PDA

View Full Version : New microbes

godiīs
02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
Hey giantmicroges.com Iīm was tinking, why donīt you:confused: you make a sperm, a chromosome, a neuron and an ovum eh...CAUSE THAT WILL BE REALLY GREAT!:D

mazuac
02-20-2007, 10:53 AM
um... i dunno...:(

laonefaye
03-08-2007, 10:42 PM
Might I also suggest a staph infection microbe? I know several RNs who would get a kick out of one.

kskerr
03-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Staphylococcus would be a good addition I agree :) .

Adenine
04-03-2007, 08:44 PM
Has anyone tried e-mailing them lately? I did a couple weeks ago and never got a reply. Also, their live chat reps haven't been online in quite a while.

bh518
04-04-2007, 05:53 PM
i emailed them a couple of months back. it took them a while to reply to mine, mustve been about 2 weeks to be honest. and i havent seen a chat rep online for weeks and weeks and weeks!!!

Stentor
04-07-2007, 04:34 AM
Since there are already some insects there should be aphids and mealy bugs--maybe cochineal scale, since it can be used for red dye. Plus they're all so cute. And there should still be a slime mold.

mazuac
04-20-2007, 03:16 PM
there should be a DNA microbe, and uh... yah...

kskerr
04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
DNA is a molecule not a microbe ;), but a plush DNA strand would be coolness.

Adenine
04-26-2007, 10:32 AM
I have a plush DNA from here: www.thednastore.com

kskerr
04-29-2007, 05:25 PM
That site is hilarious, I especially enjoyed the beaker mugs, autoclavable, lol!!!!!

mazuac
05-01-2007, 06:28 AM
i looked at the site to, i liked the crystal cubes and the lamps:) YAY FOR DNA!

Giardia
07-07-2007, 09:01 PM
the only thing missing is eyes;)

Tuburculosis
07-20-2007, 09:25 AM
lol, That is weird. I never new anyone could be so obsessed with one thing!:rolleyes:

Crazy4Microbes
08-31-2007, 12:47 PM
yah how strange. DNA Necklaces? DNA ties? DNA Lamps????? The creative mind never stops working, I suppose.:D

mazuac
09-02-2007, 10:22 AM
Yes, but there kinda tacky... OMG! Did I just say Tacky!?!?!?! OMG DID I JUST SAY OMG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! GAHHHHHHHHH! wait... what?:confused:

Stentor
09-04-2007, 12:30 AM
You should probably be more worried about the use of the word "there" instead of "they're" if you really want to freak out about something...to be fair...

sceptor
09-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I think the sperm microbe might cause some controversy if it were made.

Stentor
09-06-2007, 06:24 PM
I don't see why anyone would have trouble with sperm, they are just cells, sexual yes but who cares... Purple Flavor actually makes a whole collection of different sperm characters...and they're really cute... Why not a giant microbe?

sceptor
09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
I don't see why anyone would have trouble with sperm, they are just cells, sexual yes but who cares... Purple Flavor actually makes a whole collection of different sperm characters...and they're really cute... Why not a giant microbe?
Because people make a big deal out of everything nowadays. :(

Stentor
09-07-2007, 03:50 AM
yes that they do...but sperm are gametes...used for reproduction...if people do various not so PG things with them that is not the fault of the reproductive material and one should not instantly come to that conclusion. One would worry more about the person finding something inherently dirty about some innocent little cells in seminal fluid...

sceptor
09-07-2007, 04:42 PM
yes that they do...but sperm are gametes...used for reproduction...if people do various not so PG things with them that is not the fault of the reproductive material and one should not instantly come to that conclusion. One would worry more about the person finding something inherently dirty about some innocent little cells in seminal fluid...
It doesnt matter, parents think that anything that has to do with the reproductive system will destroy their childrens minds.

Stentor
09-07-2007, 11:25 PM
That's quite a blanket statement...not all--in fact a very small minority of parents think like that. There are lots of instruction books etcetera outlining the reproductive system for children...kids often ask where babies come from. Why not show them with an innocuous little flagellate cell? There is really no need for unreasoned paranoid nay-saying.

sceptor
09-08-2007, 03:48 PM
That's quite a blanket statement...not all--in fact a very small minority of parents think like that. There are lots of instruction books etcetera outlining the reproductive system for children...kids often ask where babies come from. Why not show them with an innocuous little flagellate cell? There is really no need for unreasoned paranoid nay-saying.

Here's my reply, the stork.

Stentor
09-08-2007, 05:34 PM
The stork story is now more a piece of outdated pop culture than an accepted answer for "where babies come from?" and if one is deluding their child to that degree why even tell the child what it is? If it honestly thinks that is how it works...a sperm could be a microbial puppy for all they care... Besides--these are often teaching tools for children much older than the age where one would believe in baby delivering birds. A lot of the people collecting these are middle school or older--especially a lot of college students. What parents think becomes fairly irrelevant at this point...

Tuburculosis
12-04-2007, 02:43 PM
OMG DID I JUST SAY OMG!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Don't like saying OMG? It means
Oh
My
Grasshoppers

Crazy4Microbes
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
a sperm cell GM probably would cause trouble. Parents can be, well, stupid sometimes about things like that. Like, how some parents are trying to ban the Harry Potter books cuz they dont want their children knowing about "witchcraft" and such. They also dont like the chartacter Voldemort cuz he murders people and they think that their kids will get "ideas" If a BOOK SERIES for crying out loud causes such a commotion, imagine wat would happen if they came out with a sperm cell. Geez

Tuburculosis
12-10-2007, 04:24 PM
Exactly. I'm not allowed to get H.I.V., The Clap,The Pox, Herpes, or Chlamydia. Just imagine sperms and eggs, adults would start boycotting Giant microbes. Ridiculous, sad, but true.
And as Crazy4Microbes said, adults worry that everything will ruin children's mind.

Stentor
12-10-2007, 11:58 PM
They are still just gametes, kids learna bout those pretty early and a lot of the jokes in disney and what-have-you especially things like Shrek--way more adult. These are simple body cells--little kids would not exist without copious numbers of sperm and eggs... These are not made as sex joke toys--they are teaching implements. And The Golden Compass was seen by some as a children's movie--where it most certainly is not. And there were more little kids out to see those pirate movies than...there should have been. PIRATES RAPE PEOPLE! Sperm are fairly innocent most of the time. Pirates rape all the time. And steal, and lie, and rape, and rape and rape some more. Thus we really can't complain about sperm because sperm don't kill people--pirates with sperm rape people. Also Keith Richards was in that last movie--I am pretty liberal minded but I still would never let my hypothetical children see Keith Richards. He is way scarier than sperm.

Tuburculosis
12-11-2007, 04:18 PM
right... I don't quite follow your point. plz explain more clearly.

mazuac
12-13-2007, 08:28 AM
a sperm cell GM probably would cause trouble. Parents can be, well, stupid sometimes about things like that. Like, how some parents are trying to ban the Harry Potter books cuz they dont want their children knowing about "witchcraft" and such. They also dont like the chartacter Voldemort cuz he murders people and they think that their kids will get "ideas" If a BOOK SERIES for crying out loud causes such a commotion, imagine wat would happen if they came out with a sperm cell. Geez
I second this! However, it's mostly christian radicals who are trying to ban the Harry Potter books... *like the Golden Compass, which, by the way was an awesome movie and all the books where fantastic!*

mazuac
12-13-2007, 08:32 AM
They are still just gametes, kids learna bout those pretty early and a lot of the jokes in disney and what-have-you especially things like Shrek--way more adult. These are simple body cells--little kids would not exist without copious numbers of sperm and eggs... These are not made as sex joke toys--they are teaching implements. And The Golden Compass was seen by some as a children's movie--where it most certainly is not. And there were more little kids out to see those pirate movies than...there should have been. PIRATES RAPE PEOPLE! Sperm are fairly innocent most of the time. Pirates rape all the time. And steal, and lie, and rape, and rape and rape some more. Thus we really can't complain about sperm because sperm don't kill people--pirates with sperm rape people. Also Keith Richards was in that last movie--I am pretty liberal minded but I still would never let my hypothetical children see Keith Richards. He is way scarier than sperm.
Yes... but your taking into acount what an older, not-a-father, person would think. Most parents would feel kind of... I dunno' violated with having a sperm and egg microbe out. Sure they don't do anything, except create children, but there is a reason parents don't want their children to know about babies. Because they are to young to understand! Imagine telling your 4-6 year-old "oh, babies are made by your daddy ---" I wont continue because most of you should know, so... yeah... My opinion though...

Tuburculosis
12-29-2007, 10:12 AM
I second this! However, it's mostly christian radicals who are trying to ban the Harry Potter books... *like the Golden Compass, which, by the way was an awesome movie and all the books where fantastic!*

I know, Harry Potter isn't bad at all, people over react to it. The Golden Compass though, anti-religion and just plain stupid.:mad: I can see why people hate them. but Harry Potter and other books with sorcery and stuff are ok. Christians do overreact sometimes (Harry Potter), but we have good reasons sometimes (Golden Compass) .

Tuburculosis
12-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Yes... but your taking into acount what an older, not-a-father, person would think. Most parents would feel kind of... I dunno' violated with having a sperm and egg microbe out. Sure they don't do anything, except create children, but there is a reason parents don't want their children to know about babies. Because they are to young to understand! Imagine telling your 4-6 year-old "oh, babies are made by your daddy ---" I wont continue because most of you should know, so... yeah... My opinion though...

I agree. But why do they feel violated by it? Its just a body function... just my opinion.

mazuac
12-31-2007, 12:21 PM
I know, Harry Potter isn't bad at all, people over react to it. The Golden Compass though, anti-religion and just plain stupid.:mad: I can see why people hate them. but Harry Potter and other books with sorcery and stuff are ok. Christians do overreact sometimes (Harry Potter), but we have good reasons sometimes (Golden Compass) .
have you read the books???

Tuburculosis
12-31-2007, 09:47 PM
I didn't bother. read an interview with the author. he is disgusting. I read the first few pages on Amazon.com too. The Golden Compass is ok. The other two... are horrible.

I want to kill God in the minds of children.

See?

But please, I don't want to bring this to the forums. this will probably result in a lot of spam. spam leads to flame wars. flame wars lead to BANS. I don't want that. I already brought loads of spam to these forums. left for a year, came back, and deleted it all. I don't want to do it again.:(

mazuac
01-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Yeah, I don't want to get into a fight over this, but could I get a link to the website you got that from?

sceptor
01-23-2008, 09:15 PM
The movie "The Golden Compass" was terrible. It was the most rediculous thing I had ever seen. Half of the time I thought I was watching some wacky coca cola commercial.
Btw, I mean the polar bears in the arctic.

Stentor
01-27-2008, 12:40 AM
Many of the visuals in The Golden Compass are the visual manifestations of complex psychological and theological ideas/concepts. They may seem goofy if you do not know why they are there. If you have read all the books and have looked into those concepts it is a very interesting series/movie. Granted the books are better and some is overkill...such as orbs of magic power...? Weird...but yeah. Oh and if you think that is bad wait for the tiny people who ride dragonflies. That is gonna be tough to not make look goofy. I am really glad that isn't my job.

And also--pirates rape people. Sperm do not. Who cares about stupid sperm when the most popular children's characters rape and steal and also: rape.