was only approved for children up to 7 years old, the outbreak caused them to quickly develop an adult version, which I think I'll request when I get my tetnus shot or if I get shots before that I'll ask for it then, might as well get it all done at once.

I don't see how requiring HPV vaccinations is any different from requiring the others, the fanatics that are against the vaccination are generally against them all and have their kids in private (aka epidemics waiting to happen, or pathogen incubator) schools. Hmm that would be another one that I should get if it is out yet. As I recall HPV is the one that can be totally asymptomatic when you have it so you do not know you have a problem, causes symptoms in women only too if I am thinking of the right bug, I am more into bacteria than viruses... I think it is the one that when the immune system fights it off it can accidently target your body since the virus has a similar compound in it, think that is what ultimately causes the cancer, been awhile since I took immunology so I might be thinking of the wrong virus, there are several that do that though, not all can cause cancer later, many cause immune system disorders.

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:09 AM
I never get flu shots:( . I think a prick in the arm would be better than puking my guts out (had a bad stomach flu about 2 years ago)

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Common misconception, "stomach flu" is not influenza, it is a bacterial infection (or was it intoxication where you ingest a bacterial toxin and get sick not the actual bacterium), not caused by the virus. Influenza is a nasty respiratory ailment, like a cold on crack...

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:15 AM
really? I thought stomach flu was caused by the flu virus! Boy, was i off...

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:20 AM
Most people think so, I did until my microbiology professor gave that lecture...

Giardia
09-15-2006, 12:24 AM
wow, good to know

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:34 AM
A symptom of HPV is genital warts. It's weird that we're talking about HPV and cervical cancer, because today my friend's mom was diagnosed with cervical cancer, but she's going in for an LEEP treatment soon, and they have a really high success rate and they're pretty inexpensive, not to mention that it's a pretty simple proceedure.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 12:14 PM
Scarey, hope they caught it in time and everything goes great with the treatment! It is very exciting when they discover an organism that is responsible for something like that and can make up a vaccine against it. H. pylori, the stomach ulcer bug, has been linked with stomach cancer risk, no vaccine for that one as of yet, not sure if they are working on one but would not be surprised if they were, it would not be the easiest bug to make one for I don't think, it is an extremely high mutable bacteria, pretty much impossible to get a bunch of identical cells like most bacteria, though last I remember there are only two versions of one of its main proteins, they might target that one...

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 01:48 PM
It's a big step towards ending cancer as a whole. :D

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
i know,but some flu?some ARE just a bad bad bad cold.some are deadly,but some are just nothing.whick kind are you talking about?
also,kskerr!that is the HUGEST post ive ever seen.

Pollock II
09-15-2006, 02:02 PM
All influenza strains have the potetial to be deadly. And they are in a lot of cases. Flu also mutates, like I was saying earlier, which makes researchers very worried because the flu that is out this year is only 2 proteins different from the Bird Flu (a deadly disease with a rediculously high mortality rate), and if influenza mutates into bird flu, they're approximating that 200,000 people will die world wide, many in North America, especially if people have not gotten vaccinated.

Tuburculosis
09-15-2006, 03:25 PM
yes,bird flu is deadly.

kskerr
09-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Nothing wrong with a long post if it has a point, mine was informational. There are many factors involved with the flu and whether or not a particular stain is deadly or not, many have to do with the person. TB and I could get the same exact strain but since I am an overworked grad student that does not get enough sleep or food I might get it worse, or my immune system might partially recognise it from previous infections with similar strains and I might not get is as bad. Also women tend to have stronger immune systems than men (poor defective chromosome bearers). I think Africa would be screwed if the asian bird flu makes the jump (or any super strain of the flu), the AIDS population is so high and they are worse prepared to deal with it than we are. Any immunocompromised individial would be at risk, HIV/AIDS patients, organ transplant recipients (or anyone else taking immunosuppressives), diabetics, pregnant, young and old.

As I learned to do when I was learning lab techniques in micro, it is always best to assume the worst. The bacteria you are working with might be totally safe but it is best to treat it as you would a dangerous pathogen. Same with flu, you never know if a strain might be deadly, or deadly to you, so it is best to treat it as if it is and get the flu shot if at all possible and soon since we are getting close to flu season and it takes a month or two for it to really kick in.

I think that 200,000 deaths worldwide estimate sounds pretty low actually, maybe if that were for North America it would be closer, that last massive killer pandemic killed way more and there were less people back them and they did not have the HIV pandemic going around at the same time. The US currently does not have much in place to combat it, people have gotten too complacent about disease control since antibiotics, vaccines, and such have halted things that would have turned into large epidemics, most times break outs of disease are small and not too deadly like in the days before the new and rapid testing methods came out and there were vaccines et al. Back in the day, when my Dad was growing up, they had quarantines and that is how they stopped the spread of disease, those are pretty much unheard of here. People don't want their freedoms trampled, well I am all for freedom and all but sometimes you have to act in the best interest of society (though I admitt I went to work as a deli clerk with the flu, but I knew how to prevent spreading it to a point).

mazuac
09-15-2006, 09:37 PM
i was reading in the newspaper a while ago that bird flu might muutate into a form that can be transmitted from person to person... scarry...

kskerr
09-15-2006, 10:58 PM
That is what we were talking about in this or another thread, and I kinda explained how that is possible. Some of my page long posts...

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 07:11 AM
im not saying there is anything wrong,just ,its so BIG!

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 11:29 AM
I think that 200,000 deaths worldwide estimate sounds pretty low actually, maybe if that were for North America it would be closer

They're assuming that most of the deaths will be in the US my teacher said.

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 11:30 AM
oh no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Pollock II
09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
It's because people are mean and sneeze on things and dont' cover their mouths and they don't wash their hands after using the restroom... YUCK!

I was watching something on TV the other day where they tested a bowl of mints at a resteraunt (you know, the ones you can pick up on your way out) and they showed all these mints under a blac light, and it showed feces and urine on them!! The guy who did the research said that it's because very few people wash their hands. Not to mention that all the knobs in the bathrooms were covered in germs and stuff. I'll wash my hands after using the restoorm and when I get back to the table, I'll use my hand sanitizer that I keep on my keychain. I don't want to ingest someone else's fecal particles because they were disgusting and didn't wash their hands!

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 02:20 PM
THATS GROSS!yuck!urine and feices(spelled wrong,writre)!

kskerr
09-16-2006, 03:23 PM
Write is when you string words together, Right is when you are correct...

Hand washing is important though I am sure there are other things that fluoresce under a black light and so it might not be as dire as you fear. Most of those studies you have to take with a half a grain of salt because many are not conducted using proper science, they have much bias in them, and they only publish things that sound sensational. That is why I deplore the media so much, they publish crap like, "There are a million bacteria on the toilet seat!!!" and just freak people out. There are likely less bacteria on those seats than their used to be since cleaning solutions are getting better, bacteria are everywhere and on pretty much everything and most are not harmful so who cares. Guess what, I found there are over 1,000,000,000 bacteria per mL in yogurt, ooooo, scarey, better call CNN! Oh they could multiply it out and give the total number in the whole container, that would be an even bigger number, and I could be listed as a "lead investigater" in my field or something when I am just a lowly grad student.

For those of you who do not know, not Pollock because she knows this already, yogurt is made with bacteria and those bacteria are not harmful and many of them are beneficial even.

Most deaths would occur in third world countries for obvious reasons. It would likely hit us hard but I think that the death rate for us would be much lower than for them given our resouces and our public may be educatable (though thus far I admit that they are largely ignorant masses of uneducated stupidity).

Tuburculosis
09-16-2006, 04:18 PM
i know its made with bactiria.

kskerr
09-16-2006, 05:51 PM
Not everyone does...

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:15 PM
i didn't' know that snot was made with urine and fecis...

kskerr
09-16-2006, 07:31 PM
i didn't' know that snot was made with urine and fecis...

Please tell me you are joking and don't actually believe this...

mazuac
09-16-2006, 07:57 PM
wait, what??? i just scanned through... am i write? or wrong?

kskerr
09-16-2006, 08:36 PM
Snot is not made of feces or urine, it is completely separate from them. Feces are undigested food mixed with bacteria and chemicals your body secreted during digestion. Urine is waste and excess fluid from the kidneys filtering the blood. Snot is mucus made in the respiratory track to keep the membranes moist and clean.

mazuac
09-16-2006, 08:46 PM
ohhhh, okay, thank yOU! :)

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 12:32 AM
Urine helps your body get rid of nitrogen!

There, that's my cool science fact for the day.

Tuburculosis
09-17-2006, 07:02 AM
ok.i know snot is not urine or fecies,but i did not know urine gets rid of nitrogen.

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Your body can't really do anything with it, so it just goes out with all the other things your body didn't use or need.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 03:26 PM
weird, so pee contains traces of Nitrogen gases... weird, i am gonna tell my health teacher that!

Pollock II
09-17-2006, 03:28 PM
It's not nitrogen gases, it's jsut mixed in with your urine. Urine doesn't have gases coming off of it... if it did, there's probably be a doctor or 4 or 5 involved.

mazuac
09-17-2006, 03:33 PM
oh... okay, well, still, because the nitrogen is excessed through the process of urination, traces of nitrogen will still be found in the urine and or around it...